What do you do? School (what kind of) / Work (Where)

Got anything for a 2000 Nissan Altima? 8)

pdanev said:
Skoshi 400euro is not much??? :eek:

That's almost as much as I spend in a month, and I pay 260euro for rent, ~17-18m2 room.

Oh, and I don't get anything from neither my government, nor the dutch government (which is sort of obvious and logical, since I'm a foreigner.)

But even dutch and german student don't get as much per month, dutch students get around 200euros monthly from the government.

I dont think you live in the same country as I do. I get ?700 and something every month from the government, although I think 40-70% of that is a loan depending on the income of the parents. And next to rent there also is Health insurance which is around ?90 a month.
Not to forget as foreigner you should get atleast the standard amount without the loan, as long as you work for 8h time every week within a long term contract.

hajj said:
pdanev said:

That's almost as much as I spend in a month, and I pay 260euro for rent, ~17-18m2 room.

Oh, and I don't get anything from neither my government, nor the dutch government (which is sort of obvious and logical, since I'm a foreigner.)

But even dutch and german student don't get as much per month, dutch students get around 200euros monthly from the government.

I dont think you live in the same country as I do. I get ?700 and something every month from the government, although I think 40-70% of that is a loan depending on the income of the parents. And next to rent there also is Health insurance which is around ?90 a month.
Not to forget as foreigner you should get atleast the standard amount without the loan, as long as you work for 8h time every week within a long term contract.

All the guys here in Maastricht tell me they get around 200euros or so + they get back the 80-90% of the tuition fee, which is about 1500euros/year. So even if you take that into account, it won't exceed 300euros a month or so.

Now the part in bold is the tricky bit. See, for me as a foreigner, especially being non-eu citizen, there is a thing called working permit. The employer applies for it, when he decides to hire you for a job. Now, in order for a working permit to be granted, the employer has to prove that he can not find a dutch person willing to do the job, furthermore, if no dutch is willing to do the job, he has to prove that he can't find an EU person to do it.

Couple of problems with the system. One, it takes about 4-5weeks for a decision regarding a working permit, meaning employer has to keep position unoccupied for that time. Two, its a lot of paper work. Three, what can I do with my student knowledge, that a fully grown dutch citizen can't? And by proving above I mean hardcore proving, evidence that employer has advertised the job, that he hold interviews etc.

Practical implication: If I wanna clean the toilets at a fastfood restaurant, I can't, because there are x hundred dutch and eu people willing to do that job. So usually what happens is, they will look at my name, below it citizenship.. "Bulgaria, non-eu, ohh, nope, sorry mate, no chance". This being Maastricht, a rather small city, working as a foreginer, legally, is practically impossible.

Oh, on top of all, I am allowed to work only 10hours a week. So if you tell me who's gonna hire a non-eu citizen in Maastricht, apply for a working permit, keep position unfilled for x weeks, and go through all this trouble so he can have my precious presence for a weekly maximum of 10hours, for any kind of job, I'd be grateful for the advice. :)

But well, I'm not complaining. These are the rules of the game, protect domestic labour market, what can I do. "If you don't like it, go somewhere else". :)

I do find the rules quite strict though, in particular for students. It's not like there's a massive wave of non-eu students storming the Netherlands and "stealing" jobs aways from locals. But as I said, I'm not complaining, I was aware of this before I came here. :)

Btw, seems to be some sort of general tendency. I'm going to Singapore for 1/2 a year from august, and there I'm not even allowed to do an internship, be it paid or unpaid. :)

over here when I came as an international student is pretty much the same, well not the can't find a local student to do the job or anything but we have to apply for the work permit ourselves even before we find a job and can work no more than 10hours a week. But its easy for me if I want to find work, there are so many shops/restaurants at Chinatown looking for students to work (They need people who can speak chinese, hence no local australians want to work there). Pete.. if you really want to work, try finding a Bulgarian area and look for work there, maybe it might be easier

i work as a technicial "fixing" phones at a verizon cell phone store... the technicla portion of my job is so easy a half retarded druken poorly trained monkey could do it... the customer interation part where i get to tell someone that even though they bought their brand new razr 3 weeks ago the manufacturer does not cover liquid damage and they are boned sucks... 2 weeks ago i got hit in the chest by a cell phone charger thrown by an irate customer it was great

tf

1st Year mechanical engineering at Ryerson University in Toronto. Hard, but fun!

Might as well tell you why I'm so stressed out all the time.

I work for RIM and am doing Technical Support for the past 11.5 months now. I'm at the edge of loosing it. I deal with the most high strung people that think these things are a part of their body and has to run 24/7/365.

If you haven't figured it out yet, here's a clue:
4332.jpg

Mischief007 said:
Might as well tell you why I'm so stressed out all the time.

I work for RIM and am doing Technical Support for the past 11.5 months now. I'm at the edge of loosing it. I deal with the most high strung people that think these things are a part of their body and has to run 24/7/365.

If you haven't figured it out yet, here's a clue:
4332.jpg

ooo you must be dealing with ton's of crap about the email issue and the patent stuff... i feel for you man i feel for you.. i only get a bit of that from RIM users the come into my store

TF

pdanev said:
hajj said:
pdanev said:

All the guys here in Maastricht tell me they get around 200euros or so + they get back the 80-90% of the tuition fee, which is about 1500euros/year. So even if you take that into account, it won't exceed 300euros a month or so.

Now the part in bold is the tricky bit. See, for me as a foreigner, especially being non-eu citizen, there is a thing called working permit. The employer applies for it, when he decides to hire you for a job. Now, in order for a working permit to be granted, the employer has to prove that he can not find a dutch person willing to do the job, furthermore, if no dutch is willing to do the job, he has to prove that he can't find an EU person to do it.

Couple of problems with the system. One, it takes about 4-5weeks for a decision regarding a working permit, meaning employer has to keep position unoccupied for that time. Two, its a lot of paper work. Three, what can I do with my student knowledge, that a fully grown dutch citizen can't? And by proving above I mean hardcore proving, evidence that employer has advertised the job, that he hold interviews etc.

Practical implication: If I wanna clean the toilets at a fastfood restaurant, I can't, because there are x hundred dutch and eu people willing to do that job. So usually what happens is, they will look at my name, below it citizenship.. "Bulgaria, non-eu, ohh, nope, sorry mate, no chance". This being Maastricht, a rather small city, working as a foreginer, legally, is practically impossible.

Oh, on top of all, I am allowed to work only 10hours a week. So if you tell me who's gonna hire a non-eu citizen in Maastricht, apply for a working permit, keep position unfilled for x weeks, and go through all this trouble so he can have my precious presence for a weekly maximum of 10hours, for any kind of job, I'd be grateful for the advice. :)

But well, I'm not complaining. These are the rules of the game, protect domestic labour market, what can I do. "If you don't like it, go somewhere else". :)

I do find the rules quite strict though, in particular for students. It's not like there's a massive wave of non-eu students storming the Netherlands and "stealing" jobs aways from locals. But as I said, I'm not complaining, I was aware of this before I came here. :)
)
I have never really bothered with the procedures for non-EU citizens, for EU citizens it is easier. But I do know quite a lot of chinese people who work in chinese restaurants or for shipping companies and they dont have a EU passport.
The standard amount is around ?200 a month and a train ticket.

The_Finn said:
ooo you must be dealing with ton's of crap about the email issue and the patent stuff... i feel for you man i feel for you.. i only get a bit of that from RIM users the come into my store

TF

That has been resolved now. They settled.

It is never a good thing working for a wireless company especially in Technical Support. You have to press the magic button to fix everything.

And Andy, no :);). :lol:

I study IT and
work developing AJAX/PHP/MYSQL

also have a computer graphic desing associate degree ;)

hajj said:
I have never really bothered with the procedures for non-EU citizens, for EU citizens it is easier. But I do know quite a lot of chinese people who work in chinese restaurants or for shipping companies and they dont have a EU passport.
The standard amount is around ?200 a month and a train ticket.

Yeah, with chinese its a bit easier, because there are pleanty of restaurants and shipping companies, that require chinese language, and since there are not many eu people that speak chinese, it's easy to get a working permit.

@ Andy - there are no Bulgarian or Hungarian communities or firms here, maybe in some bigger cities there are, but even if there are, they will be very few.