What is the point of a 2 door SUV?

Heh, the 2-door SUV came before the 4-door one. Dad's Blazer was a 2-door. It was a pain in the arse to get in and out of that backseat, too. Dude, if you're going to choose between one two-door (the Corvette) and another two-door (that @$^! Blazer) because you're having a kid, you should've gone with the one that fit more when your dang kid's interests, haha. Obviously that wouldn't have been the truck (unless he went out and bought a dang racecar to tow with it!). Sure, the Blazer had a backseat, but it sucked climbing in and out of there.

When four-door SUVs came out, there was much rejoicing in the house. Well, sort of. I still think ditching it for another Corvette would've been the wiser decision. :p

My parents liked to ski--I didn't. I fall on my butt and would rather stay in where it's warm or make a snowman. So, they wanted a 4x4. 2-door SUVs make sense if you don't frequently use the backseat or if you're looking at classic trucks where you don't have any other options.

What doesn't make sense at all to me = 2-wheel-drive trucks. I guess that's how you separate the soccer moms and compensating poseurs from the people who actually need a damn truck.

I guess the sitting up high for better visibility thing makes a little bit of sense, but whatever gains in visibility to me are completely negated by the fact that I'm a zillion miles up in the air. I like the cornering abilities of being much closer to the ground, thankyouverymuch.

Last edited:
The point of 2WD trucks is to be cheap cargo haulers. Much beloved of college students and fleets, actually.

The point of 2WD trucks is to be cheap cargo haulers. Much beloved of college students and fleets, actually.
That makes sense, but oy. All I can think of is the goofy lifted 2WD thing at BU with "MOVE OVER" written as a mirror image across the front windshield.

That truck was all that was douche.

prizrak: NYC streets appear to match light offroading in terms of stress on the wheels
Very much so, mine are holding up fairly well though, that was the first time I actually bent my rim and it was only because I hit it at a fairly high rate of speed.
Also, I believe there are shops that can straighten rims that have minor bends.
Yes there are plenty, the place I went to to get the tire mounted and balanced does it. Since I got cheap rims it costs almost as much to fix one as it does to buy a new one.
What doesn't make sense at all to me = 2-wheel-drive trucks. I guess that's how you separate the soccer moms and compensating poseurs from the people who actually need a damn truck.
What Spectre said. Also keep in mind that you don't need 4WD for towing or cargo hauling duty. Also considering the ground clearance 2WD trucks can get through fairly rough roads :)

Last edited:
What Spectre said. Also keep in mind that you don't need 4WD for towing or cargo hauling duty. Also considering the ground clearance 2WD trucks can get through fairly rough roads :)
That makes sense.

I think I'm just tired of all the "yee haw, I'm a big manly country boy!" nonsense when the truck never leaves pavement and the roughest place it'll ever go is a college parking lot. :lol:

- obviously not a fan

Hate the owner not the ride.

That makes sense, but oy. All I can think of is the goofy lifted 2WD thing at BU with "MOVE OVER" written as a mirror image across the front windshield.

That truck was all that was douche.

I've seen Camaros, Corvettes, BMWs and Mercedes with that windshield banner. It's not a truck-thing, it's an I'm-a-douche-thing.

That makes sense.

I think I'm just tired of all the "yee haw, I'm a big manly country boy!" nonsense when the truck never leaves pavement and the roughest place it'll ever go is a college parking lot. :lol:

- obviously not a fan
You should come to my alma mater then, the roads are beyond terrible (upstate NY so very cold winters with lots of snow = hell on the roads)

That makes sense.

- obviously not a fan

So, asking out of curiosity, are you going to allow your intellect and brainpower to overcome a completely mistaken impression, or are you going to ignore facts in order to hold tightly to a misplaced negative opinion? 2WD trucks have been the mainstay of fleets and campers and contractors, and the like that have no need for fuel robbing 4 wheel drive, but still need/want to use a truck.

2344852270_be4f8dd3a3.jpg

1976-security-camper-and-1981-ford-f150-lariat-5000-oregon-21316362.jpg

5040fck_27.jpeg

And of course, 2wd trucks make for great hot rods, too.

-293142705872078020.jpg

-347443004408521330.jpg

RWD trucks have long been a staple of the delivery-oriented business. They can carry a ton of stuff, have a nice low bed height for easy loading, are durable, and have a good enough motor to move around whatever you can pile in the back.

Trucks don't need to go off road to be trucks. The point of a truck is to haul, and you don't need 4WD to do that.

So, asking out of curiosity, are you going to allow your intellect and brainpower to overcome a completely mistaken impression, or are you going to ignore facts in order to hold tightly to a misplaced negative opinion? 2WD trucks have been the mainstay of fleets and campers and contractors, and the like that have no need for fuel robbing 4 wheel drive, but still need/want to use a truck.

2344852270_be4f8dd3a3.jpg

Who needs a 2WD pickup to deliver pizzas?

060323_largestPizza_hmed.grid-6x2.jpg

Oh come on like you didn't expect it. :p

I agree it's unnecessary though for normal pizzas.

maybe they deliver to rural areas with no good fully built up road network D:

Or fleets of S10's were dirt cheap and seemed like a better investment than a bunch of Cavaliers.

Last edited:
nah, i just meant dirt roads, not real offroad terrain, you dont need more than 2wd for that, just good ground clearance

Not that I'm a fan of them for personal use, small trucks make much more sense for business and utility use. Just dropping stuff into the bed is more convenient than having to open a door or boot of a car. Small trucks are much simpler and cheaper to maintain than other cars, as well. Having the ability to tow a small load doesn't hurt, either.

I can't believe I made a rational argument for a small truck. I must be mad. :p

There's little room in the cab, and pizzas in the bed would get wet and cold.

Still seats 3 people. 1 driver and a lot of pizzas could fit inside just fine. And it looks like they have plenty of delivery guys/girls, so I doubt any one of them will have to deliver a thousand pies in one run.

S10s were cheaper and sturdier than any equivalent econobox. Got about equivalent gas mileage too, if you got them with the four banger. And when the pizza guy rams it into the curb because he's running late, it either doesn't care or it's cheaper to repair. No front drive axles, you see. Pizza delivery outfits have horrendous levels of abuse heaped on company-owned vehicles.

Still seats 3 people. 1 driver and a lot of pizzas could fit inside just fine. And it looks like they have plenty of delivery guys/girls, so I doubt any one of them will have to deliver a thousand pies in one run.

And if they did, a roll-up tonneau cover and the normal insulated carry packs the drivers use would solve that problem for negligible money. Plus those S10s were stupid cheap to insure.

Last edited: