What Console(s) Should I Get?

What Console(s) Should I Get?

• Total voters

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
Ok, I am currently in needing of assistance. I want to buy a PS2 to play Gran Turismo 4. I also want to get a Xbox 360 to play Forza 2 (mostly). Also, because apparently my MOMO Racing Wheel (PC) doesn't work on any consoles, I might have to buy the Logitech DFP (PS2) and a wheel for the 360.

There are two wheels worth talking about for the 360:

The Madcatz MC2
1141063941.jpg

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wheel
Monaco_establishing_sm.jpg

Which one's better?

About the PS2: Should I get the original fat one, or the newer slim one? I heard of overheating issues for the Slim. Are there any performance differences between the two?

I'm kinda in a dilemma because both Forza 2 and GT4 have their advantages and disadvantages over eachother.

I like to do comparison tests and the oval track in GT4 (10 km, I believe) would be perfect. Forza 2 doesn't have that huge oval track does it?

I will most probably be buying these used off of craigslist or something.

On average I found that a Xbox 360 with 2 controllers, racing wheel, and 5 games is around $350. The same bundle for the PS2 (with more games) would cost around $150.

Is the Xbox 360 and Forza 2 really worth $200 more than the PS2 and GT4? I know that Forza 2 has better graphics, but GT4 has that HUGE selection.

Any feedback will be great.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd go GT4. We literally played GT4 til it broke.

Forza is great, don't get me wrong, but GT4 "feels" more real. (It's not real, sadly).

Go Forza only if you want more supercars and to have car damage. Otherwise, GT4 can entertain indefinitely. Plus it uses the PS2 about as well as possible and will put out a better picture than just about any other PS2 game.

If you do get the 360 don't get the Madcatz wheel, my Dad got the Xbox version of that and it sucks. The Xbox version is exactly the same except for the colors and the Xbox button on the wheel.

I like Forza 2, but I don't know if it's worth buying a 360 and wheel just for that one game. If there are other 360 games you are interested in, then I would certainly say get the 360. And yes, Forza 2 has atleast one oval track (maybe more, but I can't recall off the top of my head).

First off, don't believe the graph. Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers.

What you want it a PS 2 with GT4. It's super duper awesome.

Xbox 360 means you're buying something Microsoft, and that alone is reason to leave it in stores. Also, it'll kill itself with a RRoD in a while, and while you're waiting for your 3rd Xbox to come back from the store, i'll be pwning your asses in GT4.

Dunno about "slim" or "fat" versions though.

PS2 + GT4

My mate and I used to smoke weed till like 2 in the morning and just play GT4 the whole night. And we always leave the race in B spec mode when racing those evil endurance races, so no overheating issue with the slim model, at least for me.

GT4 is the shit! Super addictive.

Get the PS2/GT4, save money and move to PS3/GT5 when it's out.

Actually thats fantastic advice! A PS3 should drop in price, and it gives you a year or so to drive the crap out of GT4 and wear out the buttons on the controllers.

*checks prices for PS2*

Bah! I don't get all this new-fangled technology. When I were a lad, and we had to get up before we'd gone to bed, and pay t'mill owner to work there, and it was uphill on the way there, and uphill on the way back...

...Mastertronic's Formula 1 Simulator for the ZX Spectrum had a "steering wheel" option - which involved rolling the lid from a tin of Quality Street along the number keys to turn left and right. And it had some proper tracks on it as well. Paul Ricard. The old Silverstone. ?sterreichring.

*waves walking stick menacingly at those pesky kids*

PS2 slim + GT4 now and 360 + Forza 2 later

If you factor in price drops, the above costs about the same as option #1, but you get both consoles. ;)

xbox 360, you can race online.

PS2. GT4 is a lot of fun, just make sure you turn the ASM so it will allow oversteer :)

I found two different kinds of Logitech DFP wheels. One has the Logitech logo on it and the other has the Gran Turismo logo on it. Are there any differences? Would any of them work on the PC (USB)? If they do, I'll try to trade my MOMO Racing wheel for it.

73c5cced5fc8d26cc420df4d0cedacfd.jpg

%5CLOGITECH_DRIVING_FORCE_PRO.JPG

^I have the one with the GT logo, and it works fine on the PC (I just had to download the drivers first). It even let you adjust how much of the 900? of rotation you wanted, which is perfect for making the wheel's movement match that of the on-screen steering wheel in LFS. :)

I found two different kinds of Logitech DFP wheels. One has the Logitech logo on it and the other has the Gran Turismo logo on it. Are there any differences? Would any of them work on the PC (USB)? If they do, I'll try to trade my MOMO Racing wheel for it.

73c5cced5fc8d26cc420df4d0cedacfd.jpg

%5CLOGITECH_DRIVING_FORCE_PRO.JPG

G25.

Trust me, you won't regret it.

Xbox and forza 2, dont underestimate the cool factor of swapping the engine and 4wd system into a skyline into a 60's Datsun 240, painting it up in full endurance racing garb, and vanquishing your foes online. Oh yea, and crashing into a wall damages your car realistically, GT4 doesnt have that!

There are plenty of great games for xbox, and the xbox live service is the best thing around (and only 50 bucks a YEAR! 5 dollars a month for a great online service with news, videos, free demos, expansion packs, audio and video chat, you get the point)

Plus there are many great games coming for it, including grand theft auto 4 :D

I have the xbox, forza 2 and the microsoft wheel, i love it.

Last edited: