What do we enjoy about speed?

donthomaso said:
i do like speed to.. but not realy the topspeed. i mean driving on the german motorway all out is nice, but i enjoy driving windy roads quite fast much more :)
it gives you this feel of beeing free.. i cant explain it..

Yes! Exactly. I've had more fun doing 60mph on winding British A-roads in a Vauxhall Corsa, then I've ever had going double that speed (or more) on flat, straight Canadian highways.

If the fun was totally about acceleration and top speed, rich guys would all buy AMG Mercs, not Porsches and //M3's. There's nothing like getting on the brakes, losing just enough speed, downshifting, going through a turn as fast as you reasonably can balancing the rear-end on throttle, then running up through the gears again on the other side.

I haven't driven my car in months, can you tell? :(

Mischief007 said:
I think it's the adrenaline. I know what you mean though...love speed.

Yeah, I think adrenalin. It's not really a sense of damger, unless you are in a country where that speed is illegal.

Mischief007 said:
I think it's the adrenaline. I know what you mean though...love speed.

Yeah, I think adrenalin. It's not really a sense of damger, unless you are in a country where that speed is illegal.

well 180Km/hr is illegal in most places :)
But, I was talking danger to your life, not to your license 8)

There's that feeling when you're going fast around the corner knowing a little faster and you'll hit the rock in front of you. Having all your concentration on one thing and balancing out the squealing of the tires with the gas pedal is an amazing thing.

I like top speed runs on the highway because of the adrenaline, just knowing I could get caught and seeing the speedometer get pegged out

0502250001.jpg

That's in a minivan, btw.

nosispower said:
There's that feeling when you're going fast around the corner knowing a little faster and you'll hit the rock in front of you. Having all your concentration on one thing and balancing out the squealing of the tires with the gas pedal is an amazing thing.

It's really tip-toeing in the edge of destruction.

I used to max the cars I drove a few years back, but with the crappy cars I drove(maxed at 160-190 kph) I didn't really get a kick out of driving them on highways. For me it was loads more fun to take my 1.3l heap of junk(an old corolla) onto gravel roads which were covered on lose gravel. It was basicly just like driving on ice. It was even more fun last winter when we fitted 10mm spikes in front wheels(the car is front wheel drive) and slicks in the back, and took it ice racing.

Like most have mentioned, the kick(for me) is the total concentration on what you do, the sense of speed you get from the G-forces and also awareness of the dangers involved.

the adrenaline kicks ass when you're driving fast... plus I usually feel dizzy when someone drives slow, I need something to keep me concentrated... such as driving fast. Recently my cousin and I drove down to Singapore (abt 330km away) and we did it in about 2hrs in a 1.6l Civic :D

hmmm ever been in a 4x4(isuzu trooper) doin 180+.....man it was crazy...it bounces all the way...and also we were racing a mitsubishi challenger... police caught us doin 177km/h...we got max fine...tat was sumtin ill never furget

can those things do 177Kmh?
Now who here was surprised that my corsa could do 190~200Kmh? :p

A trooper? :?

he was meanin my trooper could do 180-190km/h...now if i fitted the turbo..i wonder how fast it could go.....]

i wouldnt mind trying to max my vectra.

but if i try such a thing ill get snapped by 54324324324324324432 speed cameras :p:p

i had a photo of another guy's vectra doing 195kph with plenty of rpm to go

yea aussie land..where everyone lives in fear of speed cameras :lol: :lol:

you don't wna go any faster than 180 in a trooper... not with that thing with leaf(sp?)-springs and all... it'll prob. bounce too much you loose control of your car

jasonchiu said:
ithought u had a corsa
Oh you were talking about mine?
hehe No it can't do 240, it's not limited actually (I think). Factory spec says 180Kmh top. I got 180 alright, at 5200 rpm or so... there is still around 1000rpm to go so I guess it'll max out at 200 or so... Never found somewhere long enough to get it though.

v0od0o said:
can those things do 177Kmh?
Now who here was surprised that my corsa could do 190~200Kmh? :p

We did 240 km/h (downhill) in a Ford Galaxy V6... ;)

cya
Oliver

Voodoo, have you actually driven 200km/h? I wonder if a 1.6 can, air-resistance plays a big role in top speed and usually a 1.6 doesn't do 200.

Maybe driving off a Pyramid with good winds 8) :mrgreen:

j/k