What fuel do you use?

What fuel do you use?

• Bio-ethanol (petrol with adative in my opinion)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bio-diesel/SVO (I know there different)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ruuman

Car(s)
Defender 90, suzuki SJ410, Suzuki DL-650
I don't think anyone's asked this.

I'm talking about your daily driver, thought it might be interesting. Might be worth posting your average MPG, average speed and car too.

Well my trip computer recons:

Avg speed 52mph over last 6000miles (must try harder)
Avg MPG 46.2mpg (nice)

Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi

Ruu

Petrol. Depending on the price fluctuations, Optimax high octane or just regular.

Average speed
Motorway: 60mph, 40ish mpg
Country: 50mph (just due to the demanding roads, not chosing to go slower than the limit)
Town: 35mph

Its not like there is that high of an availability for anything other than petrol or diesel. Plus in this forum you can probably imagine a stronger than usual petrol turn out - not only cause we're petrolheads - but a large number of us are in America, where diesel particulate legislation is tighter and we ONLY get diesels in TDI VWs (No Audi diesels mind you), that ONE mercedes E350 Bluetech and industrial vehicles.

I use 93 Octane in my Subaru 2.5 Turbo (what it requires, I was suprised it drank premium) and I get 23mpg cumulative gas mileage on my computer. I think respectable considering the sticker says it only gets 19/25.

Last edited:
Narcolepsy That why I thought it would be interesting as we have such an international membership on this forum. Also now that Australian gov has recently passed a sweet deal to encourage the use of LPG by subsidising the conversion of any car by 2K-3K ASD.

Also continental europe has many alt fuel offerings avalible. I expect the US to be mainly gasoline, but it will be interesting in a few years to see what effect the introduction of ultra low sulphur diesel has.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone's asked this.

I'm talking about your daily driver, thought it might be interesting. Might be worth posting your average MPG, average speed and car too.

Well my trip computer recons:

Avg speed 52mph over last 6000miles (must try harder)
Avg MPG 46.2mpg (nice)

Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi

Ruu

i averaged 70 on the way back from swinden :D the otherday and the diesel ford galaxy joined to a 5 speed slush box returned 36mpg in the process which is crap for a diesel. though yeah i was doin 85 most of the time.

we need like a sub poll .... like which brand.... shell, BP, texaco, total, jet, esso, exxon mobil or whatever

oh yeah

my trip computer is limited to telling me how many miles i have done, thats it, but its a focus 1.4

typically do 80 ish on the motorways and if i had to guess it returns 35-40mpg at that pace

if i stick to 70 (which if you notice in almost all ford petrols 3000rpm is 70mph, ie 3000rpm being the optimum rev's for fuel efficiency) id say it then returns 40-45mpg

i should do it properly but i cant afford to brim the tank twice just to check

Last edited:
Its not like there is that high of an availability for anything other than petrol or diesel. Plus in this forum you can probably imagine a stronger than usual petrol turn out - not only cause we're petrolheads - but a large number of us are in America, where diesel particulate legislation is tighter and we ONLY get diesels in TDI VWs (No Audi diesels mind you), that ONE mercedes E350 Bluetech and industrial vehicles.

I use 93 Octane in my Subaru 2.5 Turbo (what it requires, I was suprised it drank premium) and I get 23mpg cumulative gas mileage on my computer. I think respectable considering the sticker says it only gets 19/25.

93 octane is premium?

is octane the same as RON? so 93 octane = 93RON?

our standard fuel here is 95 ron and then the premium stuff is 98-99

we need like a sub poll .... like which brand.... shell, BP, texaco, total, jet, esso, exxon mobil or whatever

that would be interesting to find out which fuel company the forum is supporting, maybe we can get sponsorship :)

I must admit my average speed was poor this month as I've been doing crap journeys through the countryside behind old people and roadworks. My usual 6k average is about 72mph, average 95+mph M-way speeds but still getting 42mpg. I love diesel!!!

Wait, there are fuels other than gasoline?

I get about 32 mpg with mixed driving and 40+ on highway road trips.

I usually put 98ROZ in my tank, if I can?t avoid it 100ROZ...

I?m slightly confused about how to calculate my mpg, I looked here but there?s UK and US mpg... I went for UK...

averages (all assuming medium to little traffic):
motorway normally:
140kmh 8-9l/100km (35-31mpg)

motorway in a hurry:
170kmh 11-12l/100km (25-23 mpg)

60-70kmh 8-9l/100km (35-31mpg)

city:
40kmh and around 10l/100km (28mpg)

track:
speed? well,fast :) around 12-15l/100km (23-18mpg)

all fairly decent estimates from distance traveled, amount refilled, as I don?t have a computer...

Gasoline, and only premium, which is 91 octane here.

40MPG on the highway at 60 MPH, low 20's MPG in town, but that's with my driving style ;)

No need for a tight-wad rattler here :D (diesel ;))

Last edited:
http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/fuelconsumptionconversion.htm

handy calculator..

US mpg != UK mpg

UK gallon being bigger.. give more miles..

for example the skoda fabia TDI got 38 US mpg which.. isn't too bad i guess..

my car does about 28 mpg US in town.. no highway.. which is.. 33.6mpg UK

not too shabby for a 200hp v6

on the highway it gets about 32mpg US.. which is 38mpg UK

My truck gets about 18mpg US combined.. which is about 21mpg UK.. but i'm contributing to global warming.. and considering i'm living in canada.. i think it's a damn good idea.. it was -12C this morning.. and temp is dropping.. guess i need to drive more :lol:

Gas-o-line

around to 40mpg highway, and 30mpg in town.

Highway cruising at 65mph (or 80mph on interstates), in town: whatever the speed limit is.

Not bad for a big 'ol minivan, eh?

Damn Ford Prefect I'd think the fuel economy is a lot better in a Mini. Must be the stone-age engine under the hood.