Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Phila

Car(s)
1995 Subaru Legacy, 2008 Subaru Legacy
If you watched the entire 17th series (all 10 episodes) of Fifth gear, what did you think of the direction they have gone in?

These seem to be the most common comments throughout the series:
  • 30 minutes is not long enough
  • They need to get rid of/not mention at all the competition prize
  • They need to stop plugging their website
  • Each segment needs to be longer, they all seem end too quickly or get cut off abruptly

All of those suggestions go back to needing more time. Which begs the question, if we are all asking for more time for whats being given to us, then doesn't that mean we must like it if we want more? Leave your comments, and lets keep it civil.

The show could very well use 10 additional minutes :)

Oh and Tom needs to come back, while I do like the other presenters, I was definitely looking forward to his segments.

Trouble is, Five are unlikely to make it 10 or 15 minutes longer because it would leave them with an odd sized gap in the schedule. This means that if they were to extend the show it would have to go back to being an hour, and that's just not going to happen. The best thing to do then is have fewer features in each show, therefore giving more time for each one.

I agree with getting rid of the website promotion (putting the address on the screen during the credits would be better) but I'm not so sure about the competition. It clearly brings in a fair bit of money (more than enough to cover the price of the prize itself) and I fear that getting rid of it might make Five wonder why they are still commissioning a show that doesn't bring in any money and doesn't pull in especially big viewing figures. As for the length of the coverage given to the competition, the current paranoia surrounding rigged and dodgy TV competitions means that any competition has to be accompanied by a ridiculously lengthy set of terms and conditions. It simply cannot be avoided and if having to sit through 2 minutes of T's and C's means that we get to keep fifth gear then I reckon it's a price worth paying.

Oh yeah, and I quite enjoyed the series.

I enjoyed it slightly less than the previous couple of serieses that I watched completely, a lot is due to the new rushedness and the keeping of the long plugs for competition/website... I guess I'm repeating myself and everyone else here ;)

It was better than having no Fifth Gear.
Miss Tom .. he was also my favourite presenter.

They need to get rid of/not mention at all the competition prize

FYI they make money off this and it's one of the reasons that the show is still on the air probably. Consider it a necessary evil.

EDIT: Which is what Gingertom said, whoops.

Anyway, the length isn't changing probably and the competition isn't going anywhere. So how about we focus on the actual content? ;)

Last edited:
Just for the record, when I said:

These seem to be the most common comments throughout the series:
  • 30 minutes is not long enough
  • They need to get rid of/not mention at all the competition prize
  • They need to stop plugging their website
  • Each segment needs to be longer, they all seem end too quickly or get cut off abruptly

I meant those were the most common comments to come up in each Specific Episode thread, not my own suggestions. I included those in the first post so that we could focus on the content of the series and not the time constraint issue.

I've enjoyed the series, would like less competiton plugs and make the show just a little longer - neither of which will happen. To improve the show the producers need to have one long segment per episode of Jason vs Tiff (not leaving the best bits on the cutting room floor as they did when Tiff scared Jason for 5 minutes in the 911 Turbo Cabrio), adding Vicki into the mix on occasion & leaving Jonny to review a car each week.

Cheers.

I thought it was great. Much better than the previous seasons and more direct. 30 minutes is perfect.

Great Series. Have not seen the last Episode yet (Watching it tonight).

Although, I would like Channel 5 to move it from a Thursday, That Eastender's clash is not going to do the shows ratings any good at all.

I liked it! I think I would like to have Tom Ford instead of Jason Plato and have Tiff and VBH do the shoot outs. That's probably a not too popular oppinion, but I liked the Tiff/Vicky races better. But really I liked what they did this series.

Its a shame they dropped it to 30-minutes just AFTER they were finally getting to grips with the 1hr time slot.

But overall very quality programming but its just missing something that I can't put my finger on...

well done on getting rid of tim. bad job on getting rid of tom.

show is too short, especially when you consider the damn competition bit.

I enjoyed the show but as has been said, the segments are just a teensy bit too short.

Hmm.. so in short, its good but needs to be longer. Sounds about right.

I liked this series a lot, it was down to earth, no TG-style gimmicks. The 30 min timeslot fits them well, IMO, because they just don't seem to have to budget to fill an hour long show with quality segments.

And yes, if they could ditch the competition and website plugs, I would happily give the series a 9 or a 10, as it stands now a solid 8/10, definitely an improvement over the previous series.

I think 30 minutes helped tighten the show's focus. Since they have to keep the website and prize plugs, I would recommend they eliminate the "cocking about" segment and use those 3-5 minutes to expand the car reviews so they don't feel as rushed.