• He'll get a podium or two

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • He'll win a race or two

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • He'll win more than a few

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2010 World Driver's Champion

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • You aren't the same as you were. Give up already.

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters

TopGearJB007

Car(s)
Civic
Michael Schumacher, as we all know, hasn't been up to par so far this season except for Spain where I think he did well. I think Spain was only the beginning for him this season. He won't be 8- time champion, but I think he may be able to pull off a few wins. What do you think of Schumacher?

TGJB007

I don't know why we have this thread about 1 specific driver who's not great or interesting this season.
On topic I think he will only win if the other top 6 guys fail due to weather, equipment, poor team decision. You say Spain was good for him. I don't think he was any better there, I put it down to a car that's better suited to him. In the race he didn't do much, keeping position is easier than taking 1 so until he starts overtaking top 8 I will not care.

I was never a Schumacher fan, but we are talking here about the only man in the world who would be allowed to drive an F1 car after spending 3 years not really racing at all. Much less anything compared to what he?s driving now. It takes years to learn to drive a car like this, even if you?ve done it before. Even if you?ve done it really fucking well before.

All this media crap around the whole Schumi myth is getting really annoying. I say as long as he?s having fun, leave the guy alone.

I was never a fan, still am not, actually. However, to discount him is folly. He is a legend, and he knows how to make things work for him. I expect a few podiums and maybe a win or two.

A podium or two.

If the car can deliver the result, then I'd expect to see Schumi on the top steps of the podium very soon.

At this rate, it won't happen for at least another 4 or 5 races

im a big schumacher fan, but im realistic.... i think he'll do ok. i put down he might win 1 or 2 races, but thats my optimistic view, coming back a bit i think if he does grab a couple of wins it might not always be because schumi/brawn/mercedes was the fastest package.... more chance happenings of attrition (like breakdowns/crashes/penalties...very likely things in RB's case)

under normal circumstances though, i expect that a couple of podium finishes will be realistic results for him. i know he won 7 championships... alot of them when ferrari simply had the best car.... but i dont think anyone can just take 3 years out and then return to a car thats seen some pretty significant alterations, in a new team, and be immediately a dab hand at it. no thats just unrealistic and i think its unfair that people kinda expected that to happen....he's a very good, very smart, clued up driver with many tricks up his sleeve...but he aint god like.

whats more the mercedes isnt the fastest package on the grid....we are seeing now that really the brawn car wasnt all that special, it just took advantage of a loop hole everyone else failed to spot, once everyone caught it up it was just another car. i mean this is the ex-Honda team here.... they didnt make a fast car ever.

overall i dont think he'll add an 8th world championship, but id at least have a small bet on that in his final contracted year with the team...he would be up there fighting for the championship....he might come 2nd or 3rd perhaps. he has that awesome ability to make a team orbit around him and get them to give him exactly what he knows he wants, so i wouldnt write him off just yet and i wouldnt bet against him.

and yeah, the guys pretty much been there done that and got his name on all the trophies and all the records in the record book (pretty much). theres really not anything left for him to achieve and he certainly doesnt have to prove his worth.... he's just enjoying it and thats great.

i suppose some people might be a bit uppity about him driving for the sake of it, or drving just for his own enjoyment, but come on.... if your gonna have someone driving to scratch their own itch....you could do a lot worse that having schumacher be that someone.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that his cooperation with Brawn is starting to kick in and by the end of the season he could be on par with the Maccas and Ferraris but only if Mercedes can keep making the car quicker...much quicker. If he's got the engineers I have no doubt he can still drive well enough to fight in the top.

I wonder if beating Nico Rosberg was pure skill, luck, or Rosberg just having a bad weekend. I'm betting on a little of all of them.

Luck didn't have much to do with it, but it was a combination of Schumi getting things right, and Nico getting things a bit wrong.

Personally, I think he'll get better, but I'd be surprised if he manages to add an 8th WDC to his record. Most champions who have been away from the sport for a few years, only to return about 2-3 years later have failed to achieve any success. For instance, Alan Jones didn't do well, neither did Nigel Mansell. The only one I can think of who have managed to pull that off is Niki Lauda; after quitting in 1979 he returned with full force in 1982 and scored a win in the 3rd race in his comeback year, at Long Beach. He went on to score his 3rd WDC in 1984.

I was never a fan, still am not, actually. However, to discount him is folly. He is a legend, and he knows how to make things work for him. I expect a few podiums and maybe a win or two.

Couldn't have said it better.

Getting booted in Round 2 of qualifying? Starting 13th position? Sloppy driving? Finishing 11th? I give up. Schumi's lost it.

You should have seen me when he was in 3rd though. I was bouncing off the walls.

Last edited:
Getting booted in Round 2 of qualifying? Starting 13th position? Sloppy driving? Finishing 11th? I give up. Schumi's lost it.

And you know what exactly went on in the Mercedes? Schumi seemed to be running 7th behind Roseberg then he started falling back, if you ask me I have no doubt something went wrong in that car. He pitted in time if I remember right so it wasn't the tyres but he kept setting lap times about 2.5 seconds slower than he did before the pit. Something went wrong there.

I have to say he drove really badly this race. No speed, but still driving cars off the road the whole time...

And you know what exactly went on in the Mercedes? Schumi seemed to be running 7th behind Roseberg then he started falling back, if you ask me I have no doubt something went wrong in that car. He pitted in time if I remember right so it wasn't the tyres but he kept setting lap times about 2.5 seconds slower than he did before the pit. Something went wrong there.

I wouldn't doubt it cause he was in 3rd at one point.

not his best day today was it?

he got a good start, and seemed to have decent pace. then just kinda fizzled out. the first incident with Kubica..... to be honest i would put that one down as a racing incident. yes he squeezed kubica on his exit of the pits, but kubica chose to keep his foot in it and what happened after that? well seeing as they didnt actually touch (or come close to touching) that was just a racing incident. they were both going too quick into that corner.

the incident with massa though was completely uncalled for, and he was very scruffy with the force india's (though by that point i dont really think the car was doing what he wanted it to, back end was all over the show)

I found Schumi to drive unnecessarily rough today, which is what I originally learned to dislike him for. I wouldn't mind seeing him qualifying and finishing higher up, but not when he starts driving like this again. <_<

I think there's a sense that drivers can earn the right to be rough by being very good (Hamilton/Alonso/old Schumi). Now he just looks stupid doing it, because he's not driving better than average.