What exotic driving locations should Top Gear film at?

Hmmmm .... that looks like Fun! Any road signs like this along the way?

Road-Sign.jpg

:lol: well that castle is an extra point for going there

Russia or Korea. I'd like to say China but it's actually not got that great of roads, and it's filled with 1.3 billion bad drivers (There are NO good Chinese drivers).

Russia or Korea. I'd like to say China but it's actually not got that great of roads, and it's filled with 1.3 billion bad drivers (There are NO good Chinese drivers).

that is so true. last time i was there, i was too scared to cross the street in beijing and shanghai... kept going back to the star bucks and getting more frap instead of carrying on with sightseeing. it's a possibly deadly adventure doing anything on the roads of china.

Oh come on! I live in BE... The weather is horrible! Actually... this December has been amazingly good (blue skies, sunshine... bloody freezing tho).

The only reason I would ever want TG to film in the *cough* *splutter* "beautiful" Belgium is so they film in BE. Remember what Jezza says about BE when he drove through here with the SLR? "Belgium has the only fully lit motorway system." That's the ONLY thing he finds good about it.

I opt for Cape Town, South Africa. It's not too dangerous. Hamster filmed there for the SLR launch and it was amazing. Great weather, amazing scenery. We have roads that run along the coasts, in the forest, moutain passes high up in the north, bush areas, deserts...

I 2X for South Africa. I recently went through the Outeniqua pass, in the Western Cape (near Cape Town) and it was a crazy drive!!! Steep hills and twisty windy roads, hairpin bends.

What made it more crazy is that I don't know the road at all, and it was PITCH dark at about 6pm or so, and I was running late to check into the guest house. I got the feeling sometimes that there were sheer cliff drops all around me, and I couldn't see them, making it even scarier! I was very happy to be finished with the pass! I'd like to see it in the day time though and enjoy the view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP0lfe3h3Uo

Southern Spain. Again.

I would say Finland again, I just love to see TG in Finland =) Another cool trip would be across the Siberia with a reasonably priced second or third or whatever hand car... And the time of the year has to be in January. It would be AVG -47,8 celcius degrees there(according to wikipedia :D ). Thats those temperatures you would have to start checking the fastenings of your manhood(referencing ofc to the Winter olympics special :D ). If those guys could manage that with old cars, I would eat my on hands. :D

I'd like to say China but it's actually not got that great of roads, and it's filled with 1.3 billion bad drivers (There are NO good Chinese drivers).

I am sure the law of averages says there is a good Chinese driver, but I have never encountered one either.

That said they control eveything now or will in future, so I will leave it lest General Tso sends some agents to whack me triad style.

For lack of anything better at the moment, my first suggestion will be US 129 The Tail of the Dragon http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html A road I've admittedly never been on, but something that, with 318 turns winding through the forest, looks absolutely amazing. A road that I have been on in TN, that was fun with great scenery, was US 64/US 74, west of Ducktown TN.
I go to the TOD regularly and have been many times. Nothing can match it!

poster2005.jpg

Last edited:
There is an old Robert Mitchum movie called Thunder Road, which I think may have been where the idea for The Dukes of Hazard came from. That's just speculation, as the movie is much better than that TV show. Thunder Road featured some of the TOD.

And I agree too that they should do something here in Australia. Apart from South America and Antartica, it's the other only continent they haven't done anything on.

Melbourne to Adelaide, perhaps? (or should i say mishaps?) I hope a guy in the BBC office looks at this and says "what a brilliant idea".

Top Gear Race across Siberia, in only cars?

The three best roads according to Alfa Romeo (so TG has to love them, right? :p):

The Jebel Hafeet Road (UAE), the Atlantic Road/Atlanterhavsveien (Norway), the Coll de Cals Reis (Mallorca/Spain, I'm guessing they drove on this one during the classic car rally they took part in).

http://www.alfaromeo.it/bestroads/
I can vouch for the Atlantic Road. Only problem is that it's pretty short so it could be used for a short segment presenting a new car. Some SUV or something. The weather up here right now would give it a stern test and a potentially great segment :)

Lofoten islands in Norway, the place is just magnificient, pictures don't do any justice to it. About 200 kilometres of pure awesomeness.

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Last edited:
Lofoten islands in Norway, the place is just magnificient, pictures don't do any justice to it. About 200 kilometres of pure awesomeness.

* snips* awesome pics of scenery nothing like the Thames valley

5.JPG

That looks fantastic :thumbup:.

(At least to a city dweller like me, who hasn?t got even a modest mountain within 250 kilometres!)

Maybe the should try China. It'd be a great place for an Africa/Vietnam type challenge.

Jebel Hafeet Road (UAE), ;)

http://img7.imageshack.**/img7/8150/70118871.gif

While I love Deals Gap(see sig) all the rednecks and motor bikers might drive :clarkson: insane.

I would like to tackle this one myself, located in Morocco's Atlas mountains.
038_pics.jpg