What do you do?

I'm a racing and performance driving instructor. Been doing that for a little over a year now. I mostly work with karts, but I do some car stuff when I can.

I need to spend more time with people like you.

You can ask Quiky and the others: I am officially the slowest racing driver....in the world. ;)

Seriously though, what kind of classes or training would you recommend for a wanna-be Lemons driver?

I sell automotive parts at a car dealership. It is not glamorous, but it pays well (some of you would poop your pants if I told you) and it's very easy.

Eventually I would like to be an insurance adjust for cars, it's a natural step.

Besides a base hourly salary, I additionally get paid a certain percentage of the net profit of the department.

Respect to you, I think I would lose my mind in a submarine. I am actually getting ready to go on my first boat deployment (carrier), and even though it is such a big vessel I am pretty nervous of the tight spaces and all that water beneath.
It is what it is. I love it because of how we get on. It's like being in the military with out actually being in the military. Everything so so very lax, first name basis with everyone E-1 to O-6. It's what you can do for us, not what you wear on your collar that makes the difference. We work insanely hard hours, and our deployments are pretty crazy (I'm on an SSBN... so 3+ months underwater straight). Still, wouldn't change it for the world and hope to make it my career.

[video=youtube;80Dorc-bOTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Dorc-bOTE[/video]

You wouldn't believe it if I told you, but that is the most accurate submarine movie ever made.

I need to spend more time with people like you.

You can ask Quiky and the others: I am officially the slowest racing driver....in the world. ;)

Seriously though, what kind of classes or training would you recommend for a wanna-be Lemons driver?

Mid-Ohio actually has a good school just outside Lexington, you can rent their Hondas or use your own car. Prices are very reasonable. I think the 3-day race school is 2400 with their car. Not the raciest equipment but it's the cheapest 3-day school in the country. That might be ideal because LeMons cars are closer to a stock-ish car anyway.

You can also get a private coach for a track day. My rate is 500 for a day, but it's kind of regional. You can try to do a larger track day company with volunteer instructors, but it's a real crap shoot for how good they will be. Most of them are just there for the free track time, and most of the time the track day company will tell them to teach a slower technique that is easier to grasp and presumed to be safer for first-timers.

If you're one of those "just want to figure it out by myself" drivers, you can rent a skid pad (maybe at Mid-Ohio) and romp around for a day. Out here you can get a skid pad for a hundred bucks.

Last edited:
You wouldn't believe it if I told you, but that is the most accurate submarine movie ever made.
Did you see Das Boot? Many a lawyer told me that "My Cousin Vinnie" is the most accurate depiction of the US court system, so I don't have a problem believing that a broad comedy can work that well, I just want to know how Das Boot stacks up against it in terms of accuracy.

Ahh so this is you! :D

But yeah, shiftwork. Pretty much the number one drawback right there. Luckily most of our linehaul jobs at Adelaide are day work although there are local metro shifts that work through the night.

There are days where you're cruising along at 115kmh and it's the perfect job. The scenery's nice, the train is well loaded and rolling along smoothly and even train control are giving you a good run with main line crosses. You feel you get paid waaay too much for doing it. Then there are days like today where the Perth bound freight arrives late and we have to sort out the five engines it came in with (all of them with critical failures), pick out the two we need from the spare road, curse the inline fuelling connector which wont attach, spraying me with diesel fuel every time I go to connect it, then having the shift manager and coordinators both telling you to do different things, put these locos there, no wait, here. Oh nah back where they were is fine but can you get me that flat wagon and move that from 11 road to 5 road? Dont get paid nearly enough for those rubbish yard shifts :p.

Would kinda like to go to the US or Canada and drive freights over there for a bit for something different.

i'd love to be that guy, he works in an area thats called the diesel paradise. :D

shift work is something that i can live with, but the guys doing the "long" distance driving have a different shift every day and a shift can start at any time of day.
the only rule is basically that there need to be 11 hours between two shifts and a shift must not be longer than 10 hours 45 minutes.
so its possible to get very different night, morning and afternoon shifts all crammed into one week. especially when morning shifts can start and 2 or 3 am i wouldn't know how to get any sleep.
thankfully in yard work and short haul we have more regular weeks and at my depot the earliest shifts only start from around 5 am.

apart from that your companys sounds just as mine. i'm happy if i can get one day a week where there isn't some important part broken on the locomotives.
especially lovely are the ones that leak diesel exhaust into the cabin.:?

Last edited:
I'm a mix between a repairman and a technician at a small company that work with Volvo Group Trucks Operation, mainly their engine plant in Sk?vde, Sweden. I set up maintenance routines on big lathes, grinders and mills, changing worn parts, make new parts when we can't get spares in time and so on. It's a nice enough job, a lot of troubleshooting which keeps the mind occupied.

I'm an architect, I plan houses and stuff.

It ranges from the refurbishment of existing flats and new pseudo-bauhaus houses to the reconstruction of Frankfurt's Old Town, in which I am involved in the planning of a new half-timbered house right now.

The blue house on the right:

1437_2043-pers-pk_hm-02_1920x1080px.jpg

And what the area looks like right now:

2032922507-1387390178915-RP0byopI009.jpg

It's fun at times but sometimes it's incredibly bureaucratic and detached from any pragmatic approach, especially the Old Town project. For a single detail you might have to consult the structural engineer and the consultants for fire prevention, thermal protection, acoustic protection and the facilities engineer. And when you're done with the last one you can start again from the beginning because so much had to be changed...

Last edited:
Did you see Das Boot? Many a lawyer told me that "My Cousin Vinnie" is the most accurate depiction of the US court system, so I don't have a problem believing that a broad comedy can work that well, I just want to know how Das Boot stacks up against it in terms of accuracy.

This is being sent from my phone so ignore any typos or serious fuck ups. Das Boot is an extremely celebrated movie in the sub world, but as an American we don't have diesel boats anymore, so its sort of comparing apples to oranges. It shows crew comradire very well as well as the rough "equality" of everyone down there. The submarine community worldwide is a very close group of people and I'll say that we all respect anyone who has ever gone to sea, to war, and is still on eternal patrol from any and all nations. Not trying to sound arrogant but it takes a special type of person for this job and only those of us who have done it know it. I think that is the biggest thing Das Boot shows well... the crew.

You people have cooler jobs than me.

I don't. Do you feel better?

To elaborate: I substitute annoyances in other people's workflows with more elaborate annoyances. Or put simply: I'm a software developer.

I'm a metal fabricator for my dad's job shop. We do mostly low production run jobs with relatively short lead times. My current project is a mold for a decorative spun concrete light pole.

What do you do?

I'd rather get paid to type then have an 7 hour commute only to stand around for 8 hours waiting for other people.

I'm a Civil Engineer at a highway / infrastructure firm. I mostly do stormwater design / permitting, sanitary sewer, and waterline design. I've worked on several flood control projects, some local arterial street jobs, and a couple of local interchanges, and big local highway bypass that recently started construction. Every project I've worked on has been a little different, which is fun.

Recently got sucked into working on the post-design phase of a large design build project on one of the coasts. That's been an exciting, challenging, and stressful change for me. I've been an "on-call" drainage designer for issues that arise when field conditions don't match survey or when the owner requires additional changes. I've definitely learned a lot about utility conflicts, quality control, and about as much as I can learn about construction techniques as I can without doing field inspection. I've definitely learned that the first question I need to ask is "what's in the ground now" and the second is "does that need to stay in the ground or come out".

[H]ave an 7 hour commute only to stand around for 8 hours waiting for other people.
That sound awfully like working in film production.

I pull the strings behind getting cargo from point A to point B by land or sea. Basically I'm a travel agent for freight, so if you have 500 tonnes of X that you wish were somewhere else I can do that.