What foods do you love you were once hesitant to eat?

Chicken feet at Chinese Yum Cha.
Steamed shark eyeball in rice noodle dumpling wasn't bad, though a bit bland.

Eggplant. Chinese style.

Now I love it :love:

Being Chinese, I'm used to food that gets a lot of stares (e.g. cow tongue, cow intestines, chicken hearts, liver). I'm pretty much down to eat anything. Except durian.

Durian is something I vow never to eat.

Blech.

durian.JPG

Kimchi

Brocoli, rice, honduran cheese still dislike rice tho

Didn't like green salad when I was a kid, or any salad for that matter!

Now I can't get enough, love the stuff!! oh And I love a cold tomato ana hot day, yumm! with just a pinch of salt :D

I agree (with the salad).

Salad used to do nothing at all for me. Nowadays, I love the stuff and can't get enough (although a lot depends on the dressing).

Cheese too, if I'm being honest. In the past only one type of processed cheese (Babybel) appealed, nowadays I'm busy diving into France's 300 different types.

This is probably going to sound weird for a kid who grew up in Maine, but oh well.
Lobster and steamed clams. When I was a kid, I couldn't eat either one. Fried clams I love; and still do - although the only kind I can get here in California are generally the frozen strips. But I think it was the appearance of the critters that freaked me out. In fact, I never ate steamed clams until 7 years ago when I was visiting my family and we had a clambake.
Now I don't eat that much seafood here in California, but everytime I go to Maine, I stock up on lobster and clams. And lobster rolls! :drool: - probably my favorite all-time sandwich. I have to go to Red's Eats in Wiscasset for the best lobster rolls on the planet every time I'm in Maine.

Eggplant. Chinese style.

Being Chinese, I'm used to food that gets a lot of stares (e.g. cow tongue, cow intestines, chicken hearts, liver). I'm pretty much down to eat anything. Except durian.

Blech.

durian.JPG

I remember watching The Travel Channel, and I remember Anthony Bourdain loved durian, and Andrew Zimmern hated it. In fact, IIRC, durian and khlea (dried beef preserved in its own fat) are about the only things that Andrew Zimmern could not finish eating.
I also remember seeing signs around Malaysia warning people not to eat durian in certain public places, the smell was so off-putting.

I've found that the things I didn't like but like now are usually things I can only take in certain ways, or in certain places.

I used to hate tomatoes, but now I'll eat them--provided they're flavorful and don't taste like cardboard. (Problem is, 99.9% of them around here seem to be yucky.) I still won't touch artichokes...unless they're in cheesy artichoke dip. I used to hate rice, too. Now I'll eat white sticky rice, especially if it's attached to sushi. I've gotten to where I'll eat bleu cheese dressing if it's with hot wings (oddly, bleu cheese in crumble form was never a problem--it's the watered-down dressing form I couldn't/sometimes still can't stand) and especially if it's got little crumbles of the real stuff in it. I've found that fajitas aren't too bad, either--I just hated the smell of the onions sizzling around (seriously, I've smelt better armpits and don't get the appeal of stinky fajita platters in Mexican restaurants). And finally, I still hate ranch dressing and still hate bacon, but there's these odd "crazy wing" things that one of the restaurants here does where the combination of ranch and bacon isn't too bad...like two eews that make something very, very yummy.

I was (and still am) a pretty picky kid. But now, I'll try just about anything at least once. I want Zimmern's job. :D

Foie gras. I puked the first time I ate it, but now, I'm hopelessly in love with it. I know it's cruel, but the thing is just heaven! :D

Eggplant. Chinese style.

Blech.

durian.JPG

OI! I was just about to post about my great love for durians! :lol:

I'm Chinese, and yeah, we eat/cook/stew/fry/etc. almost every single organ we can find in the poultry and animals. :mrgreen: