What is Top Gear's problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walter Goldsworthy said:
I personally am bothered and am doing what is needed to fix things.

Arguing with people that do not work for the BBC, and enjoy Top Gear, on the internet? I plead that you do not run for public office if this is how you intend to fix things.

Evo7 said:
Mr Walter Goldsworthy- I doubt they will read you letter and take you seriously because, as we thought, you sound like a environmentalist. And no one listens to them. So there.
The views you expressed....WE HAVE ALL HEARD BEFORE. Some others share the view that TG direction has gone wrong, but they have got over it. And who is this 'everyone' you speak of?

No Boss said:
...when does the free post party begin?

Hopefully before this thread gets locked

I actually beleive this guy is just trying to get a mention on Top Gear when it returns after the WC. Just like the guy who said they don't feature enough green cars, so they showed a Lambo!

Chupacabras said:
Evo7 said:
Mr Walter Goldsworthy- I doubt they will read you letter and take you seriously because, as we thought, you sound like a environmentalist. And no one listens to them. So there.
The views you expressed....WE HAVE ALL HEARD BEFORE. Some others share the view that TG direction has gone wrong, but they have got over it. And who is this 'everyone' you speak of?

No Boss said:
...when does the free post party begin?

Hopefully before this thread gets locked

I actually beleive this guy is just trying to get a mention on Top Gear when it returns after the WC. Just like the guy who said they don't feature enough green cars, so they showed a Lambo!
Good idea. Perhaps they will come up with some ridiculous conclusion then say it's a public service.

Top Gear is a great drinking game.

Take a shot every time a teeth whitening or anti-american comment is made.

My roommates and I watch is all the time as entertainment, not because we each think we are going to buy an F430. I don't know, maybe it is inspiration to finish our schooling...lol

This guy is clearly off his self-righteous rocker and a few sandwiches, a basket, and a whole army of ants short of a picnic. Not only is he under the silly impression that a car is nothing more than the sum of it's parts, but he also has elevated himself to speak for the entire planet when the viewing numbers are undeniable. Top Gear, in it's current incarnation, is one of the most successful television shows in the history of the world. When Clarkson left the old Top Gear the show spiraled down and eventually landed in bottom of the dustbin where it was quietly forgotten. It was only with the return of Clarkson that the show became the international sensation it is today and they did it without having to bribe their viewers with the chance to win a car at every show.

As has been pointed out before, this Troll (I refuse to acknowledge such idiocy by name) is clearly out of touch with what makes motoring great. It's not just the cars, it's how people respond to that car. If we were to just look at numbers then anything less than a super car would seem insignificant, but it's not. When Top Gear drove the Smart Roadster they pointed out the poor acceleration and the anemic engine, but they also said that it was still a brilliant car to drive that reminded them of the old Triumph and Spitfire. The reason the Troll's inadequate intellect has difficulty with Clarkson's seeming ever-variating opinions is because he clearly does not have the cognitive sophistication to hold the ambivalence of an imperfect machine. Cars have their flaws, and Clarkson (and the rest of the team) will tell you about them. He will tell you when the flaws of a seemingly brilliant car overshadow it's assets and make it a poor choice. He will mock silly design and marketing, like calling the back seat a ?lounge.? He will point out the idiocy of manufacturers claims by attempting the silly things they claim a car can do ? it's called satire, and I suggest the Troll look it up.

Yes, let's get back to the Troll for a moment. First off I have a hard time taking him seriously, as do the rest of you, because of his inflated ego and somewhat... unique interpretation of reality. The fundamental problem is that he can't understand ambivalence; things are either all good or all bad, the viewing public is either with him or against him (with him, naturally). I will refrain from diagnosing over the Internet, but I will say there is a chapter in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) that has this listed as a primary symptom.

The numbers show how many people love Clarkson. It's the vocal minority such as the Troll who try to get their displeasure across by throwing cream pies. You are witnessing the backlash against years of fear mongering and guilt tripping by environmentalist politically-correct hemp-sandal-wearing uptight dendrophiliacs; people with such small existences that they make it their life's work to make everyone as miserable as they are. People who are so obsessed with causes that they have forgotten how to enjoy life in the first place. Certainly an interest in the world around you is crucial, but these people have taken it to the extreme and they want to drag me along for the ride. Clarkson is the embodiment of the Id, the pleasure principle, and the child; as a grown man he does what he loves and he gets paid a ridiculous sum for it. He does the things we all wish we could do. To stick with the Freudian analogy, as a society we have over developed out Super Ego, which is essentially the conscience, and we have neglected the things that make life worth living (Id). There needs to be a balance between the two and right now there isn't. Clarkson is the only person I can think of who openly mocks those with extreme views while being able to stand up proudly after getting a pie in the face and proclaim with a smile, ?Nice shot!? He doesn't take himself too seriously, something the Troll and Clarkson's detractors should learn.

Go back to eating overpriced granola and cultivating that ulcer as you worry about what I drive and what television program I choose to watch. While you do that Clarkson and I will by climbing to the top of a mountain in our offroaders where we will toast to the mountains and the gods of internal combustion and enjoy a smug feeling in the sub-cockle region because somewhere down there a bunch of clueless self righteous people are fuming about what kind of bread we used in our sandwiches.

Note to my fellow petrol-heads
Sorry for writting so much, I get a bit carried away.

Walter Goldsworthy said:
I am not an 'enviromentalist' but you do raise a good point.
TG has recently become very irresponsible to their attidude on the envirment.

Clarkson typically mocks peoples concerns about the earth and frequently suggests global warming is a 'myth' that is part of a natural cycle (proved wrong last year by the Hockey Stick Curve') How on earth can the BBC be allowed to finance this fool who is deliberatly misleading the public about what we are doing to the planet.

I like performance etc as much as anyone but the way JC so absolutely no sense of awareness for the enviroment is sickening.

Sorry, I can not "bite my hands" any longer.
http://www.worldclimatereport.com/i...ce-of-arctic-warmth-a-long-time-ago/#more-152

http://muller.lbl.gov/pages/IceAgeBook/history_of_climate.html
Please read all of this.

This guy will just deny all this data because he thinks that 150 years of burning fossil fuels can affect a cycle which has gone on for millions and millions of years.

BTW is 66 posts in 10 hours some kind of record?

Re: What is Top Gear's problem?

Raven18940 said:
XYZviper said:
Walter Goldsworthy said:
...Why do they feel the public wants to know about the boot space on a car about 5 people in the country can afford. Would it not be a better public service to give us information and their views on cars people are actually going to buy?...

Well, the thing is. Sometimes they review cars that only 5 people in the world can buy. Is it a bad thing? Noooo.

The way I see it, its great that there is a programe where you can watch supercars in action, because for most people (me including) that might be the only place to see thing like The Veiron or The Zonda. Its like movies, they show stuff that odinary people cant see and might never will se or feel through treyr entire lives.

Show cars that ordinary people can buy? Its nice and would give informations to 80% of people which actualy can aford cars like a Golf, Civic... (get my point). But the information about those cars I can get anywhere on net or even better, go for a drive or borow one from my friend because there are plenty of my friends and naboughr who have Golfs and Civics.

If it worent for Top Gear I would never enev knew about the Pagani Zonda and most others.

If you want information, watch Fifth Gear. But for Hollywood, cinematic, camera-work, tire burning, engine grouling exotica - stay with Top Gear.

I hope you got the picture what I'v tryed to write here. :)

Good Luck! :D

What I don't get is that they do review these cars, they just don't spend the whole show doing it. If they were to spend their full hour every week talking about affordable cars they'd run out of cars to talk about in about 3 weeks if they really stretched things. :p

I know that, but the author of this discusion said that supercars shouldn't be reviewd on TG. So I wrote about this isue.

I'm not sayind that its bad reviewing normal cars, its realy interesting to know about new afordible cars, bus saying that they should do supercars because only 5 people in a country can aford them is stupid.

I thing supercars are the main point of TG and should be of all other motoring shows, these are the cars.

Acording to the author, all movies shoud be about a man who wakes up at 7:00 am, goes to work till 5:00 pm, comes back, grabs a beer and sits in front of a TV till late, all over again the nex day - reality in other words.

Like someone said, viewers would be board to death in few weeks time.

may i put a gif that well discribes some of the opinions here about walter?
to walter:
53a220d325544eca34fa6a671c9bbfd3.gif

"Walter Goldsworthy" sounds like the name of a journalist writing for The Guardian. :lol:

I'm assuming that the OP is either a troll or hasn't heard of Fifth Gear.

tone76 said:
"Walter Goldsworthy" sounds like the name of a journalist writing for The Guardian. :lol:

I'm assuming that the OP is either a troll or hasn't heard of Fifth Gear.
Or perhaps he lives somewhere where you can't get Five but is too much of an archaic dinosaur to get Sky/Cable/DTT.

Oh and read down a bit http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/police/cold.html Perhaps this will be the second Walter Goldsworthy to die of a blow with a blunt instrument to the head :evil: (BTW I'm not actually givng him a death threat)

Walter Goldsworthy said:
I have already written a letter to the TG editor and told them exactly what everyone feels so don't be surprised people if your beloved TG gets changed back to how it used to be.

Admit it ... you're just fishing for an invite to be a Star In A Reasonably Priced Car, aren't you? ;)

Jafo said:

Bugger, and me on my vacation. I was just told by a colleague that he saw a news report on the telly that the earth is now warmer than it has EVER been. I said it was a totally ridicolous claim but he wouldn't believe (it had been on TV after all) Man I wish I could shove those number down his throat (now I have to wait a few weeks for the pleasure).

So thanks for the links :D

Bottom Line - I pay my Licence fee (and have done for more than thirty years). I like the show, I am sure that there are shows that you like and I feel are a complete waste of my money; actually Radio 3 springs to mind - do you like Radio3? Total waste of Licence fee payers money if you ask me, but no one does and I don't mind that because I DON'T TURN IT ON. You can exercise your democratic right to do the same thing. Now if what you are asking for is a show that is on BBC that does the numbers and statistics then OK, go lobby for one. Posting such inflamatory a post on a TopGear fan site which essentially where you are, is just going to get you called rude things. I have been surprised how restrained some posters have been to be honest. As someone has already said dis a Corvette's suspension and see what you get. /Edit lost my temper sorry deleted sentiment.

"Walter Goldsworthy"....even the name screams out "FLAKEY!!"

...that buys it is a imbosile.

Must i say anymore?

What a miserable person, this troll is. First off, I genuinely agree with Blind_Io that this troll needs phychological help.

Maybe the troll should instead switch to Fifth Gear. No wait, then the troll will have to demand, in writing, the sexist explotation of VBH's breasts and an end to them!

Re: What is Top Gear's problem?

Walter Goldsworthy said:
It is a discrace that the crew behind Top Gear has allowed what was once a great programme to fall into a filthy dirty mess on the BBC floor. Everytime I watch it I feel another part of my soul die as Jeremy droans on in his moronic voice.

Why do they feel the public wants to know about the boot space on a car about 5 people in the country can afford. Would it not be a better public service to give us information and their views on cars people are actually going to buy?

Of course this may be because Jeremy's views are so idiotic. How are we supposed to follow his senseless change of opinions. He will typically explain that he is driving the best car in the world and we would be crazy not to buy it, then in the last sentence of the film saying actually he has never been in a worse car and anybody that buys it is a imbosile.

Also, why can't have any proper information on the cars. Instead of comparing the cars he is reviewing to fruits etc can he please give us some proper info. Nobody actually cars about his infantile little 'feelings' about the car. How about he actually gets clued up what he is talking about.
He is an arrgant, loud-mouthed old man that is angry that his life has been such a failure so he takes it out on his guests and what are perfectly good cars.

Who do they think they are to say whether a car is good or not? Do the BBC think the public are so stupid we cannot decide for ourselves.

You people may not remember but TG used to be a very good show, back in the days of Tiff and crew we could respect them and they gave us good value for money. Now Clarkson has come along and ruined everything. I will not be paying the BBC anymore money to fund this fool. Well done TG you've turned the whole British public against you.

...k.

Walter Goldsworthy seems to be completely ignorant on how the business works. He should explain why Top Gear's TV ratings have skyrocketed after Clarkson's new format debuted. What Clarkson realised is that the public does not want a technical and straightforward motoring show. He found a niche in the market and is capitalising on those who demand light-hearted and blokish humour with a twist on automobiles.

People watch Top Gear for ENTERTAINMENT. Anybody who takes Clarkson's words as gospel to the automotive industry is a fool. He wants to be an entertainer more than in informer. Clarkson himself makes it blatantly clear on that point. And how do the public react? They absolutely love him. Just look at his popularity in the UK and abroad!

Again, Clarkson and the Top Gear crew does not produce Top Gear as a public service. They do it for the ratings . . . which leads to further funding for the show and the crew. Look at how Hammond and May started climbing up the entertainment ladder just because of Top Gear! Should I even mention Clarkson's success as a writer? Perhaps Mr. Goldsworthy is blind to his book and DVD sales as well.

Wake up and look at reality. Clarkson does it to make money and most people would say he is pretty darn good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.