What are your favourite/ideal driving conditions?

What are your favourite/ideal driving conditions?

• Total voters
Depends on a lot of things,

I voted light snow though. like maybe 5 inches hard packed covering all the roads.

The roads are also unbearably bumpy here and the snow smooths them out big time.

For anything over 60kph id probably say clear and cold though.

Edit- 666th post - I hope I don't slide off a road this winter, :lol:

Last edited:
I usually prefer the worst driving condition (dark/heavy rain/cold). I know it's wrong and politically incorrect, but It's much much more thrilling! :D

Overcast = better visibility through your windows without sun reflection off of them and the road.
Light rain = love the smell, and makes my Camaro's ass hang wide! :D
Cool = cool air going through the intake is a good thing, plus you can have the windows down and the aircon off!

Early morning/dawn, clear and cool. Nothing better.

Last week I was driving back home after visiting some friends, and it was getting dark. The sun was setting, windows were down, the sun was setting, and I was in a road on top of some mountains where I could see all my "shire" (actually I don't think there's a word in English to describe what we call a "comarca").

I was doing 80km/h (veeeery slow) but I was enjoying every single bit of it.

when bright and sunny, though perhaps more importantly when it is high in the sky at noon so it doesn't cause the eyes too much of a struggle. after a light spell of rain can be pretty good too.

Don't care as long as it's about 80 degrees. Tires work well then. Any hotter and slicks start to fall off real bad.

Also no fucking motocrossers getting dirt on my nice clean track.

when I am driving my 4wd touring beater its perfect heavy snow, nothing more fun, however my summer car is fwd so clear and not to hot is good

Early, early morning. 2am-4am, when the roads are empty. Preferably a Tuesday.

No clouds, and I can watch the sun rise.

Around 72 degrees.

Perfection.

Depends on why I'm on the road. And where. If I actually need to go somewhere, then clear, warm weather is nice. But I love going out in heavy snow.

My favorite time to drive is when it is snowing. Good old AWD + snow = heaven for me. The more snow the better for me. I love seeing snow drifts across the road, plowing through them and seeing the snow go over the windshield (just make sure you are boosting before you hit it). Now I wish it were winter and snow where I now live...NC sucks.

One of my favourite drives was on a clear summer's evening, warm (by British standards, anyway) across the moor when nobody else was around.
Late at night is fun as well, because nobody is out and about in these parts at that time.

It is interesting to see that such a large percentage of people prefer a clear day. For me, a clear day just lacks the excitement and atmosphere of a rainy/snowy/foggy day.

On another note, this morning I drove through some very dense fog across the flats. :) I love fog! It's so mysterious.

Clear, cool days are great for riding, but I love taking the SUV out in the snow at night when there's few others on the road. It's more challenging and I enjoy being able to pull stuck cars out of snowbanks.

For me it's driving at night, when it's cool and clear.

For instance a few nights ago I was out on some country highway at 1am, the sky was clear and it was 60-65 degrees. Truck was running great (which is strange :p). Led Zepplin's "When the Levee Breaks" was on the radio. Perfect.

With studded tires, a rwd car and a bit of skill its not dangerous, it's just incredibly good fun :)

Yes and for how many months have you had your license? Also, how many winters have you driven through? :lol:

Anyway, I prefer it being dust, clear and warmish. Won't be many people on the road then. If you want to drive like a looney in snow you wan't to do that on an empty parking lot anyway.

surprised so many people picked clear.

My preferences = dusk because sundown looks awesome if the surroundings let them
mild rain because you can have more fun without going super fast

and cool because it's just best

:)

I'm not a fan of mild rain because we get so little out here that it makes the roads a slick as ice in some spots. The weather's not bad enough for fuckwits who can't drive to stay home either. Usually in my area these storms are isolated and small, so you get sun with the rain, resulting in bad glare, slick pavement and people who don't realize how dangerous the conditions are.

Nope, I like to be on the road alone.