What has to happen for TG to improve?

I'd like to strongly second points 6, 7(a fucking Citroen:lol:), and 9. Thanks, shellygrrl!

And tone 76, guests with a real enthusiasm about cars, not just someone who's flogging product. Brian Johnson (sp?) from AC/DC won me over with his love of cars, I wasn't expecting to like him at all in the beginning.

Last edited:
Brian Johnson (sp?) from AC/DC won me over with his love of cars, I wasn't expecting to like him at all in the beginning.

Brian is a classic example of the SIARPC TG needs. He was one of the first names to spring to mind when I made the comment about SIARPC being an ad-free zone, as well as Jay Kay, Jay Leno and Jennifer Saunders.

SIARPC is the least of my worries. I usually FFWD through that anyway.

1. Give James a bit more screen time. He's come out of his shell at least a few times, it'd be nice to see that a bit more often.

2. Do a road test of some cars that people are showing interest in, and do it in an area other than the track--though I love power tests, it would be nice to see Jeremy, Richard, or James drive something on the public roads.

3. Lengthen the news section a little bit, and attack the eco-nutcases more often, they're getting louder.

There's no magic solution. There's no shiny mysterious key that will unlock television nirvana. TG will improve if they make better episodes, and while I guess that having more time to edit and write would likely improve things, that's only a wild stab in the wind.

I do kinda want more Jeremy and James segments, they seem to work very well.

I agree the Fiat Panda test was quite frankly amazing.

Although I don't agree with the changing 2 series into one, because I like having Top Gear twice a year especially now that 5th gear is gone.

I strongly agree that TG live is slowly eating the boys. I mean just the changing of time zones is enough to knacker most people but to then perform a scripted show 5 times in a row is I think that is simply too much.

I agree with lengthening The News and this might be unpopular but I don't really car if it's car news - unless it's something we just have to know - because some of the funniest moments have come from The News. I'm not one of the people who wants it to be more an entertainment show or anything and I love cars but I think that just becuse there isn't a particular lot of car news one week that shouldn't mean that The News gets shortened.

Personally I love the crap challenges and trips. I don't necessarily think a supercar makes a better film than a one pound Volvo.

I think it just comes down to the guys though, they're tired, they're packing stuff in like mad, and I get the feeling that Jeremy is thinking of retiring at a point in the not-so-distant future.

Does anyone have an address for Richard Porter? He's the script editor and may be able to get some of the ideas across. It's another voice apart from Clarkson and Wilman.

I know he writes for evo as well, but apart from that I know little about him

Does anyone have an address for Richard Porter? He's the script editor and may be able to get some of the ideas across. It's another voice apart from Clarkson and Wilman.

I know he writes for evo as well, but apart from that I know little about him

If all else fails, you can attempt to reach him at www.sniffpetrol.com.

1. Road tests without the stupid new sarcasm where you have to blow something up, in the quest of making it 'interesting', which it doesn't.
2. TG3 are currently playing their characters and have stopped being themselves. Stop it.
3. Less cocking about.
4. News about cars!
5. Stop making fun of the Cool Wall and Power Board.
6. Stop pulling old jokes.
7. Did I mention more road tests?
8. STOP FUCKING ABOUT WHILE RECORDING THE INTRO, JEREMY, IT ISN'T FUNNY WHEN YOU DO A STUPID VOICE.
9. Road... tests...?
10. Make films/reviews shorter so we as viewers don't end up with just 1 stupidly long film in each episode.

</rant>

Scale back on the *really* pointless challenges. For example, the airport vehicle race. It really had no relevance and just left me baffled. Not to mention you've already done this with buses and motorhomes. Come to think, perhaps it's time to put some of the other running gags to bed too. I'm sure there's more material out there to be mined.

Trust your presenters. Reign in the scripting and just let them be themselves. The best stuff always happens when they are so why force it?

Stop characterizing them. Their dynamic provides enough comedy gold as it is without you having to rely on schtick. Plus it's kind of insulting.

More road as opposed to track reviews. Nothing's better than watching one against the backdrop of a beautiful countryside lane.

More Cool Wall. We don't see it nearly enough.

Outtakes. Maybe show a few brief episode centric ones as the credits roll. I'd be all over that.

Last edited:
James needs to be caught in compromising situations with women, so that they can use the James Bond quote "oh James". :p

1. No more SIARPC. I can only remember two or three good ones the last two or three years.

2. Some trips on Germanys Autobahns - before government introduces speed limits.

3. More travelling around the globe. Presenting car culture in other counries. I know its expensive, but it's worth the money.

4. Less comic-character-play of the TG3.

5. Less predictible Test-Results. It's either first praise, praise, praise and the result negative, or criticism, criticism, criticism and in the end there is *suprise* a reason, why to love the car.

6. No timed laps on a wet track. Find a solution. Car magazines can make it work, so do you.

Despite those little suggestions to improve the show, TG is still the best auto show in the world by far and I will never stop watching it - no matter what they will do in the future.

More James May being informative and not being shut down by the other two. ... [Hard time seeing this happen since it's Clarksons show.] I wouldnt mind a history lesson or engineering facts every so often.

Totally agree. Some of my favourite episodes are when May is reviewing an old classics such as his review of the Gullwing, Lagonda, TR6, XJ-S, etc.

However I feel that Top Gear has jumped the shark and should be cancelled. There is no way they are going to go back to the car show that they started off as. That would kill the entertainment value and in today's reality show obsessed society that would kill ratings. Instead the BBC will milk the show for as long as they can until it gets utterly ridiculous and boring, season 14 comes pretty close.

1. An entire series of only SIARPC's without anything else.

2. An entire series filmed only in the UK with an isolationist attitude.

first time poster, long time listener

i think with one simple change the entire show would get 1000 times better.

when they arrived at a location they used to sit around and drink and talk about their cars.
now all they do ruin each others cars.
thats it.

i like jermey's road test of small cars a lot.

One thing: more time for the guys to think it through and make it.