What car did you learn to drive in?

Very first car I drove ever...the car I drive today. Car I was taught everything about how to drive, a early 2000 something Mazda Protege which I must admit was really easy to drive.

The very first car I drove, and also learned in for most of the time was a '81 Volvo 244 with a 3 speed automatic and no power steering. After about a year I started driving a N15 Nissan Pulsar Q (5 speed manual) which felt absolutely amazing in comparison. My biggest issue with the Volvo wasn't the marine-spec steering but the numb throttle which felt like there was a committee of dwarfs making the decision as to what to do with the throttle cable.

A 1986 Chevrolet Chevette.

Don't laugh, it was RWD.

I learned to drive in a 1981 Honda Civic Wagovan (actual car pictured):

wagovan.jpg

Though it broke the cam before I got my license, so ended up driving my dad's 1987 Chevy Suburban and then a 1988 Dodge Ram 50 (Mitsubishi Mighty Max).

2002 Saab 9-3 AERO
037.JPG

(not the one in the picture)

Oi! Thats my bridge! *points out the window*
Nice car to learn in, not sure many would find it suitable for newbies but hey who cares what they say :D

I learned in a Volvo 740, Opel Astra, Volvo S40 and Volvo S60.

I learned to drive 5 speed in an 80's Jetta diesel when I was ummmmm... 12? I learned to legally drive in a 1987 Buick Skylark, and a Chrysler K-car.

my dad's 1988 Nissan Pulsar sedan

Actually, it wasn't a bad little car, the 1.8L, 79kW engine (a GM Family II engine) in a ~1000kg car was actually pretty sprightly with the 5speed manual. We owned it until late 2004, and it was still running fine (had about 300,000km on the clock), but it was full of rust by then.

I also drove my mum's old 1989 Ford Falcon (EA wagon) from time to time, but it was auto, so it doesn't count.

Instructors' cars? Well, first few lessons were in a Ford Festiva (ewww), but the car I got my licence in was a 1999 Daewoo Nubira (just as bad).

Learned to drive in my brother's 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix and my dad's 1994 Econoline 150 'Chariot' Conversion Van:
79grandprix.jpg

Everything was red instead and didn't have the "fabric" bit on the back roof. Fun car.

Learned to drive manual on my dad's 1987 Nissan Hardbody Pick-up.

I learned to drive in a 1992 Ford Scorpio 2,9 GLX 4x4. This is the actual car, we still have it as it's very nice in the winter... The 4wd-system is pretty much exactly the same as what Audi calls quattro with a TorSen center diff, and a 60% locking diff at the back.

DSC00544.jpg

DSC00545.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

1997 Nissan Altima
http://img261.imageshack.**/img261/1575/altimapsp8.th.jpg
Drove it for 7 years, got me through 3 major accidents, 2 speeding tickets, and about 150000 miles.

First learnt on a 2000 Yukon great SUV for towing our trailer and going skiing in the winter.
00gmcyukon2.jpg

then I learnt to drive standard on my jeep TJ.

my dad's 1981 pontiac trans-am. it was metallic flaked silver with a black and red-trimmed phoenix. it had the 305ci chevy small block and a 4-speed tranny. i loved the shaker hood when i was little, and i remember asking my dad to rev the engine all the time. the car was saddenly stolen before i turned 16, and it had just 15,000 miles on it in the mid-1990's.
7381customta-1.jpg
7381customta-2.jpg

when i was like 6, my dad used to let me sit on his lap and steer his 1971 chevelle ss396. the 1970 and 1971 "396's" were actually 402ci, but "396" just stuck with the car. it was dark green, had a 4-speed muncie "rock-crusher", and bench seats. i remember the car having some massive amount of torque (atleast for someone of my size at the time).
1971-Chevrolet-Chevelle-Red-Black-Stripes-FA-nf.jpg

Last edited:
I learned how to drive when I was nine years old in a dirty white 1991 Subaru Loyale Wagon 4WD, that I purchased for $50.00.

When it came time for me to actually drive legally with my learner's permit, I drove a number of vehicles:
My Volkswagen Vanagon - A really good vehicle to learn how to drive a manual transmission with, A touchy clutch with a two-foot-tall shifter made it so you could drive any manual afterward.
My 1970 Subaru 360 - Also a good vehicle to learn a manual with. Dog-leg shift pattern and a box-of-rocks transmssion make for some tense moments going uphill, but an extremely fun vehicle to drive that teaches you to get the most out of what you have (25 horsepower).
A massive Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van - Avoided at all costs.
A 1998 Ford Explorer (I passed my DMV test in it)
1993 Ford Taurus - Really fun to drive despite being American-built. A Ford from back when Ford made some good cars.

It all really depended on what was available when I needed to practice. I got one wrong on the written test (pointless mistake) but no faults on my driving exam. :mrgreen:

had driving lessons in Toyota Hiace's

hia_intro_01a_im_sa_hk.jpg

3.0 turbodiesel, 5spd manual, does has some speed and lots of torque
quite quiet and refined for a commercial vehicle as well

now practising in my dad's '05 saab 9-3 vector every sundays
2.0t 175bhp, fun to drive:thumbsup: