What challenges/races would you like to see on future episodes?

I'd like to see another trip made to GM, this time to their corporate headquarters, in order to convince them to build this car.

I think that a list of demands should also be drawn up, including things like Honda Civic like build quality and reliability, base power output of at least 160hp and 140ft lbs of torque on 87 octane fuel, an SS version with the 2.0L turbocharged, direct-injection Ecotec making at least 280hp and, finally, a base price of $22,000 or less.

Since Subaru has the BRZ, Toyota has the GT-86/Scion FR-S, and Mazda has the Miata, these could be used as examples of small, well-balanced, well sorted-out sports cars with which GM should want to compete.

Last edited:
Historically the market for small well balanced coupes/convertables isn't very large, besides the Skystice twins were a failure I doubt GM would be willing to try again so soon.

Historically the market for small well balanced coupes/convertables isn't very large, besides the Skystice twins were a failure I doubt GM would be willing to try again so soon.

Your reasoning is flawed.

The reason GM won't build this car is because it could possibly become an alternative purchase to buyers considering the Camaro.

This is a suggestion thread for Top Gear on the History Channel and, although, I would personally like to see GM build this, my suggestion is an idea for the show.

Pontiac and Saturn are both dead entirely, GM had to pull the plug on them for reasons beyond poor sales. We'll just conveniently forget about the whole bankruptcy thing in an effort to be a dillweed.

Last edited:

IIRC, the Solstice/Sky were the only cars GM built, besides the Corvette, that they couldn't build fast enough to keep on the lot. At least in the beginning, anyway. I still see tons of them on the roads everywhere I go.

IIRC, the Solstice/Sky were the only cars GM built, besides the Corvette, that they couldn't build fast enough to keep on the lot. At least in the beginning, anyway. I still see tons of them on the roads everywhere I go.

Equinox and Terrain are capacity constrained as well. Especially 4 cylinder models.

I think we need a "Cannonball Run" episode: Start in DC, drive to LA, take any route you want. The dirty trick is that the boys do not get to pick their own vehicles. Instead, three choices of cars from the original Cannonball Run are randomly picked for them (tanner driving an old ambulance!). While speeding is not allowed (at least, no more than anyone else does) dirty tricks are. So, Adam can call the popo that someone is shipping illegal substances in an old ambulance and see what happens, or Tanner can arrange for Rut to have to make a series of appearances at various NASCAR events along the way. And they can stop and take in various automotive history sights along the way (abandoned sections of Rt 66, the original Ford factory, the first drive through restaurant, etc). Could make for a few episodes really.

That'd take up a whole season.

Route 66 or at least what remains of it with old Camaro, Mustang, Challenger :mrgreen:

An ongoing challenge would be cool, but I agree that editing will be very key. :nod:

1) A buildup of a 1999-2004 Mustang GT, to show why Americans spend so much time and money on making their cars (a very large number of them being the Mustang) faster. If this could involve something with a racing venue, that could make it more interesting.

Last edited:
Crossing the Dari?n Gap!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darién_Gap

Essentially you can drive from Alaska to Ushuaia at the very tip of South America with one exception about 150km of Panama / Columbia. Crossing generally take weeks I think the boys can do it in a few days or at least entertain the crap out of us trying to and realizing how difficult it would be.

I'd like to see Rutledge do something involving driving a car down a flight of stairs. He would first have to imbibe of the appropriate liquor, so that he could be ready for the challenge he is to face.

292430_3566910694040_700321252_n.jpg

Crossing the Dari?n Gap!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darién_Gap

Essentially you can drive from Alaska to Ushuaia at the very tip of South America with one exception about 150km of Panama / Columbia. Crossing generally take weeks I think the boys can do it in a few days or at least entertain the crap out of us trying to and realizing how difficult it would be.

I've never heard of that but it actually sounds like a pretty awesome challenge.

I would like to see an episode where it's Rut's Head vs Tanners head vs Adam's head. First, a battle in a real stock car in Atlanta Speedway, given Tanner and Adam more practice than Rut. Then have a drifting showdown at a motorsports park in California, giving Tanner the ____mobile of Rut and Adam's choice, then a parallel parking race in NYC, giving Adam a Ford Taurus (The most seen car in New York City), but Rut and Tanner the cars of their choice.

Rear wheel sport car challenges, the first, would be like the UK version giving all three host 3 to 5 grand to buy an affordable sports car to compete against their newer front drive rivals

The next would be new and affordable sports cars like the Miata, FR-S, Genesis 2.0T, and Mustang V6 to see which is the best bang for your buck.

America's Best Compact Truck

with the Big 3 concentrating more on their full-size models, the guys take a Ranger, Dakota, Chevy S10/Colorado to see if they can be better than the import alternative.

or...

America's Best Japanese Compact (Mid-sized) Truck

the guys take brand new compact import trucks and puts them through full-sized challenges. Adam and Tanner choose either a Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma and Rut ends up with the Honda Ridgeline, because, well, why not?

I would like to see the guys test out the Chevy Trailblazer SS vs Jeep SRT8 vs ford lightning. Rut gets the pick up

A reboot of the Colditz Castle episode done in the UK version of the show. A suitable North American venue would have to be found. The cars used could be a 1992-95 Ford Taurus SHO, a 1997 Buick Regal GS, and a 1995 BMW M5

Last edited: