What is "Double (D) Clutching"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And before you do that, send the engine to me, I want to make a table out of it :D

I already have some cheap parts from ebay

Jostyrostelli said:
And before you do that, send the engine to me, I want to make a table out of it :D

I already have some cheap parts from ebay

Just remember it is a 2.2L I4...lol. A whole 95 HP at the crank...lol

Mischief007 said:
I've always been afraid to try clutchless shifting. Maybe when I get rid of the car, I'll kill it and leave it to the junkyard...:)...lol
Ya, I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to practice clutchless shifting. :? It seems like it would be quite an expensive thing to practice. :p

zenon said:
I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to practice clutchless shifting

why would you want to do clutchless shifting in the first place... you'll just screw up your gear-box, I've only seen clutchless shifting done on motorcycles :lol:

heel and toe is done only under braking...

andyhui01 said:
zenon said:
I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to practice clutchless shifting

why would you want to do clutchless shifting in the first place... you'll just screw up your gear-box, I've only seen clutchless shifting done on motorcycles :lol:
You would want to do clutchless shifting because it is incredibly fast. One of my friend's Dad can shift without the clutch in just about any car. The very first time he ever drove my friend's 240SX he shifted through all five gears without using the clutch once. :shock: It's pretty risky, but if you are that good at it, it makes a huge difference on the track or dragstrip.

zenon said:
One of my friend's Dad can shift without the clutch in just about any car.
Was just about to say that my dad could do it :)
he'd learnt it during his military servioce
Not sure I'd wanna do it though :)

There is nothing to know about clutchless shifting really. Try not to apply torgue (positive or negative) to wheels and gear will come out fairly easy. But I find it pretty hard when engine is reving high. Now while you're in neutral, match revs (that's the hard part) for the gear you want, and move the stick, hoping gearbox will not grenade. Basicly if you want higher gear, you need less revs than in lower. You have to know exactly how much, 'couse there is nothing to smooth it out for you.

Upshifts usually take a little force and timing.

To downshift you can either blip very precisely and cram the gear in, or you can feel it in. I must point out that feeling the gear in is slightly harder if you have a wire shift linkage over a rod setup.

To feel it in all you do is pull it out of gear, blip, and as you blip apply slight pressure to the next gear slot, when the revs match it'll get sucked into gear. If you use too much force you'll get crunch.

I crunched a few times when i was learning, but your cars gearbox can usually take quite a beating (the synchro's get a good workout anyway.. a couple of crunches won't do much more damage). Of course, you could be really unlucky... try at your own risk, really.

If the synchro's are already worn and your box crunches anyway, clutchless shifting actually minimises any more damage you could be doing. That's primarily why i used to do it. That and to impress passengers... :p

hehe yeah so do it by the time you need a new gearbox...
better yet, do it by the time you need a new car :p

My mate had an old 80's volvo that he used to thrash in "original" ways ;)

Anyway, one day he said "look at this! I can change gear without using the clutch!"...neither of us thought that it was actually good for the gearbox! :lol:

Pretty much, he only did it on upshift and did it at the right speed so that he didnt have to put his foot on the accelerator.

And one night when he was driving me home drunk (I was drunk, he was sober) I managed to convince him to try starting the car from 0 km/h without using the clutch and just forcing the gear into 1st....it worked too! 8)

I was chatting to my dad about this last night, he threatened to kill me if I try it on the car I share with my mum!

Also, if you think about it the clutch won't be harmed at all really, it'll just mash the gearbox.

I still don't see the point in clutchless gear changes - how slow are your changes with the clutch anyway?! The clutch is a nice soft barrier to protect your gearbox, and because of its "flexibility" it acts like an airbag to your gearbox, spreading forces resulting from differing shaft speeds over a logner time, reducing wear. If you use it correctly, your changes should actually be quicker with the clutch.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.