• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

what do you guys pay for university books?

pdanev

Forum Addict
i payed today for 3 books f**kin 217 euros :x :x :x
its a goddamn steal imo, only cos its some kinda fancy publisher McGraw-Hill and stuff.... :wall:

we do use 90% of the stuff in the books, so in that sense its not a waste. the books are also quite big 500-1000pages, sometimes even more. the sad thing is that this is usuall practice here, my academic year is divided into 4 blocks and 2 skills trainings which usually dont require books. in each block i have 2 subjects, which require 1-2 books per subject. so i end up always paying 150-200euros per blcok for books. some people photocopy it but a 1000page book with 5cents per photocopying a page its not much of a saving. of course you can zoom out and fit 2 pages on an A4 sheet but thats a killer cos you cant see too much.

the books are ridiculously overpriced imo. getting them off amazon or so isnt an option either since they make the course info available a week before the block stars, so you are running the risk of not getting the books in time.

actually im still "lcuky", some guys at the law faculty pay 200+ euros for some massive tax law books etc...

so what do you guys pay for books at your university?

Usually between 20 and 35 Euro. While this doesn't sound bad, you need loads of them for my studies. I would say I spend an average of 200 ? per semester on books.
It's not too bad though since I only pay 180 ? per semester for my university at the moment ( Bus and Train tickets for the semester are included :thumbsup:).

Well, I will spend 100 euros on an anatomy book this week... That is actually cheap since there used to be a version consistent of 2 books -> each 70 euro ;-)

I really need this one, so, what gives...

One of my roommates is a semster ahead of me, so I can use some of his books... i.e. a physiology book (again 100 Euros) and a smaller one (40).
My Biochemistry book was only 30 Euros...

But you can get most of them from the library as well. Got a Microbiology one for the last exam I had... But you can only get it for a month...

I can kinda see when books are expensive for things only a few ppl study... Some dental medicine books i.e. Only 40 are being bought where I study per semester, because thats the amount of ppl who start...
If you do some other stuff where the sell 10thousands each year -> ripoff

Buba

//edit: Why do you pay 180 Euros Swek? Already Study fees?
I pay 60 with a bus ticket included... No wait, the have some administration fee going, its 120 now... Ok, I see ;-)

i pay about 1400-1500 tuition fee per academic year, nothing included... :(
add the books and thats 1000euros more per year :x
and for buses etc there is no student discount....luckily i never use bus cos the city is rather small, either by bike or by foot (=healthy) :thumbsup:

my McGraw hill General Chemistry book only costs me 6 Euro's cuz I bought it used, plus its 1 edition older than the current one... but the lecturer never refer to it, I just use it as personal reference.... my Thomas calculus book cost me 10Euro's used as well... I actually save alot by buying used books, plus I get the important points highlighted and notes written all over them if I buy it off a nerd :mrgreen:

@ buba, the books i bought today are for my major - logistics. only about 50 people do that at my university. so thats sortof ok.

but in the 1st year of the studies here, all people do the same common stuff, so 3-4000 people buy the same books and prices are the same. 1st year 1st block i payed about 300euros for 4 books and some additional general uni info booklets :cry:

This semester the books were quite expensive ($450) The book for my combinatorics and graph theory class was $100 alone, numerical analysis was $115, Professionalism class was $90, meteorology was $95, and geology was $50. Earlier semesters have been as high as $600, and as low as $200. I think my books for next semester may be higher since they are all specialized books for senior level computer science classes.

I pay about $3500 a semester in tuition (so $7000 a year) but get free bus access, health care, gym access and dining on campus included.

pdanev said:
but in the 1st year of the studies here, all people do the same common stuff, so 3-4000 people buy the same books and prices are the same. 1st year 1st block i payed about 300euros for 4 books and some additional general uni info booklets :cry:

Why don't you buy some books from people who gave up after one or two semesters ? There are notes everywhere from those people trying to get at least some money back. You might get some expensive ones for cheap that way.

swek said:
There are notes everywhere from those people trying to get at least some money back. You might get some expensive ones for cheap that way.

as I said... thats exactly why I don't buy new books... its not that I'm cheap... its just that old books have notes and the previous owner probably highlighted all the important points as well

Pdanev don't you have the "OV-Jaarkaart?", you can travel for free with Public Transport.

I pay about 1300-1700 euros collegemoney per year, and about 1000euros on books this year, and I'm still buying books right now. In the summervacation I need to work alot to buy the books for the next year.

I have about 18 books now and I do use almost all, some books were put on the book list by accident, so we all paid 120euros for nothing.

jos... 1000euro's for books every semester or year... because don't you change subjects every semester?

You bought everything they suggested you ? I don't do that because often the profs are trying to push a friends or their own book. I usually take a look at all of them and by one I like.

hokiethang said:
I pay about $3500 a semester in tuition (so $7000 a year) but get free bus access, health care, gym access and dining on campus included.

Expensive, but it sounds really nice!

Buba

No 1000euro untill now and I still have to buy books every semester.

No Swek, I didn't buy them all, would have been even more expensive if I did, I only buy the book after it has been discussed in the colleges and if it's really clear that I have to use them to pass the test.

But the books I'm talking about ARE necessarry but those people at the desk aren't the smartest people at my school..so they accidentally switched names with another department of my study.

how do you guys spend so much on books... I only take 4 subjects every semester and if I bought new books... it'll be about 80EUR

Well with Architecture it's not only about buildings, you have to know alot about other things too, like Sustainable Engineering, communication, Maths, Statistics, Construction, Mechanics, Drawing, Sketching, AutoCAD, History of Buildings and Architecture, Materials, Building Physics and some more.

Concidering that each course has 1 or 2 books you'll see that you have to buy quite few books, and when you begin with your new semester, you'll have different courses..

I also buy only the compulsory literature, the "recommended" stuff is totally a waste of money, cos you will not have time to read that and noone will ask you that. However without the compulsory literature you are totally lost.

We have quite a big library here, but the problem is that you can not borrow "common" textbooks, you can read them in the library and photocopy them but you cant borrow them. And as i said, photocopying is 5cents per page if you do it yourself. So, when you have a 1000page book you hardly save anything by photocopying it, if you save at all. Wtih a ~500page book you can save 15-20 euros, given that you want to spend a whole day on photocopying. If you give it to the copyshop, they'll obviously charge you for the service, so you dont save anything again.

Not too many people sell their old books here, cos in a lot of courses later on previous books can come in handy.

A couple guys at my school started a website http://www.cubookswap.com in protest of the book stores. Even used books in the stores are insanely priced. I was able to get all my books for this semester for under $200, compared to almost double that for the previous semester. Although, last semester I did have to drop $90 on a calculus book, thankfuly it's the same book for Calc 1, 2, and 3. Chemistry and Physics books are the most expensive, but I got my Macroeconomics book for $15. Also there are quite a few used textbooks for sale on amazon.com