What is the point of a 2 door SUV?

snoclear winter :p

You could call it Heat Death

:tumbleweed:

Not many people in North America do, but in britan that's quite a common off-roader. Granted the new ones are probably pampered a bit more, but that gen is a very capable 4x4

I know Range Roonie's have 4 doors, what I mean by that is, who takes those things off road.

A shit load. Originally the Range Rover was designed to compete with the Bronco. Hell carpet was an optional extra for the first few years.

Don't forget the Top Gear Restoration Ripoff with Princess Diana's Range Rover. That was a 2-door, and it was doubtless used as a hunting wagon on the royal estates.

It's sad but the average person seems to think Higher = Safer. These are usually the same people who rely on ABS and Traction control to drive the car for them.

It's not really safety per se as protection from collisions, its more unobstructed visibility so an incompetent driver thinks he/she can see more easily for other cars.

It's no coincidence a higher proportion of nicer SUVs and mini SUVs are driven by females vs men, because many women or young girl's parents will buy them in the belief it leads to greater safety.

And with this belief it creates sort of a height arms race on the road so those who don't 'height up' get their views blocked front, rear and sides with higher vehicles. I can't count how many times I can't safely make a lane change maneuver in busy traffic because I cant see what the hell is in front/behind me because of being boxed in by taller vehicles.

Narf: the reason you like low vehicles has absolutely nothing to do with others like tall vehicles.

One more:

[video=youtube;uRVcz7pTD-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRVcz7pTD-w&NR=1[/video]

Last edited:
I'd also like to list the number of mods required to take the Range Rover off roading as seen in Spectre's video.

Off road tires.

End List.

With the exception of the Wrangler, Jeeps require modifications to match a stock Disco or Range Rover.

And here are some new ones from the factory stock.

[video=youtube;K_v_1hu-Fuo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_v_1hu-Fuo[/video]

Last edited:
Could it be that Land/Ranger Rovers already had those modifications preformed by the factory, hence the substantially higher MSRP?

In my experience, gears, lockers, and tires can make or break a 4WD offroad. Suspension articulation is another one, but lockers can overcome alot of obstacles, but not all.

Last edited:
Is it really 'modification' when they were designed to do that from day one? :p

Is it really 'modification' when they were designed to do that from day one? :p

Exactly. Why buy a Grand Cherokee and pay just as much if not more than a Disco to install all the modifications that the LR already has stock?

Discos and Range Rovers have more than just lockers. Their frame is solid (not unibody) and they have strong suspension components among other things.

Last edited:
Well, the thing I've noticed is that anything you do to a 4WD to make it better offroad, will almost always make it worse on road, and vise versa. And since car companies have to make their vehicles legal for onroad driving, it's usually the offroad stuff that gets sacrificed. It's like the Tacomas we get, compared to the Hilux most other countries get. Toyota built the Tacoma on the that weaker frame in order to make it more comfortable onroad. Meanwhile Land/Range Rover can install those trick suspension systems with different settings to accomplish both, but increase the MSRP dramatically. It's tough to get the best of both worlds, unless you pay out the ass for the tech.

Also, if you don't have solid axles, you don't have shit.

Just kidding, but not really. :p

Exactly. Why buy a Grand Cherokee and pay just as much if not more than a Disco to install all the modifications that the LR already has stock?

Because it doesn't come with Lucas and AirFail Suspension? :D

And with this belief it creates sort of a height arms race on the road so those who don't 'height up' get their views blocked front, rear and sides with higher vehicles. I can't count how many times I can't safely make a lane change maneuver in busy traffic because I cant see what the hell is in front/behind me because of being boxed in by taller vehicles.

So the fact that you can't see out of your tincan is somebody elses fault?
If you want to drive a low car that is fine, just don't whine when other people don't 'and you can't see' (wich as a statement is utter bullshit and a sure indicator of a bad driver anyway)
You're like a guy going to the artic in shorts and flipflops who then starts complaining that it's cold.....

Cars on average are moving towards higher at the moment, even small ones, maybee on average they will stay that way, maybee the will go back down again when the SUV fab is over (luxury 'womans' SUV's beeing something I am not a fan of either btw), maybee we will all be driving unicorns in the future.
Either accept the fact that the market and trafficconditions are the way they are, or stay of the damn road.....

Last edited:
Well, the thing I've noticed is that anything you do to a 4WD to make it better offroad, will almost always make it worse on road, and vise versa. And since car companies have to make their vehicles legal for onroad driving, it's usually the offroad stuff that gets sacrificed. It's like the Tacomas we get, compared to the Hilux most other countries get. Toyota built the Tacoma on the that weaker frame in order to make it more comfortable onroad. Meanwhile Land/Range Rover can install those trick suspension systems with different settings to accomplish both, but increase the MSRP dramatically. It's tough to get the best of both worlds, unless you pay out the ass for the tech.

Also, if you don't have solid axles, you don't have shit.

Just kidding, but not really. :p

Heh my Disco does have solid axles, front and back. :p My car has compromised on-road performance (no anti roll bar for instance). Air suspension and a hybrid chassis fixes the on road issues for their new trucks while keeping them competent off road.

A fully loaded Grand Cherokee in the US isn't much cheaper than a base model Disco which has better luxury and off road performance. In Europe the Diesel is much more competitive with the GC.

Because it doesn't come with Lucas and AirFail Suspension? :D

Jeep has moved to AirFail too. :p

Last edited:
Heh my Disco does have solid axles, front and back. :p My car has compromised on-road performance (no anti roll bar for instance). Air suspension and a hybrid chassis fixes the on road issues for their new trucks while keeping them competent off road.

A fully loaded Grand Cherokee in the US isn't much cheaper than a base model Disco which has better luxury and off road performance. In Europe the Diesel is much more competitive with the GC.

True, but what about used models? BerserkerCatSplat bought his GC for $500. :lol: But yeah, brand spanking new is a different story. Although I imagine with incentives, rebates, etc, you can get a new GC for far under MSRP. Not sure if Land Rover can match those discounts.

You forget that LRs depreciate like a rock. :p