What are your "non-negotiables" for your next car?

I was wishing I had drums on the bobtail when I was trying to remove the caliper bolts from behind and then one broke, drums would've been so much easier to take apart if they even needed the backing plates removing to replace the wheel bearing.

On the other hand they're terrifying when they get wet.

I've just been watching the latest Aging wheels, 'V8' and 'wagon' might be two requirements of my next car, although I wouldn't buy an E-class. I'd probably buy a Range Rover, which is close to being a wagon. Sort of. I'd love a Jag XFR-S Sportbrake...

Edit: Maybe just 'V8' as I'm now watching videos of MGB GT V8s and Sunbeam Tigers. Man, I just like cars apparently. :LOL:

Last edited:
Toyota will gladly sell you a 40k USD Tacoma with drum brakes in the rear.

Discs are a must for me because they’re easy to DIY - drums are seemingly a royal pain in the ass - if I end up with drums for some reason I’ll be returning to just paying out the ass for a shop to do it.
On EVs at least, one of the reasoning for rear drums is less need for maintenance... not sure if that holds up, but VW claims the pads are good for a car's lifetime on the ID3/4.

Probably not the same lifetime as a Toyota Hiace or Mercedes W124 diesel, but it’s obvious that brakes will see less use when regenerative braking does most of the stopping.

Jag XFR-S Sportbrake
Holy moly, never knew these even existed in wagon form! 551hp V8! :oops:
Looked it up and they are incredibly rare around here, only 1 on Autoscout.ch for sale, for example. And boy what an angry looking beast it is:

xfR.jpg

But I strongly assume these don't come with AWD? :( - Bugger!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

But all our supercar-in-family-wagon-shape flauntig aside, and with that pedaling back to @rickhamilton620's original post, what are your actual options, Rick? With (I assume) a modest budget or without selling your soul, your manhood, or your whole life to the banks? What would be a reasonable choice considering the current used car price inflation in your regions?

1. parsh
2. tow package capable of hauling the race car
3. good color (preferably Mahogany Metallic)
4. buttony interior (not a third-gen, but probably the second-gen)
5. ???
6. not profit, definitely not profit

Yes! Just a smidge older, though. The slick panel where buttons should be is a tad annoying.
10/10 still would.

But all our supercar-in-family-wagon-shape flauntig aside, and with that pedaling back to @rickhamilton620's original post, what are your actual options, Rick? With (I assume) a modest budget or without selling your soul, your manhood, or your whole life to the banks? What would be a reasonable choice considering the current used car price inflation in your regions?

Wasn't making a suggestion thread for myself :ROFLMAO: but honestly I'm all over the place right now tbh. My specific wants narrows down what's in my price range considerably - I don't want to spend more than about 23k on a car. That'd put my monthly payment at around 350 a month - I don't want to over extend myself so i'd rather lose some features and options and be comfortable.

I'm using CarMax as a example because all the inventory is nationwide and easy to filter - There's only 128 cars that are manual and with sunroof that are in the price range i'm looking at: https://www.carmax.com/cars/manual-6-speed/manual-5-speed/sunroof(s)?price=23000

I also don't want to go any older than 5 years and ideally have mileage that isn't super high - I plan on bringing my own financing and the 5 year requirement is from my credit union.

I've looked at MK6 GLI's but everyone says they drive far worse than MK6/7 GTI's and have shittier interiors.

Reactions: lip
But I strongly assume these don't come with AWD? :( - Bugger!
Seems to be the case, sadly. There are AWD XF wagons but not with the big engine, maybe with enough money an XFR-S engine could be put in a sleeper XF wagon. 😀

A search for AWD V8 wagons in this country is basically all Audi with the odd MB. I did find this BMW 540i xDrive 6-banger in a glorious green.

I live the shitbox life, so nearly everything is fair game. For a regular use car I require:

1 - A heater
2 - Some form of ICE I can plug my iPod into, a cassette player does the job

Erm. That's about it.

Things that I'd really like:

1 - Electric Windows
2 - Cruise control
3 - Air con
4 - Central locking

For the next ridiculous pre-1980 thing I buy I'd quite like something 50/60s, preferably a 6 cylinder. But beggars can't be choosers. At that point luxury equipment is stuff like sun visors and wing mirrors so sweating over details is pointless.

Who this has gotten out of hand - these "Non Negotiables" range from "I want disc brakes all around" to "I need a heated steering wheel".
One is ridiculously basic and standard (?) on all cars, the other is a luxury no one REALLY needs matter how cold it gets where you live....

Also I see the need for an "everyday" commuter car and a "fun" category since those are 2 completely different animals with completely different requirements.

For me, I'm quite a simple man, so my list is quite short :

NEEDS

EV drivetrain (so automatic transmission aswell)
"sufficient" horsepower or power/weight ratio. For an EV of normal size I'd say 150-200 hp is all you need really.
More is fun to have, but not really essential
Decent size battery/range (50+ kwh at least)
Decent (150+ kw fast charging speed)
Adaptive cruise control (I don't understand people who use this once and don't want this all the time)
A good aircon/heatpump
Android Auto / Apple Carplay
Towbar (because bikes)
Heated seats that you can sit in for hours without getting back ache.

WANTS

"premium" sound system
driver aids like automatic parking, lane assist, etc
remote heating/cooling via app
leather interior
LED headlights
HUD

DON'T REALLY CARE
sunroof
bigger/fancier wheels
heated steering wheel
seat cooling
Keyless go
Dug up this thread, and my current car has ALL of the things I listed (except the sunroof because the dealer was daft).
I still kinda agree with the order I put things in though...

Well that's easy: Basicly like my current car, just with more power. *innocent shoulder shrug*

1. I need this, I want this, no sale without this:
- V8, V10, V12, atleast 450hp, yes yes yes ...and eh yes.
- AWD - Ski resort in a winter storm is the wanted norm.
- Wagon, Avant, Kombi, shooting brake - No space for two bikes makes me go yikes.
- Heated seats - The Admiral's balaklava must feel like a toast on lava
- Automatic - call me lazy... and I agree
- Aircon - is a must have addon
Hey @lip

You broke pretty much ALL your own rules (aside from the autobox one) by buying (and enjoying) a Twizy.
Just found this thread again, thought I'd annoy you for a bit

kthxbye!

He's covered Automatic by being an EV and Air Con by it not having proper doors, I suppose. :p

Heated seats would mean a battery fire, so...

• Haha
Reactions: lip
^^

"Your honor, that was more than two years ago, I have no recollection of that event". :ROFLMAO:

Granted, I went completely off the rails... but in a good way:

It's a bit like you want to stay in a luxury suite with a hot tub, nothing less sir oh no, but then you realise a sleeping bag on a green grassed alp with a cold spring as a morning bath makes you happy the same way, if not more, like in this case.

Yeah, the way the Twizy stole my heart and petrolhead surprised me too. - But there it is. :D(y)

Ha, just noticed, the last line fine print exonerates me completely. 👏😄

IMG_9711.jpeg

Not even cheating by adding it today. 🤣