What got you into "photography"?

That Guy

I really would like to get into it but.. I find it's quite expensive :/ ..When I get a full time job i'll more than likely purchase a decent camera. My brother has a Nikon D60, quite like it to be honest..
So.. like the title says, what got you into photography?

Last edited:
Browsing the Lens Flair thread in this forum. :D

You can do some halfway-decent photography with a cheap camera as well, trust me on this. See the earlier photos in the flickr link in my sig for proof.

Last edited:
Nothing in particular got me into photography. I had just bought a point n shoot for going to the Detroit Auto Show, then just kind kept at it after that.

Actually being a petrolhead can be the reason why I enjoy photography a lot right now. Simply browsing great pictures on the web/seeing great pictures around (I was only interested in automotive photography at first) got me into thinking "god, I wish I could do that". Then I just tried it, liked it and from there on it was just natural really, like any other hobby.

Well a nice man said he would give me lots of baby oil if I posed for him 'au naturel'. How could I refuse? :)

We used to have a POS Nikon P&S that was slow, made crappy pictures and everything you can imagine. So one day my nephew (5 at the time), knocks it off the table, breaking something inside, so we had to get a new one. That's when it all started. That cam was fast, snappy, better built and made really good quality pictures. 2 weeks later I ordered my first long zoom cam with manual controls, a year later my first DSLR, 2 years ago I bought the current DSLR and have just been building my lens collection since.

i came intrested in cams when i was about 12, takin snaps with my dads yashica. when i was about 15 i bought my first film cam. auto everything, no zoom at all and had a blast with it. Then at 2002 i bought a digital cam Jenoptik JD5200z3 5.2Megapixel camera with 3x zoom, for the price it had decent macro etc.. 2006 i bought 350d, which i still have. still collecting some lenses for it.

I stumbled upon Prodrift website a long long time ago, and saw pictures of Paddy. I think he is the sole reason I got serious in this game.

I always admired other people's photography but never really considered doing it myself. Then I started to fool around w my older P&S and wondered why I couldnt get the same kind of results (mostly because I didn't learn basic principles of photography) and then decided the best way to learn was jump in the deep end and bough a D40, then forced myself to read, learn and practice nonstop

Bought my first Sony point and shoot in middle school, thing sucked, but I got some stellar pictures from it to be honest.

Eventually I manned up and got my dSLR and haven't looked back.

Ironically up to a few years ago I didn't consider photography an art form. I always just thought photographers were taking pictures of things that were already there and weren't creating anything new. Then my brother got into the hobby and I started to see all that went into it. I had always loved taking snapshots at car shows with my cheap little point and shoot and, taking inspiration from my brother, I started getting a little more creative by focusing on the little details of the cars. Since then I've upgraded to a full-on DSLR with multiple lenses and I've branched out into general still life and nature. I just keep getting more and more hooked.

Must be a family thing. While supporting my family on a grad student budget, my dad managed to scrape together enough cash for a Canon T70 back in the early 80s. Even though I didn't do the film thing, once I got a digital camera (read:borrowed his) I was hooked.

Christmas 2007: Brother-in-law had been into photography for a while, got his first DSLR

Early 2008: Woah, that's a cool toy

May 2008: Huurrr, I just wanna expensive camera so I can take nice piktarz too and post in Lens Flair

Summer 2008: Woah... I think I'm obsessed with this.

Later 2008: OK, I'm officially obsessed with this. People are telling me I'm getting pretty good at it, too.

Today: still obsessed, keep thinking I'm getting worse and better at the same time. Curse you, Dunning-Kruger.

Last edited: