What Car Sold Today Do You Think is Underpriced?

93Flareside

Sosig
DONOR
Car(s)
See Signature
What it says on the tin.

This could mean performance, utilitarian-ness, fun to drive. Things like that.

Oh c'mon, no reason why? I could've thought of that myself.

I'll play. The Ecoboost Mustang, faster than most of it's 2010 and older siblings, cheaper than a Miata, BRZ, GT86, etc. and with a little aftermarket support faster than most any other stock Mustang ever (except perhaps a GT500 or Boss).

And because they catch fire, are sure to be rare. Am I right? :p :tease:

I think all cars are a bit overpriced, or the companies would not make money.

Corvette because it's performance is on par if not better than many of the more expensive/established brands. Mustang GT (and Camaro of similar trim for that matter) because anything else comparable on all fronts would have to be German and much more expensive.

Speaking for the mustang, it's really not that cheap. You still would need to maintain a 80-$90k salary to finance it properly and not have a loan for more than 5 years. Back when it came out it was much more attainable.

I'll play. The Ecoboost Mustang, faster than most of it's 2010 and older siblings, cheaper than a Miata, BRZ, GT86, etc.
Just for laughs I checked the prices we'd get them, all with cheapest models:
Mustang: 55 611,57 ?
MX-5: 34 846,74 ?
GT86: 46 688,19 ?
BRZ: 42 837,98 ?

BRZ: 42 837,98?
I did the same for Sweden

Mustang 373000 SEK
GT-86 323900 SEK
BRZ 309900 SEK
MX-5 224900 SEK

So cheaper than Finland. No surprise there. But still the Mustang is the most expensive.

The exchange rate now ?1 = 9.65 SEK

new or 2nd hand?

i think 2nd hand, the E46 M3 will shoot up in a few years
last of the inline sixes etc...

Speaking for the mustang, it's really not that cheap. You still would need to maintain a 80-$90k salary to finance it properly and not have a loan for more than 5 years. Back when it came out it was much more attainable.

That really depends on what the other conditions are but I am comparing to other cars that are similar. If you were to go for say a BMW it would have to have an M in there somewhere. Just as an example my office mate got an M240i for like 75ish, 0-60 is same as my Mustang (slower once you get to higher speeds). Base GT is what 32?

new or 2nd hand?

i think 2nd hand, the E46 M3 will shoot up in a few years
last of the inline sixes etc...

Already doing that since at least a year ... don't even think about buying an E36 M3

BRZ: 42 837,98?

I did the same for Sweden

Mustang 373000 SEK
GT-86 323900 SEK
BRZ 309900 SEK
MX-5 224900 SEK

So cheaper than Finland. No surprise there. But still the Mustang is the most expensive.

The exchange rate now ?1 = 9.65 SEK
It's always interesting to see the differences in local market prices. I'll have to eat my words a bit though, as it appears the Miata is the cheapest, then the BRZ. Unless you get the V6 Mustang. It breaks down like this:

MX-5 Miata $24,915
BRZ $25,495
Ecoboost Mustang $26,195
Toyota 86 $26,255

Still, I think the Mustang is the performance bargain of the bunch, but I wouldn't mind driving any of them.

Corvette, Mustang GT, and the Charger Scat Pack/Daytona 392. Best balance between performance per $$, comfort, road handling, and pure unadulterated joy of driving a pleasure symphony (aka V8). Yes, I just made that phrase up, pleasure symphony. I'll start calling V8's as such. ;)

Only thing else I could say is probably a 370Z and the V8 models for the full size F150 (XLT) or RAM 1500 (Sport). The 370Z is a really good value for the $$. Not as comfortable as the Mustang or Charger but makes up for it with almost everything else. I like how it has a very tactile sensation when driving it hard. Those trucks are pretty self explanatory.

Nothing from Europe makes this list in 2017 simply because shit's too expensive to get something decent to drive in the North American market. It's $40k just to get a 330i, and that's too much money for a 330i. And don't get me started on anything from Audi or Mercedes, just too much money for something with a decent engine and RWD.

I think American Sports cars in general.

Then you have things like the Hyundai Genesis, which is doing what Lexus did back in the 90s by offering a car as well equipped and as well built as a Mercedes/BMW for a lot less.

Corvette, Mustang GT, and the Charger Scat Pack/Daytona 392. Best balance between performance per $$, comfort, road handling, and pure unadulterated joy of driving a pleasure symphony (aka V8). Yes, I just made that phrase up, pleasure symphony. I'll start calling V8's as such. ;)

Only thing else I could say is probably a 370Z and the V8 models for the full size F150 (XLT) or RAM 1500 (Sport). The 370Z is a really good value for the $$. Not as comfortable as the Mustang or Charger but makes up for it with almost everything else. I like how it has a very tactile sensation when driving it hard. Those trucks are pretty self explanatory.

Nothing from Europe makes this list in 2017 simply because shit's too expensive to get something decent to drive in the North American market. It's $40k just to get a 330i, and that's too much money for a 330i. And don't get me started on anything from Audi or Mercedes, just too much money for something with a decent engine and RWD.

I don't agree on the Z out of that list, mainly because I feel like it's watered down compared to the 350. By that I mean that it's more GT than Go Kart, which in and off itself is not a bad thing but it means that it's trying to go up against Mustangs AND BR-Zs while not really being in either camp.

It's always interesting to see the differences in local market prices. I'll have to eat my words a bit though, as it appears the Miata is the cheapest, then the BRZ. Unless you get the V6 Mustang. It breaks down like this:

MX-5 Miata $24,915
BRZ $25,495
Ecoboost Mustang $26,195
Toyota 86 $26,255

Still, I think the Mustang is the performance bargain of the bunch, but I wouldn't mind driving any of them.

It's interesting to see that the prices are so similar between the cars in the US but not over here. Might be that the standard equipment varies, I don't think they offer many options on the Mustang over here. Most stuff is standard equipment.

The Swedish configurator for the Mustang can be found here

http://www.ford.se/Konfigurator/Mustang/EcoBoost

In Swedish of course.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see that the prices are so similar between the cars in the US but not over here. Might be that the standard equipment varies, I don't think they offer many options on the Mustang over here. Most stuff is standard equipment.

The Swedish configurator for the Mustang can be found here

http://www.ford.se/Konfigurator/Mustang/EcoBoost

In Swedish of course.

I think it has to do with how your cars are taxed. You might be taxed on displacement or power or some other idiotic crap that artificially inflates the price. US only has sales tax (varies by state and not accounted for by manufacturer site) and a gas guzzler tax that doesn't apply in this case.

IThen you have things like the Hyundai Genesis, which is doing what Lexus did back in the 90s by offering a car as well equipped and as well built as a Mercedes/BMW for a lot less.

Yes, I need to amend my list to include the Genesis. That is a great car with a good drive train for the money (non-4cyl).

I don't agree on the Z out of that list, mainly because I feel like it's watered down compared to the 350. By that I mean that it's more GT than Go Kart, which in and off itself is not a bad thing but it means that it's trying to go up against Mustangs AND BR-Zs while not really being in either camp.

So while I agree in principal, mostly because I absolutely LOVE the 350Z (more than the 370 in fact), I still think the 370Z a pretty decent deal for ~$30k. Well over 300bhp and while more focused as a GT car as you put it the car still handles well and doesn't embarrass itself. It is still a blast to drive in my opinion--yes not as much as the 350Z but not craptastic like the BR-Z/GT-86. I feel like it is the great compromise you can do being in between the Mustang and BR-Z/GT-86 markets. There is only one problem with the 370Z? You could get a Mustang GT for similar money and that's a no-brainer decision right there.

Last edited: