What is the next '57 Chevy?

GM B-Body? Wouldn't that cover enough vehicles in the GM multi-headed monster conglomerate to replace the 57 Chevy?

GM B-Body? Wouldn't that cover enough vehicles in the GM multi-headed monster conglomerate to replace the 57 Chevy?

Was there a large Honda Civic like tuner/wannabe tuner community attached to them? No.

I feel like the Honda tuner came about when Fast and Furious started.

I would point out that the 57 chevy never was a common car over here in Europe, yet it still has the same classic status over here.

I would think that the next chevy would have to look good, probably a fairly common looking car right now but a very good representative of the decade. The same way a 57 chevy is like a poster child of everything a 50's car is. Also the next chevy could have to be versatile as a platform so that various ways of building it is possible just like the 57. It would have to be a common enough car for most people(in certain parts of the world at least) to have one, and people in other parts of the world to want to own one.

Problem is, even in the 80s-current, there hasn't been a single model that goes from coupe, sedan, to convertible. Every manufacturer at least in the USA has separate distinct models for those categories.

Problem is, even in the 80s-current, there hasn't been a single model that goes from coupe, sedan, to convertible. Every manufacturer at least in the USA has separate distinct models for those categories.

G-Body? Fox-Body?

Well, e30 didn't come in coupe form, but there was a 2d sedan. :p And even two variants of convertible(ish). And most importantly, touring as well! :p

Chrysler Sebring / 200 :p

Camry did if you include the Solara and the wagon. I don't know if they offered all of them concurrently for any stretch of time but they definitely had all body styles you mentioned represented in that timeframe.

Yeah but, do you want to restore a Camry?

Well, e30 didn't come in coupe form, but there was a 2d sedan. :p
Finally someone that agrees with me. :p

Then again, is a "Mustang Coup?" a coup? or a 2 door sedan? In my mind, a coup? is something like the Mustang Fastback.

The Mustang was born out of the muscle car, or more correctly the pony car era. These cars were some of the first cars considered to be smaller and sportier, while still being somewhat practical. Think of a fat 3er with a big engine and you're close. Muscle cars were technically larger still, with less of an emphasis on small and agile.

Yeah but, do you want to restore a Camry?

The original Ford Falcon, the car designed by a statistician, is restored by people. Yes, the Mustang was based on the platform, but the car was milquetoast.

Finally someone that agrees with me. :p

Then again, is a "Mustang Coup?" a coup? or a 2 door sedan? In my mind, a coup? is something like the Mustang Fastback.

Two doors and a roof is what makes a car a coup, despite what some marketing departments may say.

The Chevy Nova is much like the Falcon. Designed to be a low end car that was then later used as a platform for other more beloved vehicles (Camaros and Firebirds/TAs). Yet there is still a following for the Nova too.

I don't think there is a next '57 Chevy. Back in the 50s cars were styled as rolling art, today they are styled by government collision standards, government economy standards, government pedestrian safety standards. It's all CAD and virtual fluid dynamic testing, the art of the body styling is pretty much gone for the average consumer.

Reactions: TC
I'd wager '90s Honda Civics.

I'd say that the fifth generation Honda Civic

There's nothing sexy about a civic. Unlike with a 57 Chevy, someone who's completely car illiterate doesn't go "Oooooo" when a civic drives by. Obviously you people have absolutely no idea what it even means to be a car enthusiast if you think a friggin civic would ever take the torch from a 57 Chevy.

You don't realized that back in the 1957 the '57 Chevy was seen as just a facelifted model of a 2 years old body (much too old for the era of Planned Obsolescence), as well as being too tall and stubby, do you? In 1957 '57 Chevy was outclassed in both styling department and sales by '57 Ford. Which was seen as a more modern, sleeker design, and was even more ubiquitous having been sold better. But does anybody even remember the '57 Ford?