What is the best car in the world?

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Here's the challenge: what is the best all-around car out there? I figure it should be a 4-door sedan or 5-door wagon so you can perform your family/adult duties. It should also be reliable and easy to work on in your driveway or parking lot (and parts should be cheap and easily available at the local auto parts store). At the same time, it should be fun because we're all petrolheads here. It should be attainable too - we all want a CTS-V Wagon but let's face it, that's out of reach for most people (hell, the maintenance alone is out of reach for most people!).

A few years ago when I posed this question to a friend he suggested the Integra GSR sedan - practical, reliable, affordable, good gas mileage, yet with a screaming B18 motor, limited-slip diff, and great handling. I reckon we can come up with other options (Subarus jump to mind immediately).

Lastly, we should probably expand this to cover all time periods and geographical markets. The venerable Model T is a contender, as is the 55 Chevy.

Other ideas?

I say there's no way the people on both sides of the Atlantic agree on this one. And then there's the Australians who will bring the whole thing upside down. :p

My idea is the VW Passat Variant of the mid-90s (B4 generation). Reliable (at least in Europe :p), simple 4-cyl engines, super spacious yet reasonably compact, and still fun to drive because it was faster than you'd expect. Of course just about every BMW (to only name one) is better to drive, but let's face it, driving pleasure takes a backseat when it comes to naming the best overall car.
Today, most family cars are better in just about every way except in how much inside space they offer despite being bigger on the outside. The modern-day equivalent would probably be either the current Passat or the current Ford Mondeo. I still nominate the old Passat because 1. the requirement of being easy to work on eliminates every modern car and 2. it was just so much better in the core discipline of practicality than its competetors...

I can see this thread ending in WW3 , I really can :p

Ford F-150.

An all-arounder with space for the family, good power, decent fuel economy, can move people as well as things, can tow stuff, cheap parts bin, and is fun to drive? Crew-cab F150 Raptor.

Last edited:
Many new cars are still easy to work on, I think. Maybe not an Audi with trick electronics everywhere and no space for your hand to reach anything but most American and Japanese cars shouldn't be too bad.

Ford F-150.
That did come to mind as the jack of all trades but it's not my kind of "fun" really.

Dodge Charger Hellcat. Or even "just" the SRT 392.

Specifically, electronics everywhere.

Yes. Which means you need to get the tools and skills to fix it. Just like you needed the tools and skills to make your own replacement parts 100 years ago.

I will just leave these here. :D

1993-Buick-Roadmaster-Estate.jpg

Last edited:
Dodge Charger Hellcat. Or even "just" the SRT 392.

Wouldn't call the Hellcat affordable, the 392 barely. Yes, they offer a lot for the money but 47k for the 392 before options isn't affordable, even less so with years and years of financing. Just my opinion

The differences in cars make them interesting, so trying to even out the best car that does everything well will probably result in a blob that stands out in nothing. That's probably why you have to deal with a lot of shitty characteristics in some of the most fun cars, because you have to give and take.

That said, one of the best all-rounders is probably the 4DSC Maxima with a stick.

The best everyday car being built today is probably the Mazda6. It's fuel-efficient, fun to drive, comfortable, large enough for hauling four full-sized people, and even looks pretty good. It's just a shame that Americans can't get the wagon anymore.

If I had to pick the best available all rounder I would pick the Skoda Superb wagon with AWD and the most powerful diesel they offer. Most independent reviewers say it has the best ride this side of a RR Phantom and it scores a minimum of 8.5/10 in all categories. DSG gearbox aside it probably ticks the most boxes of any car currently on sale here; equipment, ride, handling, comfort, economy, power/torque, refinement.

VW emissions scandal aside nothing else offers so much for such a reasonable price. Unless you are a total badge snob it makes more sense than anything else with five seats.

Wouldn't call the Hellcat affordable, the 392 barely. Yes, they offer a lot for the money but 47k for the 392 before options isn't affordable, even less so with years and years of financing. Just my opinion
Fair point. Give the 392 a few years on the used market though ;)

I always thought that the best cars are the small european luxury cars. So you chose between the BMW 3 series, Mercedes C-Klasse, the Audi A4, Volvo S/V60 and the new Jaguar XE. I pick an AWD wagon version... probably a V60 Polestar or V60 Cross Country T6.

probably an M3, which gen is debatable, but an M3