what car would you never drive from the 90s

I kinda like the Pontiac Sunbird:
675px-DSCN1367b.jpg

Especially the Turbo.

...but that's just me I guess :)

I had one of them - 1982?1988 Vauxhall Cavalier Mk II. It was OK in a sort of - shit the petrol pump fuel connector has come adrift whilst going up the motorway and a whole tank of petrol is sprayed all over the road - kind of way.

But apart from that, ...

85% of them.... there. I answered the question.

To pick a few...

Any minivan.

I have to ask too - what's wrong with the Toyota Paseo? It's not that bad - it's a baby Celica.

Thats what Toyota would have you think. The problem with the Paseo is that for the time it was over priced and underdone. Sure parts of the suspension and parts of the floor pan came from the celica (the rest came from the starlet), but somewhere along the line the celica part was lost. Crappy cheap looking plastics, beam axle rear end and weedy gutless engines to top it all off.

It's a Tercel coup? with a 1,5-litre engine :shrug:

I'm fine with that, as long as the price is right. As cheapo '90s coupes come, I would rather have that than a Nissan 100NX. I like the Mazda MX-3 more, though.

If the price is right, I'll drive anything :cool:.

Honda CRX. No question
Why not? A friend of mine had a late-eighties CRX in high school. He gutted it and swapped a B18 into it; that little car was a blast to drive. Even stock it was fun to throw around.

CRX is a fun car, stop being such a Honda hater Matt.

Anyway, my parents used to have a 90s cavalier station wagon, with a stick. That thing was a tank, never broke down, and could go through anything. Mud, snow so on and so forth. We actually used it to tow a few cars that got stuck snow and mud. Not saying it was a car I would own again but it did its job well and then some.

Yeah, but the Grand Am is a midsize, right? I'm talking about the compacts.

I'm pretty sure my Grand Am isn't a midsize hahaha. Here's the model mine is:

89-91_Pontiac_Grand_Am_Coupe.jpg

The body styles after this one were midsizes, even though everywhere I've looked classifies them as compacts...

Your Grand Am is a rare sight. Pretty much all of them simply disappeared.

Yeah, they all have known engine/transaxle defects, and they're not economically sensible to repair once they go.

As for what I wouldn't drive:

800px-Honda-Civic-del-Sol.jpg

Worst US market Honda, well, EVER. It was slow, it leaked when it rained, it wasn't as good a car as the CRX it replaced, it took too long to put the top back on, and the build quality was poor. Oh, and did I mention it was overpriced?

Your Grand Am is a rare sight. Pretty much all of them simply disappeared.

I've seen maybe 10 other ones of this body style other than mine over the course of owning mine. They all have significantly more rust than mine too (mine is not the one pictured obviously). It's still going strong, only 100k miles, only had 78k or so when I bought it 3 years ago. Had to replace a couple belts and hoses and the timing chain, but nothing major.

Honda CRX. No question

That fails on two counts well 1.5 counts I guess.

Number 1 the CRX is a great car. The HF models got over 50 mpg and the SI models are still Autocross contenders almost 20 years after production ended. They are also great rallycross and make perfect beater rally cars. Back in the 80s there were a couple of people ran the CRX is SCCA Pro Rally and pikes peak hill climb.

Number 1.5 the CRX is really a 1980s car as the last model year of the real CRX was 1991.

I wouldn't want to drive most 90's GM cars. My parents owned a 94 Buick Century and what a piece of crap that was, it went through fuel pumps like it was the actual fuel.

I'm pretty sure my Grand Am isn't a midsize hahaha. Here's the model mine is:

89-91_Pontiac_Grand_Am_Coupe.jpg

The body styles after this one were midsizes, even though everywhere I've looked classifies them as compacts...
Heh, I bought two of those as a package deal 4-5 years ago. One with the 180hp Quad 4 and a 5 speed, that was fun (although half the car was rust and I never knew if it would start or not). The other had the pathetic 85hp Iron Duke and an automatic ... I gave that one to my sister :lol:. The Iron Duke version proved pretty much invincible though, and got great gas mileage. They really weren't bad cars.

I wouldn't want to drive most 90's GM cars. My parents owned a 94 Buick Century and what a piece of crap that was, it went through fuel pumps like it was the actual fuel.
I need Night_Hawk to back me up on this; I think you got a lemon. I bought one of those (a burgundy on burgundy '94 :cool: ) from an estate sale and put about 50k miles on it in 6-7 months without a hiccup. It was like driving my couch. Not that I'd buy one again ...

Yeah mine is an auto Iron Duke version... I've heard the quad 4's are a bitch to work on.

I would never buy any 90s VW that was made in Mexico. lol electrical issues

Oh boy, do I ever know what you mean. :(

tigger said:
I need Night_Hawk to back me up on this; I think you got a lemon. I bought one of those (a burgundy on burgundy '94 :cool: ) from an estate sale and put about 50k miles on it in 6-7 months without a hiccup. It was like driving my couch. Not that I'd buy one again ...

It wasn't even just the fuel pump either, I swear everything in the entire fuel system broke at one time all the way up to the injectors. It also broke an alternator and finally blew the hell up when my Mom was on her way to work not long after the alternator was replaced. It must have been a lemon, we only had it a few years and it broke all the time. We had just had a Buick before that too and it broke all the time but it was an 80's car, no luck with anything GM here. That's why I hate GMs because of the bad childhood memories of being broken down, all the time. :cry:

Yeah mine is an auto Iron Duke version... I've heard the quad 4's are a bitch to work on.
I couldn't really say about the Quad 4, I never did anything other than change the oil. But with the rough shape it was in and a 16 year old boy driving it, it only lasted about a month and a half. That Duke was about as simple as a motor can get though. If it hadn't been slow I would've bought it back from my sister when she was done with it.

That's why I hate GMs because of the bad childhood memories of being broken down, all the time. :cry:
:lol: I suppose that's understandable. The one I bought had 90k miles on it, and had been impeccably maintained. IIRC the woman I sold it to had to replace a CV shaft at around 160k miles, but other than that the car was absurdly reliable.