• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

What codecs do you use to watch TG/FG?

zyran

A long time ago some user recommended I use a codec called ffdshow for my videos but I realise it limits me from using other video-related utilities. I'd like to know which codecs you use. I remember using DivX for TG videos before and the videos would hang 2 seconds in, subsequently resulting in me using ffdshow. I'd like to know if newer versions of DivX/Other work. Thanks.

I use ffdshow as well, because of the amount of stuff it can do to the video. I still have the newer DivX and XVIDs installed mainly for the encoders... but ffdshow seems good enough to me. If I ever need to use a clip in a video editing program, I just virtualdub out the portion I need into a different codec that my video editing supports.

Re: What codecs do you use to watch TG/FG?

zyran said:
...but I realise it limits me from using other video-related utilities

:shock:
what are you talking about ?
fddshow doesn't limit you in any way from using other codecs/filters or anything else ;)

Well for example virtual dub, I can't use the ffdshow codec to open up TG files. And in PS Imageready i think it prevents me from using some avi files.

that's because ffdshow are ONLY filters for playing videos and not for encoding iirc

I use one codec pack (K-Lite Mega), yes everyone says packs are bad, but I've never had a problem, and I do lots of encodes. Klite plays everything I can think of and more.

VLC isnt bad either, very good player (codecs built in)

Link: http://mirror.edskes.com/

^I use that one too, haven't had any problems.

DivX does everything I need. After my reformat, I just installed DivX and I have been able to play all the videos I can find.

i start with no codec and a little proggie which tells you which codec a certain vid is. and if i cant play a vid i just download the appropriate codec. haven't had good experiences with codec packages. none contains all (and there are new ones every day) and if you install several packages, they conflict most of the time

you don't need codecs at all (encoderdecoder)
all you need is the decoding part and that's exactly what ffdshow does :)

bone said:
and a little proggie which tells you which codec a certain vid is

You're talking about AVIcodec yes? It works but doesnt seem to help me.

All you will ever need for that is gspot.

Google for it, its the first one.

Buba

fluke667 said:
you don't need codecs at all (encoderdecoder)
all you need is the decoding part and that's exactly what ffdshow does :)

I thought it meant compressor/decompressor.

i use the k-lite mega codec pack...
never had an issue with anything...

VLC, nice & easy to use