What car would make the best long distance cruiser?

I see one problem with that choice...

Depends on how you define "fuel-efficient".

@Kstairz

Good fuel economy is a plus, however comfort is a bit of a priority. Something that makes around 25 mpg highway should be okay. Most cars that make better than that are econoboxes, though the diesels that are available here make about 30+, so a Jetta might be the best value.

Really, I think it'll come down to opinion, but one that's focused more on comfort than anything else.

@Kstairz

Good fuel economy is a plus, however comfort is a bit of a priority. Something that makes around 25 mpg highway should be okay. Most cars that make better than that are econoboxes, though the diesels that are available here make about 30+, so a Jetta might be the best value.

Really, I think it'll come down to opinion, but one that's focused more on comfort than anything else.

I own a diesel Jetta (Mk5) and it is a fantastic car, but my previous Audi recommendation still stands. The Jetta CRUSHES the Audi in mileage, and it is might comfy, but I would still go with the Audi if I had a choice simply because it is a teeny bit bigger.

I own a diesel Jetta (Mk5) and it is a fantastic car...
I'll second that -- my mom's 1995 Jetta with 17" rims gives the best ride I've ever experienced in a "small car". We have a set of rough tracks in town that are a great test for a car's comfort, and the Jetta is even better than my dad's 2000 Nissan Maxima, which is a big, soft car with normal 15" wheels. I think it's the Jetta's seats that help make the ride so great: they're extremely supportive, even after 11/12 years!

Last edited:
I would say the Ford 500. It looks like the last model passat in style, but is much larger. I recently rode in one and have to say its is much better than i expected. The looks always catch flak but it is exclusive because of it. Whats more it rides like its on air and its seats are more like what you would want in a long distance cruiser. MPG is near 30 on the highway so i would say its comparable to other cars in its class.

I had a MkIII and a MkIV Jetta much to small

Last edited:
I would say the Ford 500. It looks like the last model passat in style, but is much larger. I recently rode in one and have to say its is much better than i expected. The looks always catch flak but it is exclusive because of it. Whats more it rides like its on air and its seats are more like what you would want in a long distance cruiser. MPG is near 30 on the highway so i would say its comparable to other cars in its class.

If he does decide on the 500 he should buy the newest model. For the 2008 model year the new 3.5 L V6 Duratec with be available as an option. One of the complaints in the magazines was the lack of power available from the 3.0 currently offered. It does have about the same amount of power as offered in the Mondeo ST220 though.

Too bad you don't live in aussieland, you could get a nice new v6 holden commodore or falcon or relatively new second hand v8 model. The base model has about 230BHP (my maths ain't great admitably) rear wheel drive and quite a nice interior and is a fairly large car (slightly larger than a current 5 series BMW I think)

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI 4Motion Highline

Of course i cant buy it here in Norway, cuz it cost almost $100.000, but i reckon its around the $30.000 mark in the rest of the world :p

Last edited:
Used Lexus LS from the early 90's would be pretty good.
I was think one of those or a 95-97 Jaguar XJ6. I have read that those I-6's if properly maintained are damn near bullet proof. I can't verify that personally, but everything I have read about the X300, X305, X308, is that the XJ6 is a more reliable car than the XJ8(I know that is not saying much).

If I were in the market for this type of car I would go for a 1997 XJ6 L for the added rear leg room, though I have really no need for it. But regardless XJ6s from 95-97 can be had for as little as $13,000-$10,000USD. I would take the extra chash I save on the car for a double-din stero system with Sat-Nav. For me it is a necessity since I have absolutely no sense of direction what so ever.

But I have always loved the look of the modern XJ series, X300 and up that is. The X350(2002-) head lights and rear window shape doesn't look right to me, maybe because IMHO it looks too much like a X-Type, but the all aluminum construction of the X350 does make it more attractive in a few years when they become cheaper.

Last edited:
Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI 4Motion Highline

Of course i cant buy it here in Norway, cuz it cost almost $100.000, but i reckon its around the $30.000 mark in the rest of the world :p

A used one might be under 30, but new there is very little chance of that happening!

Too bad you don't live in aussieland, you could get a nice new v6 holden commodore or falcon or relatively new second hand v8 model. The base model has about 230BHP (my maths ain't great admitably) rear wheel drive and quite a nice interior and is a fairly large car (slightly larger than a current 5 series BMW I think)

Agreed, you could get a nice BA Fairlane Ghia for that sorta money, probably an LTD. if you're after a Holden, you'd get a WK Statesman fairly easily, maybe a WL.

The LWB cars would probly be better for ride comfort, but you won't find one new for $40k AUD (equivalent of $30K USD), you'd be better off with a Futura or Berlina on that money, or even one of the Aurion models (Prodigy?)

Agreed, you could get a nice BA Fairlane Ghia for that sorta money, probably an LTD. if you're after a Holden, you'd get a WK Statesman fairly easily, maybe a WL.

The LWB cars would probly be better for ride comfort, but you won't find one new for $40k AUD (equivalent of $30K USD), you'd be better off with a Futura or Berlina on that money, or even one of the Aurion models (Prodigy?)

Personally I think holden has the best package atm (ford had it with the BA) the aurion isn't even in the same field as far as i'm concerned.

The Falcodores are good with their big lazy torquey engines but for long distances, I don't think they're as good as some of the cars posted in this thread. They lack the overall refinement I think. For example, they're noisey cars on the motorway with plenty of wind/tire/road noise.

But maybe I'm being overly critical. They still are good cruisers. I just think they lack the motorway refinement of other cars in this thread.

I can highly recommend a Saab 9-5 Aero

045109-5%5DAero%5D%5D%5B%5B%5D%5D4552.jpg

Good Fuel-economy
Quite fast
Very comfy