• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

What do you Germans think of your new chancellor?

I'm not a German living in Germany but I think this is a very positive change.
It is a shame that she already had to make many compromises just to get into power. Hopefully she can make at least some major reforms to turn the economy around.

Maybe it is time to look into investing in German stocks . . .
There should be interesting times ahead.

Yeah its pretty fucked, that the frustrated caused a big coalition between our major parties... Swek may disagree, but since I'm from Bavaria, I was raised to vote for CDU/CSU...

Anyway, I think its good to try out a woman for the job...

Buba

No, not at all. The mindstate in Germany is fucked up. Everyone wants a change but when a party actually proposes something everyone suddenly liked the way it was or wants small details changed. Everything would have been better than this coalition.

I don't think that Merkel will change anything though. No party has a clue of how to approach the problems Germany is facing. Desperate measures are all they can offer.

A federalism reform is overdue. That's what this legislation should make their main goal. The current model gives the different states too much power and it's hurting our politics on a national level. But that's something that nobody has the guts or the will to adress.

Oh, and for our Americans in this thread. Having a conservative chancellor doesn't means that they are in power here. They had to bargain with the social democrats to archive this. In fact we're ruled by a conservative-social democratic coalition. :?

German right = American left
idea.gif

i don't particularly like merkel, but then i have not particularly liked any chancellor of my time.
i do however, favour the grand coalition very much. the past two months since the election have already looked very promising.

until now, the political scene was always split between the two big parties. when the one in power tried to do something, the opposition always blocked what they could in order to make them loose the next election. they constantly blamed each other for everything; the government blamed the last government for the situation that was now difficult to handle, while the opposition blamed the current government for being incapable of handling it.
politics were not about what was best for this country, they were just a battle between two parties.
now they are finally both directly responsible, so they both can't just play the old game of blaming the other party. they both have to do something together now or they both will loose in the next election.
for example the federalism reforms:
about a year ago, they both struggled for a year to get it done, because the SPD had the majority in the bundestag (republic's diet) and the CDU the majority in the landtag (state's diet), so the CDU could block any reforms or bills that affected the states. to make things easier they wanted to reorganize the responsibilities of the republic and the states, in order to prevent a lot of bills to be blocked by the landtag. but even after eternal discussions they could not find an agreement.
now, throughout the last two months, they suddenly found an agreement, as part of their coalition's contract.
a lot of people feared the grand coalition because they thought it will not last very long and nothing will be done, but i alwasys argued that its the opposite. both are responsible, none of them can just sit back and blame the others. i think it allows us to finally get something done.
the real problem is that most people just moan all the time and want politicians to be magicians. they elect one big party, see that they can't work miracles and dismiss them again in favour of the other. but they aren't magicians either so they dismiss them as well and go for the first again. its always back and fourth and nothing can be achieved because politicies work on long terms. there aren't any short term solutions and if you always change the player before he can reach any goal you will never score one.

I quite agree with ryosuke, the major fear I've got is that our gouvernment won't last for a whole legislation period. On the one hand I hope that decisions are made now because state's diet won't block the republic's diet now that they are in one coalition. On the other hand these two parties were directly opposite to each other before they were forced to form a coalition, and negotiations beforehand proved to be very difficult because they usually blamed each other for the current situation in Germany.

Personally, I can live with Angela Merkel as cancellor, it definitely would've been much worse if Schroeder would've been reelected.

mautzel said:
Personally, I can live with Angela Merkel as cancellor, it definitely would've been much worse if Schroeder would've been reelected.

I agree with you, but I still dont reallylike this coalition, of course the two parties worked together before (eg HartzIV), but I still think that this will be difficult. And of course it's not a complete change.

hajj said:
mautzel said:

I agree with you, but I still dont reallylike this coalition, of course the two parties worked together before (eg HartzIV), but I still think that this will be difficult. And of course it's not a complete change.

Ditto!

I think she looks horible! :p

oliB said:

Sure she does, but so did Margrethe Thatcher and she achieved something. So the look dont seem to be that important in politics...

^i think they are

but in the other direction

some hot ass babe can never achieve sth in politics i think

oliB said:
i just hope i will never experience the time when the beauty of politicians plays the major role in an election...