What do you think is the best amount of cylinders for a performance car?

What do you think is the best amount of cylinders for a performance car?

• Total voters
A car with a big block Ford V8 defeated their 3L V12 250 at Le Mans four years in a row. Not necessarily a compromise.

But I bet the big block ford was over 3 liters.

I really don't know too much about the specifics but are you talking about the original GT-40?

But I bet the big block ford was over 3 liters.

I really don't know too much about the specifics but are you talking about the original GT-40?

Yep. The same V8 which also had the best power/weight ratio of all the engines being raced there.

The reason I dont buy these singular answers is because its almost impossible to find a single engine config that goes well in ALL types of compact cars.

Yes the I-6 is great in GTRs, Ford Falcons and BMWs, but do you see them going well in small darty hot hatches? or large mid engined hypercars?

So basically if one says the I6 is the ultimate performance engine (or V8 or flat 4) that implies all performance cars that do NOT possess that engine...is crap, or not a true performance car.

Of course, "best" amount is stupid. So I answered it like in "personal favourite". ;)

Yes the I-6 is great in GTRs, Ford Falcons and BMWs, but do you see them going well in small darty hot hatches? or large mid engined hypercars?

It would be great in a Lamborghini. :lol:

It would be great in a Lamborghini. :lol:

We could have a Lamborghini with a I-6 engine, just slap a supercharger and a couple of turbos and make it produce 700hp :mrgreen:

I6 are the only way to go.

6 cyl. more than that is compensating for the lack of genitalia.

difficult to choose between V8 and V12... gone for V8 in the end

I'll comment when I have driven/owned one of every sort. :mrgreen:

5 Cylinder turbo. I damn wish I swapped Audi's 2.2 AAN motor out of a 93-96 S4/S6. the 4 cylinders turbo's just don't put out torque, but a 5 cyl, with some minor work are monsters.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxx__mhqM14[/YOUTUBE]

Not to mention its one of the best damn sounding motors.

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/8/21/files/TTRS_full.mp3

Last edited:
6 cylinders. 2 turbo's.
So that'll be the 335i then.

audi-quattro-s1-m3-in-ne-7.jpg

I would have voted 6, but the problem with just the number 6, without any further clarification, is that it would allow for V6s - and V6s are BAAAAAAAAAAAD.

so i5, i6, v8, or upwards of that. no engines shorter than 4 cylinders please.