What cars have you given up on?

Dude get out of my Brain holy shit we have about the same list. Subtract the Aurora and add a Supercharged Bonneville then subtract the 190E and add first gen Sentra SE-R. I would take add XJR to XJ6 though. I still look for those cars from time to time but I don't have auto searches set up for them anymore. I do scroll our recently appraised car lists looking for them from time to time. If a deal fell through on a car like that at the right time I might go after it myself privately.

First and Second gen DSMs still roll through occasionally in fact we have taken three in trade within the last year but one was rusted so rusted I cannot believe they were still driving it. The front strut towers were over 50% gone. Both rockers were rusted through and the rear fender wells rusted mostly through. A good sized pothole probably would have broken the car in half.

The other two had so many mods on them that they were just too scary to contemplate.

I'd almost forgotten about that generation SE-R; that and the contemporary 3rd gen Maxima were my favorite attainable Nissans of that time. I used to look for both, especially the Maxima as I had a '90 SE 5-speed as my first car, but both are just too collectible for people who know what they are and too old for everyone else. I'm about to add the '03-'04 Infiniti M45 to that list; for the prices they're going for right now I might as well pick up a contemporary XJR.

Chevrolet Corvette C5.

I'd almost forgotten about that generation SE-R; that and the contemporary 3rd gen Maxima were my favorite attainable Nissans of that time. I used to look for both, especially the Maxima as I had a '90 SE 5-speed as my first car, but both are just too collectible for people who know what they are and too old for everyone else. I'm about to add the '03-'04 Infiniti M45 to that list; for the prices they're going for right now I might as well pick up a contemporary XJR.

Freaky scary I have a half brother I have never met who would be about your age...

I'm about to add the '03-'04 Infiniti M45 to that list; for the prices they're going for right now I might as well pick up a contemporary XJR.

I'm in that boat as well.

This thread gives me an idea...

on topic: an affordable
NSX: price to value
S2000: same as above
FD RX7: price to sanity of "mod" level,
chrysubishi starquest: dsm reliability
merker xr4ti: US parts support
bmw e30: hipster inflation
datsun: living in the midwest
foxbody: why are the sn95s cheaper?!
honda crx: ...most of the reasons above

Toyota AE86 - Big money for a hopped up Corolla/Sprinter
Triumph Stag - Worth more than I'm willing to pay for a car with an engine made of explodium.
Jaguar Mk1/Mk2 - Expensive for a good one, expensive to maintain. I'd rather have an S-Type.
Porsche 911 - Early ones are serious money, I'll settle for a 912!

Last edited:
Most of the late 90s Japanese sports cars I've always wanted are either becoming too expensive or completely shagged.
Ford Cosworths and Peugeot & VW GTIs are very quickly going the same way as they head for classic status.
E30 M3. Probably not too long til they all go for crazy money.

Formula 1.

Last generation M5, a lot of money to pay for a car that I would use for commuting and use 24l/100km in the process (that gets old fast in the subaru)

Toyota AE86 - Big money for a hopped up Corolla/Sprinter

This is probably for the better. :p Imagining you in one makes my head whistle like a steam train.

Ford Bronco II (rare to find one still usable)
Ford Bronco all generations (getting pricy for a non lifted model)
Ford Explorers (before the shit crossover, they also have suspension sag)
Mitsubishi 3000GT (gasket problems)
Nissan 300ZX(too much for the condition they're in)
Lincoln LS V8 (still too new to get for decent price, and early model engine problems)
Jeep Patriot(once I started driving one regularly.)
Jeep Wrangler (too expensive)

Yup - still tons and tons and tons of them running around cheap in the South.

chrysubishi starquest: dsm reliability

You could just get the rare, but awesome Dodge Daytona R/T. It has a Lotus head so it's much more reliable...

Oh, wait.

Yup - still tons and tons and tons of them running around cheap in the South.

Oh, right. :|

So let me ask you this, would you trust any of those vehicles to be driven 1,000+ miles back home? Or should try and by Bronco's near you guys since you would know reputable shops to have them serviced fairly quickly?

Oh, right. :|

So let me ask you this, would you trust any of those vehicles to be driven 1,000+ miles back home? Or should try and by Bronco's near you guys since you would know reputable shops to have them serviced fairly quickly?

I would say select a vehicle near an FG member (or other car forum, like FTE) who can go look at it or at least arrange for it to be taken to an uninterested third party mechanic or dealer to inspect it prior to purchase. That's a better idea than just buying blindly and perhaps getting stuck thousands of miles away with a car that was not as advertised. If nothing else, the forum member might be able to provide tools and a working space if there is a problem.

Last edited:
190e cosworth... the US model is a crap compared to the US version and just not worth the money. Most are pretty raged too.
FC (turbo) and FD RX7. Cash for clunkers killed the FC. The FD found a new market with the v8 guys and prices aren't dropping like they should.
Evo or STi. I wouldn't want to touch a single one of these used. I haven't found one on this planet that wasn't driven by a flat biller doing clutch drops.

Ubernecro, I know, but my next admission demanded it:

The (classic) Saab 900.

Really annoying long-throw shifter, not that powerful even in SPG guise, and the convertible's windshield comes up so far over the driver that it doesn't feel like you're driving a convertible, a problem it shares with the Chrysler Sebring. That just leaves handling, which it has, but loads of other cars do too. The 9000 runs rings around it, and older Saabs have more character.