What car did you learn to drive in?

DSC01713.JPG

The very car i learned in (officially) and that's my instructor as well.

First car I drove was an AMC Concord like the one below (no power brakes, that was fun). Finished up my license in our Dodge Caravan. I had a Chrysler LeBaron as my first runabout.

Concord
http://img162.imageshack.**/img162/2934/concordru4.png

Learned to drive in a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac.

Got my license and was handed the keys to a 1986 Toyota Pickup (yes, pickup is the model). Switching from a heavier, 4WD V6 pickup for disc brakes to a 86 toyota lightweight 4cyl lead me to brake and slide my way into an intersection nail a minivan and end up with an even uglier pickup. Exactly 7 days to the day that I got my license. Drove the Toyota for another 6 months when I bought a rustbucket 1982 Mercedes Benz 240D.

I'll get my pics later and post them to this via Edit.

StangAudi1-1.jpg

It was so slow with the 6 cylinder and 3 speed auto, but it was so much fun.

Our driving school had a bunch of Mk4 Golfs with Diesel engines and one 3series BMW.
During the time I was in driving school my dad also tought me with his 1989 VW Passat 1.8. :p
I miss the Passat. :) It was awesome. Parents got rid of it. :(

Oh yeah, cars you learned to drive in. That would be my mum's renault megane (and before that the clio and skoda favorit). I started driving quite early but didn't bother getting a licence till age 21.

I learned to drive in a combination of an '83 300D Mercedes, 97 Jeep Wrangler, and an '01 Mercedes ML320. My driving school car was a POS Ford something with bald tires that always got me in trouble with the instructor in the rain :(

I learned to drive in a 1995 VW Golf III SDI, which was replaced halfway through my lessons by a 1998 VW Golf IV SDI.... It was unbelievable slow, 64 unturbocharged diesel ps in a car weighing more than 1000kg, with the irritable VW diesel gearing (extremely short 1st gear (redline at about 20 kph) and extremely long other gears. i was constantly flooring the accelerator and revving it to the redline to get anywhere at all. Utter, utter crap car, i still feel pity for people when i see one around.

I learnt on the same car as you - our Golf III SDI, which was the car I was driving as well until I bought my first car at the age of 20. We nicknamed her tractor, because she was similar slow and loud and sounded like a tractor a little bit as well. On the other hand, it was one of the easiest, if not the easiest, car I've ever driven, and compared to the three Golf IV TDI's we got after the SDI it was the most reliable as well despite its 170.000km as an instructor's car.

91' Nissan Sentra/Sunny (hardest clutch ever), and 94' Honda Accord w/slushbox

I learn to scare old ppl in the very same volvo i drive now.. and a -93 Golf tdi and a -02 Audi A3..

A 1989 GMC Sierra Pickup, except with a canopy and a winch stuck out the front.

baddawg4.jpg

Also a late 90's Chevy Tahoe

98%20Tahoe%20with%20Comptons_500x280.JPG

Then I learned a manual in a 1989 Honda Civic hatchback

dirtydx.jpg

First motorcycle: 1997 Honda Magna

C.jpg

I learned to drive in a combination of an '83 300D Mercedes, 97 Jeep Wrangler, and an '01 Mercedes ML320. My driving school car was a POS Ford something with bald tires that always got me in trouble with the instructor in the rain :(
Haha! I learned in an ML too. Well, legally, I'm still learning.

The car I used for driving school was a newer Ford Focus. That was, well, interesting on the highways and uphill.

Haha! I learned in an ML too. Well, legally, I'm still learning.

The car I used for driving school was a newer Ford Focus. That was, well, interesting on the highways and uphill.
Ours was fun on the highway too! Get it in the tire ruts and that thing was a pain to keep going in a straight line. Again, getting me in trouble with the instructor.

d2f5_1.JPG

1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic with it's 5.7 litre, 200 hp 8 cylinder engine and steering bushings so worn that the steering had no feel and I was wandering from side to side on the highway. I crashed it 2 months later into a Ford Contour which scratched the Contour's front bumper paint and totaled my car, seriously.

I learned on a 1974 Chevrolet Impala, like this one but dark blue with a black vinyl roof.

135714.1974.Chevrolet.Impala.2-Door.Sedan.jpg

This thing had long ago seen its best days -- rusted out in the trunk, listed to one side, and a V 6-3/4 engine ;) Giant boat, but it didn't handle badly for an American 70's land barge.

I learned how to drive stick on my 944 Turbo (picture in signature)

Last edited:
Learned to drive in a Kia Optima (Magentis)

Learned to drive a manual in a Mazda RX-8

1988 Ford F-150, I-6 engine, 2wd with 180,000 miles (dad's car)
1991 Ford Explorer Sport with 142,000 miles (mom's car)

The car I bought to take my test, and be my first car: 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra

Keep in mind this was 1995