What do the British think of Infiniti?

The 335 is way more expensive, so I really don't consider it a fair comparison. I don't like the coupe either, but I do like the 4 door.

07_sedan_09.jpg

This is the car I got, in black. IMO it's a decent looking car.

Here's an article that Car & Driver did comparing the Infiti to a similarly priced 328i. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12514/2007-infiniti-g35-sport-vs-2007-bmw-328i.html The BMW still was better in their opinion, but I think if some of you *cough* more cultured "Youropins" actually drove the car, if you had the chance, would like it.

Yes it is a Nissan based on a 350z chassis, oh no! It's not like they took a sawzall to it and slapped in some more subframing. They have lots of smart Japanese engineers with small hands that fixed everything. Brand snobs.

well, its your car. at the end of the day, if you are truly happy with your choice, then well done, you got yourself a nice car.

btw, im dying to find out, how much did you pay for the car? base spec and extras?

: )

god any articles to back it up?

my dad's clearly rushed to market job appears to be running just fine

The aforementioned Car And Driver article, plus it's all over the web.

BMW *is* starting to fix some of the problems, but the early cars are going to need a lot of fixes and updates. And, of course, BMW isn't telling everyone about it... Google for 335i cooling issues. You should find no shortage of info. This is worse than when the M3 engines were grenading....

Problems with the 335i include:
Overheating turbos
Fuel pump failures
Transmission issues
Gasket leaks
Seatbelt problems
Run flat tires with <10,000 mile lifespan and high replacement costs

While BMW has changed suppliers on the fuel pumps, several people have reported that the new fuel pump is failing too.

I remember reading somewhere that the last gen 3-series had a bunch of reliability problems too. I can't help but think that maintance and repairs on a Nissan with a ubiquitous engine has got to be cheaper all those 3 series problems aside. Whether the 3 Series edges it out as a drivers car or not - the G35 is definitely in the game. Its a great choice. I very nearly bought a last gen (I got the Subaru instead to save a few more bucks) I also adore the M45.

2007_auto_show_038.jpg

The whole "no Infinit's in UK" thing came up once before and I was amazed how dismal the UK Nissan range was compared to the US Nissan / Infiniti range. They pretty much need the new branding to aviod the cheap car stigma over there (I base this on JC/Hammond's statements about the 350Z and the Micra)

The aforementioned Car And Driver article, plus it's all over the web.

BMW *is* starting to fix some of the problems, but the early cars are going to need a lot of fixes and updates. And, of course, BMW isn't telling everyone about it... Google for 335i cooling issues. You should find no shortage of info. This is worse than when the M3 engines were grenading....

Problems with the 335i include:
Overheating turbos
Fuel pump failures
Transmission issues
Gasket leaks
Seatbelt problems
Run flat tires with <10,000 mile lifespan and high replacement costs

While BMW has changed suppliers on the fuel pumps, several people have reported that the new fuel pump is failing too.

A lot of cars do have problems during their first year, so I suggest you wait another couple of months for them to be ironed out before you finally judge.

A lot of cars do have problems during their first year, so I suggest you wait another couple of months for them to be ironed out before you finally judge.

lol, it's not like this is BMW's first time making cars.

^ No, but this is the first turbo car they've made in more than 20 years, still with them being such a large company and all, it should have never been a problem.

^ No, but this is the first turbo car they've made in more than 20 years, still with them being such a large company and all, it should have never been a problem.

Yeah - the oil overheating issue should have been detected in early hot weather testing.

"Congratulations - you just paid almost $50K to be a beta tester for BMW!"

Not quite. Nissans were initially sold as Datsuns in the US because they'd built the iconic Japanese army trucks which so many American WWII vets associated with Japanese atrocities in the Pacific Theatre. They also built a LOT of airplanes and engines - which, again, US veterans had cause to remember and dislike. If they'd used their own name to brand their cars here, they would have sold no cars whatsoever.

Datsunhistory.com says the Datsun name originated in 1931 (DAT being an acronym of the three founders' names and SON indicating "son of"). It also says Datsun pickups were used in Korea (1951) by US/UN troops.

datsunhistory.com said:
In the early 80's, Datsuns had started being sold with "Datsun by Nissan" nameplates, along with new names like Sentra, Maxima, and Pulsar. Nissan didn't want to market 2 brand names anymore. The Datsun name finally disappeared in 1983 after what one trade magazine described as "one of the worst re-imaging campaigns in history". US trade restrictions in the protectionist 80's are often cited as the reason for the name change, but it was really a corporate image decision back in Japan. There is a theory that Nissan initially sold cars in the US under the Datsun brand as a way of avoiding tarnishing the Nissan name if their venture in the States failed. The campaign to change the name continued for several more years, though most of the people it was aimed at didn't understand what it was about.

^ I think that's what I'm referring to, I've heard this "theory" many times, I think the first time I read it was in one of Lee Iacocca's books perhaps? But I admit I don't have a quote from a Nissan executive.