What are your favourite/ideal driving conditions?

What are your favourite/ideal driving conditions?

• Total voters

darkshark0159

Car(s)
Mercedes-Benz C240 W203, British Rail Class 450
It was lightly raining this evening, so I decided to go out for a nice Sunday drive. :cool: I had a fantastic time just driving through the dark, twisty mountains with the drizzle coming down and the mist coming off of the road and reflecting in my lights as a fog. It was fantastic. It reminded me of how much I love to drive in an overcast or evening rain.

What are your favourite driving conditions?

Last edited:
Dusk/warm/clear. I can take the top down and not get hit with sunburns and sweat, and warm is just nice with the wind hitting you :)

Either clear and dry (temperature doesn't make a difference), or something INTENSE. I love challenges and danger. IMO trudging along at 35 in a 65 because there's 2 inches of snow on top of it and PennDOT is useless, knowing that if someone else fucks up you can't brake (and when you forget that and try to brake a little, having to recover it) is more exciting than mountain blasting.

Torrential downpours, epic thunderstorms, hurricanes, thundersnow (just once, but that was my favorite drive EVER - it literally felt like I was driving through hell itself), blizzards, extreme icing. Essentially, if the man on TV tells you not to travel, that's when I enjoy it the most. Also interesting is the morning after an anticipated snowstorm that never materialized is interesting because everyone else is driving along like "OH NO THE SALT MIGHT CHIP MY WAX!" and I'm like "How much if it can I get to stick to my car?"

My grey Focus was almost white until APRIL when it finally rained (I don't believe in car washes. The car wears that stuff as a badge of honor. I even stick strictly to the internal windshield washer and the wipers.)

Last edited:
Either clear and dry (temperature doesn't make a difference), or something INTENSE. I love challenges and danger. IMO trudging along at 35 in a 65 because there's 2 inches of snow on top of it and PennDOT is useless, knowing that if someone else fucks up you can't brake (and when you forget that and try to brake a little, having to recover it) is more exciting than mountain blasting.

Torrential downpours, epic thunderstorms, hurricanes, thundersnow (just once, but that was my favorite drive EVER - it literally felt like I was driving through hell itself), blizzards, extreme icing. Essentially, if the man on TV tells you not to travel, that's when I enjoy it the most. Also interesting is the morning after an anticipated snowstorm that never materialized is interesting because everyone else is driving along like "OH NO THE SALT MIGHT CHIP MY WAX!" and I'm like "How much if it can I get to stick to my car?"

My grey Focus was almost white until MARCH when it finally rained (I don't believe in car washes. The car wears that stuff as a badge of honor. I even stick strictly to the internal windshield washer and the wipers.)

While I do love driving in a snowstorm (given a suitable vehicle for it) you just can't beat a cool overcast day. No sun to shine into my eyes, perfect ambient lighting conditions so no surprises, and no need to fiddle with heat or a/c... just open the windows.

I have to admit I enjoyed the couple of drives home last year in the snow in my Sebring. No traction control, low to the ground, but nothing could stop that thing.

^^I do agree with those epic driving conditions. It feels just like that: epic and adventurous, and I love a good adventure. One of my fonder moments of driving was in a heavy snow and horrible lighting conditions where the Interstate was just a great one lane snow road.

Last edited:
Before the sun comes up, slight rain, fall day. Perfection....

I had a pretty nice drive tonight actually. It was unseasonably cool, 72F when I started out, 65F by the time I got home. I strongly prefer to have the windows down so I actually had on a jacket today, in the deep south, in August. It was late afternoon and dusk and the sunset was just so nice. I was a bit disappointed i had to watch the road and not the scenery. Thing is though, there are so many other times I like just as much. Winter with the windows cracked and the heat blasting. Summer when they plants are greener than green. Rain when it's dark and dreary. I'd have a hard time choosing a true favorite.

I voted for a cool clear day, but I must confess I enjoy driving in the rain, but only during the day.

I had a pretty nice drive tonight actually. It was unseasonably cool, 72F when I started out, 65F by the time I got home. I strongly prefer to have the windows down so I actually had on a jacket today, in the deep south, in August. .

:lol: Maybe we should have been more specific on temperature. I had that temperature in mind when I clicked off "warm"

What I meant by that section is, before you get in to your car does the air make you feel cold, cool, warm, or hot? It is dependant on the person, not the temperature.

Raining or just about any time in winter because my car is RWD and has no weight over the rear end :thumbsup:

Hmm- what I voted was in the middle because I didn't want to vote twice.

Driving conditions that I would like depend on what I'm driving. If it's the MX5, a clear and slightly cool evening, top down, is brilliant. If it's a bike like the little Yami, a cold day with a light rain is (admittedly) slightly uncomfortable but plenty of fun.

:lol: Maybe we should have been more specific on temperature. I had that temperature in mind when I clicked off "warm"

Oh that's amusing. Actually got a chuckle out of me in my wallow of self pity tonight. I would say those temps are only cool when you're driving with the windows down. I probably wouldn't have worn the jacket to go for a walk or something.

I just love a slightly warm and clear morning when there is nobody on the small roads I usually take.

But I also love a good night blast with a bit of light rain to make it just that bit more exciting.

^I was referring to top-down convertible too :lol:

I love to go out in the early am (4ish)right after a rain while the roads are still wet. I don't know why, but most people hate to drive before the roads dry off.

Light rain in the evening has good atmosphere. But what I REALLY like is cloud in the evening, to diffuse sunlight.