• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

What Happens to the Tuners?

Tha_bounce

Ok i was sitting in my computer class and this hit me.
I was thinking bout the CL65 in the newest top gear episode and thinking bout the new M5 as well and the horsepower and torque battle Jeremy was on about and it hit me, what happens to the Tuners - namely the popular ones such as Hamann and Brabus for Bmw and Benz respectively.
Bout 2 years ago im sure there were no more than 10 cars that surpassed the 600 Bhp mark and they were supercars but now theres tons. Tuners such as Hamanns'c claim to fame - were that they would tune your engine or replace it and allow it to put oout more, faster quicker etc. Yes they offered body kits and different interiors but majorly they worked the Bhp angle, so what happens now.....
The tuners for Bmw and Benz, M and AMG are owned or affialiated with the companies and now that say Benz have like all models of their cars with more than 600 bhp. - The coming E65, SL65, S65, CL65, thats 4 of the top of my head and soon im sure a C65 and M65 etc....and Bmw have The E60 M5 at 500 now.... so do Audi with the RS6 at like 400 +
What happens to the tuners?? What do they do...do they focus more on specialization and customization such as the Hamann Laguna Seca 2 and more off the Bhp and performance angle...
Just a thought for discussion....... :)

there will always be a market for them, even more powerful more exclusive cars.. Even if they don't touch the engine they can sell bodykits (tastefull ones like only germans do), custom interiors and such. And put their name on it for exclusvity :wink:

there will be cars with 700-900 hp from these tuners, its the way things progress.

Yep. There's TONS of tuners for the Viper which has 500 HP & 500 lb-ft torque. Tuners will just make cars more powerful and faster. I don't think many will venture into supercars though.

It's a bit scary though.

A 600 hp Mercedes really is overkill already. Do we really need an 800hp Mercedes? I love fast cars, but that's just a bit overkill, isn't it?

I had a ride in a 2004 Dodge Viper being driven by a pro-race driver last weekend and I can not imagine the use of having more than 500HP, 500 ft.-lb torque. The Viper was absolutely unreal! :shock:

... For racing I can see the point, but on the street, more than that would just be madness.

.....I agree absolutely about the overkill. My girlfriend's brother had an '01 Lightning, which has 285 HP at the rear wheels....and I can't see why you need any more than that. Once you get to that stage, more HP is only good for bragging rights - there's no need for it.

There are a lot of people who like to have fast road cars so they can street race, especially people in my area - I also agree that too much BHP is overkill and dangerous for those who push it too far, and lets look at the realistic side of things - the insurance costs would be through the sunroof (pun intended)

SiR_dude said:
.....I agree absolutely about the overkill. My girlfriend's brother had an '01 Lightning, which has 285 HP at the rear wheels....and I can't see why you need any more than that. Once you get to that stage, more HP is only good for bragging rights - there's no need for it.

exactly.. and the performance doesn't increase much since you can't get all that power to the ground

From my experience I think about 300 wheel horsepower would be about perfect... maybe as high as 350, but 300 at the wheels is plenty for a regular driver. It's enough that you can suck yourself back in your seat or have a little fun every now and then, but it's not going to get in the way on a normal drive.

300 wheel horsepower out of a turbocharged inline-6 - that would be my ideal engine. :mrgreen:

I'd care more about driveability than insane power.

But there's always that part of me that wants something stupid, something that shoves my head to the seat and won't let me get back up until I let off the gas.

I don't know where you would draw the line but I always found horsepower very useful when passing on a two lane road.
I almost would consider having horsepower somewhat of a safety feature :D .
I have gotten used to the power of a car fairly quickly (so far), and I can't imagine going back to a car with less power :) .

Well i'm new here..thank god for people who watch this...

Well one thing is the CL65 is a pretty heavy car..the weight to power for the CL600 is bout 9 pounds per horsepower..the Ferrari 612 was about 7...but still owning a car with that power is gloating wise

Tuners will still be in business, true most work will be body kits and other cosmetic works, there will be a few tuning with the engine. Even if its just ECU?s and sort, changing the power curves, it still gives you a little edge next to the other guy.
Also, some people might look at aftermarket for other parts to make there better in places the mfg is lacking (suspension, transmission, and etc).

There is a guy over at the ClubB5 site, owns an E55 AMG that has had the Motor totally redone by Kleemann, and that thing screams.

Getting power to the ground is not that bad, i mean in the case of the CL 65, wider rears, and maybe dry weather (it looked wet the day of that test) would have worked. But then again, in a case like that.. Sometimes its better to have the engine in the back (or mid) so its not just a trunk back there.
The Jag which has 300hp (dont know whats the wheel hp number) seems a good deal, but i could do with more :lol: I just came back from Davis on 80, and the power comes in so handy to pass cars as if they where standing still.

Renesis said:
SiR_dude said:

exactly.. and the performance doesn't increase much since you can't get all that power to the ground
Why do you think the Viper has 13" wide rear tires? :twisted: