What Are You Reading?

Finally just started reading more lately, happily. Just finished this,

174-2.jpg

Blaze by Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman.

I just picked up a copy of The Grand Illusion: Love, Lies and My Life With Styx by Chuck Panozzo, a book which I've already read and enjoyed, and finished reading it again. Its a great book even if you're not into Styx. :)

When it gets here, I'm going to dive into this...

7B1C87DE44-4C9F-46DD-A9D0-ABE28B698.jpg

:mrgreen:

Starter re-reading BOFH, then the Sherlock Holmes series from the beginning

Just picked up this Michael Chabon novel today
wme2bq.jpg

Almost finished this really cool McSweeney's anthology, issue 22 - Three books held within by magnets
1zfqtty.jpg

The Lord God Made Them All - James Herriot

Good collection of stories for me to read at college in the morning before classes start, my copy is ancient hard back from 1982, makes people stare and laugh when I'm reading in the cafeteria! :lol:

The Lord God Made Them All - James Herriot

Good collection of stories for me to read at college in the morning before classes start, my copy is ancient hard back from 1982, makes people stare and laugh when I'm reading in the cafeteria! :lol:

I love those books! I don't know how old my copies are, but I think they are somewhere the early 80s. 1972 :p The audio books read by Christopher Timothy are really good as well.

I just finished this. A good and entertaining book except for the one part where he talks about dangerous/deadly animals in Australia. I read that bit right before going to bed and consequently had a really freaking scary dream about bugs and jelly fish. :cry:
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mc/mclightning95/2010/05/15/aus.jpg

Am now moving on to this. I started it in the middle of the semester but then never had the time (or brain power) to properly understand what I was reading. I am so happy I am done for the semester and I have time to read things other than textbooks again!:D
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mc/mclightning95/2010/05/15/his.jpg

Last edited:
Just started...

Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Hunter.jpg

Pretty damn good so far.

Sorry to quote my own post but just finished that book and it was great.

Actually made me go get real biography of Lincoln to read. I haven't read one in 15 or so years now.

I also actually learned real things about Lincoln in this book.

Did you know Lincoln is the only sitting president to have actually been fired upon in battle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Stevens

Lincoln went to watch the battle from the fort and Confederate sharp shooters fired on him.

President Lincoln, his wife Mary, and some officers rode out to observe the attack, and were briefly under enemy fire that wounded a Union surgeon standing next to him on the Fort Stevens parapet. Lincoln was brusquely ordered to take cover by an officer, probably Horatio Wright, although apocryphal stories claim that it was Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Maj. Gen. John C. Breckinridge, former U.S. vice president and one of Lincoln's opponents in the presidential election of 1860, was one of the Confederate commanders; the Battle of Fort Stevens marks the only occasion in American history when two former opponents in a presidential election faced one another across battle lines and the only time in American history a sitting president was under fire in combat. Breckinridge was a cousin of Mary Todd Lincoln and a beau in her youth.

how-to-win-friends-and-influence-people.jpg

I make a point to read this book once every year.

Sheridan_coverjpg.jpg

shogun.jpg

1984. Finally got round to reading it.

I've been vastly interested in economics lately. Reading mathemtatics and physics as a hobby, at times, is a very nerdy thing to do. Even as a scientist. So, now I'm reading the following.
meltdown.jpg

Right now, I am reading "La trilogie Berlinoise", the french version of "Berlin Noir", 3 books in one from Philip Kerr. It is the story of a private detective in Berlin during the Hitler era. Very good.

Before that, I read the Millenium trilogy from Stieg Larsson. Probably the best books I read in my life. Those books are very big and long to read, but during the month I read them, the only thing I wanted to do was to read. I liked the way it was written, the way people are in the book, and the details from the places. Most of the action takes place in Stockholm, whitch is the city I like the most. And every place in the book is really existing and exxactly where the author placed them. Except from Hedestadt and Hedeby, the small city of the first part. They do movies from the 3 books. They were good, but the books are a million times better.

Before that, I read the Millenium trilogy from Stieg Larsson. Probably the best books I read in my life. Those books are very big and long to read, but during the month I read them, the only thing I wanted to do was to read. I liked the way it was written, the way people are in the book, and the details from the places. Most of the action takes place in Stockholm, whitch is the city I like the most. And every place in the book is really existing and exxactly where the author placed them. Except from Hedestadt and Hedeby, the small city of the first part. They do movies from the 3 books. They were good, but the books are a million times better.

I'm about 1/3 of the way trough the first book, it's good but I can't say I'm really hooked so far. Maybe it will come later.

Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread.

I'm about 1/3 of the way trough the first book, it's good but I can't say I'm really hooked so far. Maybe it will come later.
I'm with you completely. I've only read the first two, but from what people have said and my own experience, it just never clicks. The two main characters do nothing for me and the whole plot just seems cheesy. Perhaps the last book will change my mind...

Anyway, I'm in the process of reading all of Dennis Lehane's books. The first novel of his I read was The Given Day and it just blew me away; he's an amazing writer. Just finished A Drink Before the War and about to pick this up:

400000000000000041697_s4.jpg

The first one starts slowly. The second book is better and the third even better. But I had the advantage of having visited Stockholm before, so I knew exactly where things were.

9780375506239.jpg

Tonight I'm starting Revenge, which is Stephen Fry's modern retelling of The Count Of Monte Cristo. I really like Fry's books. They are a challenging read, which I appreciate.