What Console(s) Should I Get?

What Console(s) Should I Get?

• Total voters
well, my cousin has a slim one, while my mate's dad got the original fat one, both were tortured pretty badly by either us, like endless gaming etc.. and they both seemed to last pretty well. The fat one goes on for about 20 hours max. But the slim PS2 used for run for days without stop, cos we had to do all those endurance races in b spec mode, the record is close to 3 days without switching off.

I rekon the slim model is the better one, thats just my opinion though, you should ask the guys at the ps2 forums.

I have a V5 PS2 (basically an old fat version, the slim is version 11 or newer I think), my laser is kinda dying, some games takes a long time to load. So I would say go for the slim, just because the slim PS2 is newer.

The fat PS2 can be modded and have a HDD installed to copy games to while the slim one can't. At least thats the way it was when I checked decades ago!

Not sure about the ease of playing pirate games on a modded fatty, but the slim one looked like a pain in the arse.

The slim has worked perfectly for me, no overheating even when left on overnight and/or all day (touch wood).

If you're going to use it as a DVD player, you might want to get a remote cos the controller sux as a remote.

I have a launch fat PS2 (still going strong) and HDD Loader installed. Not only can you play downloaded games (.iso), but there's almost no load time when running GT4 off HDD instead of reading off the disc.

Last edited:
Now the guy with the slim silver PS2 wants $110 for PS2 + 2 Controllers + 2 memory cards + Pro Evolution Soccer 08 (it's brand new and worth $30 in stores).

The guy with the fat black PS2 finally replied and here's his deal again : PS2 + 2 dual shock controllers + 1 memory card + Tekken 4 for $80.

I'm really down to these two deals and it's kinda hard to choose which one.

Which would you choose?

Fat ftw!

in answer to your question : you should get the fat PS2 for 80$

Personally. Ive got An X360, Wii, PS3, Xbox, PS2, PSP, DS etc.

And in my opinion the X360 is more fun. You get new games that wont be released on ps2, next gen graphics, fantastic online and its just far superior to anything else.

Yesterday I had to take quite a journey to do my collections. First I met a guy that was selling his Gran Turismo 4 (Greatest Hits edition) for $5.

Next I met the guy selling the PS2 (fat) with Tekken 4, 2 controllers, and 1 memory card for $80.

Then I had to drive 25 minutes to meet the third and final guy who was selling Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution for $5 each. The fucking guy didn't show up and wasn't answering my calls. I had to wait half an hour there, for nothing! :mad:

Oh, well. I started playing GT4 a bit and it's quite boring to begin with. Maybe it gets better as I progress. And I am only playing with the controller, so far. I'm gonna hook up my DFP and see what's what. :D

Can anyone suggest some good games that have a nice storyline and good gameplay?

I know about God of War and MGS, but are there any other great games for the PS2?

Thanks.

About GT4: When you do a single-player race, can you choose what cars are in the race? Or are they just selected as competitors based upon my car selection?

In arcade mode, is there a way to choose your opponents' cars? I don't know if you can do that in GT mode. Can you?

I just like to race my choice of comparable cars.

Also, is there a way to turn the driving aids off during the license tests? The traction control is slowing me down. And is it believable that in the first B-License test, where you do the acceleration and braking, that that little Mazda Demio (or whatever it's called) even has traction control?

Last edited:
Sorry, like I said I don't play arcade mode. And mines in Japanese so I don't understand most of it. In GT mode you can choose the level of competition by using a slider when doing a "family race" and that changes the cars, but you can't pick the actual cars themselves.

I just ran through the licence tests as fast as I could (most bronze!) but I would assume they start off with driver aids because you're a beginner. Are you sure the Demio just can't spin the wheels due to lack of power?!

I still haven't got my last stage special licence. Can't get that bloody last lap round the ring. I don't have the patience.

You can only choose the competitiveness of AI, not the cars.

As far as I remembered (keep it mind I got my GT4 on release date and it's been a few years since I did license test), you can't change settings in license test, they are designed to allow you to learn the driving dynamics step-by-step. The target times for each tests are pretty reasonable, so if you follow what you are suppose to do, you should be able to pass them after a few trys.

It's not that I'm having trouble with the tests, I'm aiming for silver on each one, it's just that the traction control is preventing me from getting gold (does it even matter what trophy you get?).

On another subject, some guy wants to sell me God Of War, God Of War 2, Bully, Tekken 5, and Splinter Cell: Double Agent for $40.

Should I take it? Is it a good deal?

Edit: In GT4, when I am doing a single race, what difficulty should I set the AI cars to? I tried to put it to the full 10, but that just gabe the AI cars Zondas and SLR Mclarens. I want to know which difficulty setting will give the AI the most comparable cars to the car I selected. If I leave it at 0, it's just too easy. Also, can you choose how many cars are on the track? Let's say I want to race 3 cars instead of 6, can I do that?

Damn! Why couldn't they have just let me choose what cars the AI drivers drive!? :mad:

Last edited: