What car would make the best long distance cruiser?

Funny, I've been wondering this myself recently. Figured that I might try and convince some friends to drive up to Alaska over spring break, just to say we did.

For something long distance you need a car that is relatively fuel effecient and also comfortable. A somewhat less spirited suspension would be in order, too.

Most American sedans usually fit the bill alright, and I understand that what Volkswagen has to offer is usually pretty good.

Out of personal preferance, I'd probably go with a Volvo, or something from GM.

For a car to make a good long-distance cruiser, it would have to meet the following criteria:

- Comfortable
- Fuel-efficient
- Reliable

Of course, those can be easily attained, but there are other things to factor in as well, such as price. I was just trying to figure out if there was a sedan in the market that meet these criteria without taking a huge bite out of your wallet. What I was thinking was the Audi A4. It's $28,000 for the lowest trim, it's a four-door, five-seater sedan (saloon for the UK), it's comfortable, and better yet, it's an Audi.

I was just wondering if there were any more cars like that.

Sedan = Saloon right?

Present exchange rate 1.914 USD to GBP so rounding a bit say UK List of 16,000 GBP so. ....

Assuming a new motor has to be big, powerful and cheap so: Saab 9-3 Saloon 1.8i 4dr. and that you can get the discount offered.

Review of car: http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-equipment.aspx?RT=458&ED=44630

Enough said.

Used 5 series?

I was all pumped to think about what I would choose when I saw the topic. Then when I saw the difficulty <$30,000USD.... my hopes were dashed.

I'd probably pick a 5-er, or maybe a used CLK/E-class. But to be honest, back in highschool a mate of mine had somthing like a late 80s Mercury GrandMarquis, that thing had the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Handled like a wet bedsheet and went like a 16ft long piece of lead, but it was comfy.

Second-hand would be fine, but the problem is there are so many. Which one would be the best overall one?

Used Lexus ES. More luxurious than a Camry, good gas mileage, and Toyota reliability.

A 1992-1995 Audi 100, A6, S4, S6 (all the same chassis). It is a GREAT car with tons of room and provided me with some of the best road trip experiences of my life... and I have taken a TON of road trips (well over 100).

011f_cvpi_cr_vic_blk_b.jpg

Ex-undercover surplus, with the Inceptor package, lights and everything. I've been in one before and like No Boss said, it's like driving your couch. Only when you're on your couch at home nobody around you is freaking out and slamming on the brakes because they don't want you to fine their speeding ass.

I've said it before on this forum, because it's definitely my pick. Token Super Troopers reference coming right up!
supertrooperspic.jpg

There.

Kenny Brown makes a supercharger for it as well if you're bored with it.

our Volvo S60 is a works well as a long distance cruiser. The basic formula you need is something relative soft with ample torque

Second-hand would be fine, but the problem is there are so many. Which one would be the best overall one?

E39 5 series. Id pick up a 530i or 540i (depending on how much power you want)
A friend of mine has a W210 E320, which is a very comfortable long distance cruiser and he gets excellent fuel economy even when hammering along. Im personally a BMW / Audi guy, but id go for a 5 series as it is a proven reliable car.

"The awards the E39 has won over its seven-year run include four AutoWeek "America's Best" awards, seven Edmunds.com "Most Wanted" awards, six Car and Driver 10Best awards, and a total of twelve Automobile Magazine All-Star awards."

To really answer the question, you have to know who and how many people are going with you, and what kind of roads you'll be driving on. Assuming you're with three other family members on a trip that will take you mostly across straight freeways, I'd take this:

http://img516.imageshack.**/img516/5689/2007toyotaavalon2009782vc3.jpg

I know most of you guys hate the Camry/Avalon, but they have excellent ride quality, a nice, big 3.5L V6, and the Avalon has loads of passenger & trunk space. If the trip had a lot of twisties (say, old Highway 120 going into Yosemite), I'd pick something sportier, like a G35 or used 5er, but for most trips I'd pick the Avalon.

1971 Cadillac Coupe Deville
http://img379.imageshack.**/img379/7386/1971cadillaccoupedevillcs2.jpg

To really answer the question, you have to know who and how many people are going with you, and what kind of roads you'll be driving on. Assuming you're with three other family members on a trip that will take you mostly across straight freeways, I'd take this:

http://img516.imageshack.**/img516/5689/2007toyotaavalon2009782vc3.jpg

I know most of you guys hate the Camry/Avalon, but they have excellent ride quality, a nice, big 3.5L V6, and the Avalon has loads of passenger & trunk space. If the trip had a lot of twisties (say, old Highway 120 going into Yosemite), I'd pick something sportier, like a G35 or used 5er, but for most trips I'd pick the Avalon.

I actually like the Avalon. Quite hansome and not slow with the 270hp 3.5L V6.

Here is another photo:

http://img228.imageshack.**/img228/4172/toyotaavalonlimitedet3.jpg

Hmmm...OK, I'll pretend, for a moment, that I'm an old geezer who's just had some sort of rectal surgery and needs a comfy ride. I assume you mean something new?

The first thing that comes to mind is a Chrysler 300. For $30K, it won't be the 300C with the Hemi V8, but a 250HP V6 isn't too bad either; and it's big, roomy, soft, and kind of stylish. Oh, it's a lousy car, but a great boat ;)

Acura TSX? I drove a TL and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of cars they put out these days. Lexus IS250d also a possibility?

Buick Lucerne for ultimate peace and quiet, or a Chrysler 300 for a softer version of the old Benz RWD platform with better handling.

Bonus on the Lucerne: You can order it with a front bench seat so if you're travelling with a girl, you get non-stop cuddle / head-on-shoulder time.

I've been researching this as I'm slowly evolving into James May and deciding comfort trumps performance.

Camry is good too, but it'll initially set you back a bit more than these cars. If you know how to negotiate, GM and Chrysler dealers are more willing to lower price.

Of course, if we're in used territory, I'd be inclined to wonder if the Phaetons have depreciated enough yet.

Last edited:
1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala SS or 1994-1996 Caprice with the 9C1 package.
Comes with a 5.7L V8 small block pumping out 260hp.
http://img206.imageshack.**/img206/8420/chevyimpalasscn9.jpg

Crown Vic Cruiser with Super Troopers.

I'll see your Super Troopers and raise you a mission from God!

217.jpg

Okay, so that's from Blues Brothers 2000, and the original was a Dodge Monaco, but I like the older Crown Vics, they look tough.

078.jpg

Also, while we're on the subject of the Chrysler 300, while it's an Estate and not a Sedan/Saloon, the Magnum also makes it under the 30k mark. My Grandparents also have a Chevy Impala that they say is really great for the long treks they always make.