• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

What Do You Think is the Greatest Problem Facing America?

MPower

Topic is pretty self-explainatory. Anyone outside of American residency should feel free to post but dont turn this into a Bush-bash/America-bash fest. IF you want to talk about that, post somewhere else. Also, any answer relating to Bush and getting him out of office will not apply as the Presidency will end in 2008 anyway. Im talking about legitimate problems.

My vote: overpopulation. A lot of people want to talk about how terrorism is the greatest problem facing America but the fact remains that no matter how great terrorism will get, America can handle it. That doesnt mean that we shouldnt address it because I am all in favor in fighting the War on Terror but I dont think it is the greatest problem facing America (it is actually #2 on my list). I will explain my point about overpopulation later when I have more time.

We have a LOT of room for growth, we aren't even close to capacity geographically or economically.

I think the greatest problems facing us are extremism, apathy, and preoccupation with the rest of the world. Those with extreme views are constantly pressing them upon the public, and because we're all pretty well off nobody seems to mind at the moment. We focus too much on the rest of the world and too little on improving where we live.

I think the current biggest problems are in the schools.
Lowering the standards so the kids look smarter, but not learn as much. I see other problems as well, such as legitimizing bad behavior by calling it psychological problems, kids get too much ritalin for being active, and such.

If america is to remain the greates nation on God's green Earth, then we should focus our attention on future generations. The clinton administration did much to lower standards and increase testing in public schools spending millions on useless standardized testing when it could have been spent on improving the education kids get. Then there is the problem of ignoring bullying and bad behavior. How do I know: my younger brother is in 7th grade and tells stories of how school bullies have to go to psychiatrist for psychiatric examinations and then get put on ritalin or some other depressant. Which brings me to the other problem of giving too much drugs to kids. My little sister is active and smart. She just started kindergarden, but already there have been suggestions that she be put on ritalin because she's a bit active and like to run around. Even though she is beginning to read. She just turned six, and I hate to have to see children being put on drugs because they show enthusiasm or charisma.

andyhui01 said:
well... overpopulation can be solved by allowing gay marriage :p

You had to mention that, didn't you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tomo Motorsport said:
I think the current biggest problems are in the schools.
Lowering the standards so the kids look smarter, but not learn as much. I see other problems as well, such as legitimizing bad behavior by calling it psychological problems, kids get too much ritalin for being active, and such.

If america is to remain the greates nation on God's green Earth, then we should focus our attention on future generations. The clinton administration did much to lower standards and increase testing in public schools spending millions on useless standardized testing when it could have been spent on improving the education kids get. Then there is the problem of ignoring bullying and bad behavior. How do I know: my younger brother is in 7th grade and tells stories of how school bullies have to go to psychiatrist for psychiatric examinations and then get put on ritalin or some other depressant. Which brings me to the other problem of giving too much drugs to kids. My little sister is active and smart. She just started kindergarden, but already there have been suggestions that she be put on ritalin because she's a bit active and like to run around. Even though she is beginning to read. She just turned six, and I hate to have to see children being put on drugs because they show enthusiasm or charisma.
I agree^

overmedication hurts everyone, the kids who actually need it and the kids who don't. When you medicate every kid instead of teaching them that looks bad, because it is. at the same time kids who may benefit from such medication are denied that because of the poor image it has already.

Another huge problem that actually happened to me(and looks like your sister may be in the same boat) is that many times above average children are not challeged or looked upon as troublesome. You get bored with the materiel and when nothing challenges you the only way to escape the tedium, is by goofing off or seeking social status. There is a severe deficit in accelerated programs these days in public school. Not challenging kids is bad enough, but when you medicate them to slow them down that hurts them before they can even gain thier full potential!

zenkidori, funny how your post ended up after UKD's though I doubt that's what you meant...

I'll post my USD 0.02 when I am a little more concious...

jeffy777 said:
andyhui01 said:
well... overpopulation can be solved by allowing gay marriage :p

You had to mention that, didn't you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

well... its an excellent idea if you think about it... Gay people can just *&$% each other all they want, and because gay people have a higher chance of getting STD's... then medication would be needed, therefore drawing the resources from giving medications to the kids... which leads to less medication being used on kids... win win for everyone :p

Hmmm....that's a good question. I see it from different angles though. Short term, homeland security. The Iraq war is a disaster, and the United States is going to have to mitigate any negative consequences from it. (How that can be done is another debate entirely)

Long term, education (as already noted). There is something about this upcoming generation of youths, I can't put my finger on it....maybe it's lazy, disrescpetful....selfish. I dunno.

^^^

I Completely agree. All three I think. Lazy because they're not challenged enough in school with low standards and because parental discipline is "bad" for the kid's self-esteem. Disrespectful because of the lack of discipline, selfish, again lack of discipline.

Another big problem: LACK OF DISCIPLINE.

You rack a disciprine.

Fear of technology is another factor harming the whole word I think. So many beneficial technology shunned because people are afraid of it or it's misuse.

Firecat said:
I can't put my finger on it....maybe it's lazy, disrescpetful....selfish. I dunno.

on a more serious note: I absolutely agree with this, there is something very wrong with the upcoming generations of youth,(I hope I don't offend anyone) they are disrespectful to anyone (esp. their parents), complain about anything. I believe most of the people on this forum is born in the early 80's, which doesn't apply to them so much. But the people born in the late 80's (ie Me), have changed so much... I have 13 cousins ranging from age 26 to like 5months old and I can see the contrast. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything but honestly, I was raised by asian parents (obviously) and they were really strict on family values, respect. So somehow, I am way more mature, just a quick comparison, me and jasonchiu(regulars would know him), his parents are just like whatever, he can do anything he wants......etc. It just sickens me to see kids of the same generation where asian parents try to be like american parents where they just allow the kid to do anything, swear and whomever they want... have zero family values. And I hope I'm right on this, judging from my cousins who grew up in states and are in their mid 20's now, when they were younger, they were nothing like todays youth's...

Tomo Motorsport said:
^^^

I Completely agree. All three I think. Lazy because they're not challenged enough in school with low standards and because parental discipline is "bad" for the kid's self-esteem. Disrespectful because of the lack of discipline, selfish, again lack of discipline.

Another big problem: LACK OF DISCIPLINE.

I was born in Canada, left when I was 10. Ages 10-17 were in South Africa. Corporal punishment, uniforms...we were taught respect and discipline. When I came to the States for my senior year, I was quite shocked at how students talked back to teachers etc...I also found the work to be much easier.

yea... what you guys said... kids today have no respect nor dicipline. This is whats wrong, and I believe Parents are to blame

BLAME CANADA!

seriously tho, public school in this country is worthless. After seeing what happened with me and a younger brother the youngest is going to private school FOREVER! classrooms cater to the student with the least potential, punish those who are too bright, don't instill discipline, and generally allow kids to run around being stupid and doing as they please. The parents are to blame for all of this.