What is Top Gear's problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walter Goldsworthy said:
I think we have found out that JC is masquerading on these boards under the name of 'BlaRo', he is unable to fault what I have said so resorts to pretty insults. Those kind of posts are not welcome here thank you, that attitude is not acceptable at all.
you are right!! and renesis is teh stig, and some other guy here is richard hammond!!

Most of you are probably too young to remember but Top Gear used to be a great programme.

you are right again!! top gear used to be a great programme, now it's even better!!! and what proves that is the rating that has soared since TG has become what it is today.
and may i remind you once more that you can watch 5th gear if that's the sort of stuff you want.

what you're doing is going on a flight to australia, when you need to get to new york. so instead of getting off the flight and getting the right one, you want to make the plane to AU go to NY. fact is everyone on the flight to AU wants to get to AU, and just because some anonymous guy caught the wrong plane, doesn't mean the plane will change it's course.

the Interceptor said:
Walter Goldsworthy said:
It's a shame then that people can't make criticisms without getting attacked and others yelling for the thread to be closed. Do you not understand the idea of discussion or is it that I have awoken you to the reality?
Of course you can make criticisms, but having a discussion is kind of pointless if the only opinion you accept is yours, and you obviously don't want to understand that some people might think differently.

Regards
the Interceptor
Exactly, I suddenly feel the urge to support Clarkson, I think I'll go buy one of his books. :lol:

This whole thread gets the Hoff.

HoffSurfing1.gif

What's a good car? All you care about are numbers and for numbers toyota's are fantastic! And for most people they're fine, but for real petrol heads they about as interesting as well a sheet of numbers.

What is more intresting, the fact that the Veyron can go from 0-200mph quicker than the McF1 can go from 120-200mph or hearing Clarkson scream power for the 100th time?

Yes of course opinions and saying what the car 'feels' like are important but Clarkson is just very bad at doing this. He uses stupid metaphors that don't make sense and most annoyingly he changes his mind on average 3 times.

-Notice how many review start off with him saying how great the car is technically, then pointing out major flaws, then saying despite/because of these flaws it is still great. I highly doubt he even drives the cars for a long time, he just reckons that using this formula he has covered all angles.

'osabros', TG's remit is to be a light hearted motoring show, it is they who have got on the wrong plane as you put it. Every single episode just gets more and more silly. I mean playing darts with cars, what is this achieving?

"I am just very dissapointed at the direction it has taken and am saying what needs to be done to fix it"

maybe I did not convey the point to you

AM I BLOODY BOOVVVVVED? :woot:

go back to your commy green tree huggers friends... the use of absolutes like "everyone" is so much New Labour. Who named you the custodian of the "values" of Top Gear? if TG is rubbish the BBC would pull the plug as it happened in the past. TG is at its peak of success because JC writes it (and the wonderful team he has around).

Whatever you are trying to sell here you wont find any buyer

Reading your post I cannot smell petrol... but something else :yucky:

go to the Guardian blogs... you will find great comrades there to bitch about JC and the format you hate so much and you will definitely feel better

AM

Walter Goldsworthy said:
'osabros', TG's remit is to be a light hearted motoring show, it is they who have got on the wrong plane as you put it. Every single episode just gets more and more silly. I mean playing darts with cars, what is this achieving?

Let's see. I laughed at it, therefore I was amused and entertained. That's kinda the point, isn't it? Few people watch Top Gear for pertinent reviews - hell, half the cars they review we don't even get in North America. Top Gear is pure entertainment, and I'm willing to treat it as such.

another do-gooder.... jesus :roll:

What really bothers me is that there are people that think like you confusing information with entertainment. You want information buy the TG magazine, you want fun enjoy TG on BBC.

What is scary is YOUR will to fix thing for US...

Heil freedom :(

Walter Goldsworthy said:
If you're not bothered don't reply. ;)
I personally am bothered and am doing what is needed to fix things.
Yes, you mailed the BBC and explained how horrible Top Gear is as they obviously haven't been bothered to keep tabs on it, but that doesn't explain why you've come here. :|

Walter Goldsworthy said:
If you're not bothered don't reply. ;)
I personally am bothered and am doing what is needed to fix things.
You really are an ignorant tw*t aren't you. Why does Top Gear need fixing? You say Top Gear is a public service and is not fulfilling this purpose. Well surely it gives this service to the 6m UK viewers who tune in every week and the 250m who watch it world wide.
I don't think anyone here takes Clarksons views as "gospel" as he is a presenter first, motor journalist second. His job is to make good telly which he does week in week out.
I also find it hilarious that you think you can make the BBC change Top Gear all by yourself and how you also think you speak for "everyone".
Now run away and stir shit in someone elses forum.

Re: What is Top Gear's problem?

Walter Goldsworthy said:
...Why do they feel the public wants to know about the boot space on a car about 5 people in the country can afford. Would it not be a better public service to give us information and their views on cars people are actually going to buy?...

Well, the thing is. Sometimes they review cars that only 5 people in the world can buy. Is it a bad thing? Noooo.

The way I see it, its great that there is a programe where you can watch supercars in action, because for most people (me including) that might be the only place to see thing like The Veiron or The Zonda. Its like movies, they show stuff that odinary people cant see and might never will se or feel through treyr entire lives.

Show cars that ordinary people can buy? Its nice and would give informations to 80% of people which actualy can aford cars like a Golf, Civic... (get my point). But the information about those cars I can get anywhere on net or even better, go for a drive or borow one from my friend because there are plenty of my friends and naboughr who have Golfs and Civics.

If it worent for Top Gear I would never enev knew about the Pagani Zonda and most others.

If you want information, watch Fifth Gear. But for Hollywood, cinematic, camera-work, tire burning, engine grouling exotica - stay with Top Gear.

I hope you got the picture what I'v tryed to write here. :)

Good Luck! :D

Walter Goldsworthy said:
-Notice how many review start off with him saying how great the car is technically, then pointing out major flaws, then saying despite/because of these flaws it is still great. I highly doubt he even drives the cars for a long time, he just reckons that using this formula he has covered all angles.

Look, you're missing the point completely. Take the car reviews with a grain of salt. They're not meant to be taken seriously. Just because Clarkson says that you'll look like a cock in a Porsche Cockster doesn't mean it's the world's worst car ever built. It's not meant to be completely serious; like you pointed out: who's going to take a show seriously when they have a screaming car review one minute then they're firing cars off a cliff in the other?

And that's the point. It's a silly show, from the country that gave us Monty Python and Fawlty Towers, for God's sakes. It's a motoring show, sure, but there are many types of motoring shows: from the boring car review program you wish Top Gear was such as Car and Driver TV (Americans will know that one), to modified car shows like Pimp My Ride, to this. Fun with Motors with Jeremy Clarkson.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to change it.
Watch Fifth Gear; Tiff Needell is awesome. Leave us to our Top Gear with Clarkson screaming around a track sideways like a friggin' Neanderthal running over barn owls or whatever the Guardian is saying this week.

Re: What is Top Gear's problem?

XYZviper said:
Walter Goldsworthy said:
...Why do they feel the public wants to know about the boot space on a car about 5 people in the country can afford. Would it not be a better public service to give us information and their views on cars people are actually going to buy?...

Well, the thing is. Sometimes they review cars that only 5 people in the world can buy. Is it a bad thing? Noooo.

The way I see it, its great that there is a programe where you can watch supercars in action, because for most people (me including) that might be the only place to see thing like The Veiron or The Zonda. Its like movies, they show stuff that odinary people cant see and might never will se or feel through treyr entire lives.

Show cars that ordinary people can buy? Its nice and would give informations to 80% of people which actualy can aford cars like a Golf, Civic... (get my point). But the information about those cars I can get anywhere on net or even better, go for a drive or borow one from my friend because there are plenty of my friends and naboughr who have Golfs and Civics.

If it worent for Top Gear I would never enev knew about the Pagani Zonda and most others.

If you want information, watch Fifth Gear. But for Hollywood, cinematic, camera-work, tire burning, engine grouling exotica - stay with Top Gear.

I hope you got the picture what I'v tryed to write here. :)

Good Luck! :D

What I don't get is that they do review these cars, they just don't spend the whole show doing it. If they were to spend their full hour every week talking about affordable cars they'd run out of cars to talk about in about 3 weeks if they really stretched things. :p

fbc said:
Walter Goldsworthy said:
I have already written a letter to the TG editor and told them exactly what everyone feels so don't be surprised people if your bevolved TG gets changed back to how it used to be

:lmao: :lmao: You sir, are a comic genius :clap:

:lol:

Oh my..

Walter Goldsworthy said:
Firstly 'nomix' I have little doubt that TG will be forced to change its format and remove JC, they are marketing their product as a 'motoring show', the type of thing they are showing at the moment clearly does not fit their remit and unless they heed my reccomendations the show will be dropped....

How will you force them to drop it?? Just curious, an angry letter written with green crayon is probably not too convincing...

Walter Goldsworthy said:
...The BBC DOES have to provide a public service and it's fairly obvious to everyone that they are failing at this.

I buy BBC from my cable operator and perhas you would be able to explain how the following programs provide a public service:

Keeping up appearances
My hero
A qustions of Sport
Garden invaders
Big Strong Boys
Eastenders
Kiss me Kate
etc. etc.

Surely all these shows made by the BBC must therefore end, they are not serving any other purpose than to rpovide entertainment. Holy Mother of crap, how dare they make such proramming for people?

Walter Goldsworthy said:
Yes of course opinions and saying what the car 'feels' like are important but Clarkson is just very bad at doing this. He uses stupid metaphors that don't make sense and most annoyingly he changes his mind on average 3 times.

It's a totally normal reaction for a human being to dislike the things a person does that you also dislike. Ask yourself if you hate what JC says, because you hate him. And if you really don't get his metaphors and what he says about the cars, then hey, it's just not your show.
But it's not like it's the only show on tv, and that you're forced to watch it, is it? If so, just watch other (car) shows, and be happy. But you can't really expect us to be turned around by you coming here, and suddenly dislike a show we have joined this forum for. If you can't understand that some people like this and other people like that, I must ask myself how much you really know about life.

Regards
the Interceptor

Walter Goldsworthy said:
Firstly 'nomix' I have little doubt that TG will be forced to change its format and remove JC, they are marketing their product as a 'motoring show', the type of thing they are showing at the moment clearly does not fit their remit and unless they heed my reccomendations the show will be dropped. The BBC DOES have to provide a public service and it's fairly obvious to everyone that they are failing at this.
I guess the BBC has a duty to provide shows for everyone, even for the minute mass of people who enjoy watching programmes about armadillos. But the fact is, that Top Gear is one of the biggest shows on BBC, when Clarkson took over, it's popularity has risen alot, Top Gear is viewed all over the world by millions. It is also viewed by milions in the UK, which is quite alot. Is that not a public service, providing a programme that many people like?

In Norway, NRK makes a programme about people who live alone in deserted places all around Norway. I hate it. Really, HATE it. But I accept it's there because someone likes it.

'Kaboomn' you might find his abusive statements humourous but you're in the minority, the truth is the majority of people find him deeply offensive. It may seem hilarious at first to laugh at him but when you realise what he is actually saying he just sounds like the old, outdated, discriminatory dinosaur that he is.
Heard of sources? Sources is a town in Katmandu.

I think we have found out that JC is masquerading on these boards under the name of 'BlaRo', he is unable to fault what I have said so resorts to pretty insults. Those kind of posts are not welcome here thank you, that attitude is not acceptable at all.
You feel you have the right to come here, no disrespect meant, with less posts than me, and dictate to a user what he can and cannot write?

Most of you are probably too young to remember but Top Gear used to be a great programme, there would be a reasoned, balance review of the cars with the presenters explaining clearly the pluses and minuses of each. Today all we get is some yob screaming 'POWER' at the top of his voice before declaring that the car doesn't actually have any power at all.
I remember old Top Gear, they road tested a car, some presenter said the car had a nice clock, that it pulled him up a hill in 4th gear with no problems, and that it had a low loading cill. Then the rest of the programme had some charts about pollution and they put in a part about Rally in the end. Yeah, GREAT.

Walter Goldsworthy said:
It's a shame then that people can't make criticisms without getting attacked and others yelling for the thread to be closed. Do you not understand the idea of discussion or is it that I have awoken you to the reality?
You attack everyone here, not to forget you say you represent the majority of the british public, without any sources or anything to back it up.

I'm sorry to say this, but forums work in a peculiar way, people who post like that won't be taken serious, and they will in some way be mocked. It might not be positive, but that's the way every single forum in the world works.

Have a nice day.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
MrT2.jpg

No I'm not the new No Boss

[Foghorn Leghorn]
I say, now, I say sir... a fine gentleman like myself will not tolerate such forms of impersonation and challenge you to a duel. [/Foghorn Leghorn]

ninjaassplotion.gif

...when does the free post party begin?

Mr Walter Goldsworthy- I doubt they will read you letter and take you seriously because, as we thought, you sound like a environmentalist. And no one listens to them. So there.
The views you expressed....WE HAVE ALL HEARD BEFORE. Some others share the view that TG direction has gone wrong, but they have got over it. And who is this 'everyone' you speak of?

No Boss said:
...when does the free post party begin?

Hopefully before this thread gets locked

Status
Not open for further replies.