What cars to the big Australian celebrities own?

bangalore

There is a thread on here called "Who would you like to see crash and burn", right? Well, I was wondering if we could create a list of the Australian "stars" and the cars they own. Then we can discuss whether or not they should (at least) go on the Star In A Bog-Standard Car segment of Top Gear Australia(which I'm looking forward to see in May!!)

Here, I'll start:

Supermodel Lara Bingle has an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, which her cricketer boyfriend Michael Clarke bought her for Christmas.

And yes, I think she should...well, you know what.

Alright, bring on the stars!!!

Doesn't Sonia Kruger (from Dancing with the Stars) have a BMW 335i or 325i??? Those BMW models are very confusing, if anybody's noticed.

Here are some celebrities to help you out:

Rebecca Gibney (from Packed to the Rafters)
Natalie Bassingthwaite
Kate Ritchie
Adam Hills (from Spicks and Specks)
Jennifer Hawkins
Stephanie Rice (Swimmer)
Rove McManus
Kat Stewart, or any of the other Underbelly actors
Miranda Kerr
Kochie and Mel (from Sunrise) (this will be interesting)

Bring them on!!!

Well Ian Thorpe used to drive an Audi RS4, but I recall seeing him talking about another Audi recently (when he was fronting some environmental documentary on Foxtel) that he runs on bio-diesel (that he buys from a service station in South Sydney).

Shane Warne crashed a Mercedes E55 in Middle Park last year (the video is not available on ninemsn any more) and has owned a few exotics in his time.

Kyle Sandilands (Aus.Idol judge, radio host, BB host) has a current model Land Rover Disco at his Woolwich mansion in Sydney.

Guy Sebastian (Aus.Idol winner) has a Mazda RX-8 at his home in Palm Beach, Sydney.

Nicole Kidman has an E500 and Bentley Continental at her Eastern suburbs residence in Sydney.

Rove would probably have a Toyota due to sponsorship. He's confessed to being one of those people who doesn't care for cars. Fair enough. Not out fault he's an idiot :p

These are just some I can think of now....might post again later...

Sam Newman, who is a massive dickhead, had a Lamborghini Diablo at some point. Not sure whether he's still got it. He's really not helping to dismiss the stereotype that all supercar owners are massive dickheads.

Last edited:
Eric Bana has (had) an XB/XC GT. He's a petrol head - saw him on a car show some years ago, I'm sure he's upgraded since hitting the big time.

He's still got the XB. He made a doco about it called 'Love The Beast'. Said doco also has special appearances by Jay Leno and Jeremy Clarkson.

As for other Aussie celebs, my understanding is that a lot of them drive cars that are given to them by car companies for promotional purposes. You don't think Thorpie actually PAYS for his Audis, do you?

It's well known that Aussie cricketers tend to love their supercars. I know that in addition to his Ferraris, Warnie used to have a BMW X5 (I remember seeing a news piece with him driving off in one around the time he had one of his SMS scandals). Again, I think that may have been more a promotional arrangement than anything else.

One of the funniest bits of Aussie 'celeb' automotive trivia I've ever heard ... remember 'Bardot'? Those 5 chicks that won the first series of Popstars back in the day? Well, apparently VW gave them each a New Beetle to drive for a while for promotional purposes. The only problem was they were all manual, and only 2 of 5 members of Bardot were able to drive a manual ... :lol:

Last edited:
He's still got the XB. He made a doco about it called 'Love The Beast'. Said doco also has special appearances by Jay Leno and Jeremy Clarkson.

Ah thanks for the tip. I've seen it on torrent site but didn't know what it was. Will go get it. ;)
Edit; Oops, no I guess I remember it from seeing the thread title here. Will keep an eye out.

As for other Aussie celebs, my understanding is that a lot of them drive cars that are given to them by car companies for promotional purposes. You don't think Thorpie actually PAYS for his Audis, do you?

I know someone who was given a Ka (the old one) when it first came out to help promote it. They were a minor celeb and were always out at the hot spots (not in Oz).

Last edited:
Jack Brabham drives a Mercedes SL55 AMG, not sure on anything else but I'm guessing he owns some other cars.

Sam Newman had a Lamborghini Diablo at some point. Not sure whether he's still got it. He's really not helping to dismiss the stereotype that all supercar owners are massive dickheads.

lol ... I gave you some rep for this but correct grammar always has "Sam Newman" and "massive dickheads" in the same sentence. :mrgreen:

Kamahl drives a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II:

Kamahl-02.jpg

Kamahl-01.jpg

Got stuck behind the bandy legged crooner at a Caltex service station in Chatswood last year. Can confirm he uses 98 octane. :)

Former Australian Cricket captain, Steve Waugh, drove an Audi Q7, although this was provided free by Audi.
Bulldogs player, Willie Mason, drove a yellow Hummer H2 for a while - but again may have been a freebie.

To be totally honest, Australian celebrities are lame. Most of your run-of-the-mill actors wouldn't own anything spectacular.

Most of your run-of-the-mill actors wouldn't own anything spectacular.

Oh, I dunno. I was quite impressed with Jack Thompson's Peugeot 505, as discussed in 1x04 ...

lol ... I gave you some rep for this but correct grammar always has "Sam Newman" and "massive dickheads" in the same sentence. :mrgreen:

It's redundant to mention both since "Sam Newman" is interchangeable with "massive dickhead", saying one implies the other :p

I remember reading somewhere that Grant Hackett has a 430 scuderia.

I remember reading somewhere that Grant Hackett has a 430 scuderia.

Yeah, I read an article that said he bought one, but was only planning to keep it for a year, because he and his wife were going to start a family so he thought he'd get it all out of his system first.