What is with the war against beige?

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
I need to get this rant off my chest. As those of you who saw the Sentra thread are aware, I love that new sedan's looks. It's mature, upscale, and handsome. That and the interior appears fantastic and I cannot wait to get my hands on it in person. Anyway....color me disappointed when I found out this:

colors.png

WHY!?!?

I honestly don't get it. Why is gray an ok "light" color yet beige isn't? It just makes any car it's placed in instantly feel cheaper inside. It's dull, with limited contrast and visual interest.

Even expensive interiors look cheap and mindnumbingly boring in gray:

*Lexus LS

lexusLS.png

More importantly, why isn't beige/taupe a choice? Automakers will say that "ivory" and "gray" are more "cleanable" but it's downright dull...let me deal with getting the interior dirty and trust that if I make the decision I'll be fine. Subaru uses this excuse with the current Forester...which interior would YOU rather have:

*current Forester*

forester.png

*last gen Forester*

A very nicely done black/dark beige upper/beige lower interior just rubs me the right way, I don't know how to describe it...it's bright and airy yet has that dark contrast:

*VW Passat

*Ford Fusion

fusion.png

*Previous Fusion/Milan

112_0806_07z+2008_ford_fusion+interior_view.jpg

What's even worse than just not offering it at all: Considering it a "luxury" color and restricting it to high trim cars. Note to manufacturers:

STOP PULLING THAT SHIT :|

VWOA are egregious offenders with that as of late. Want a Golf with a cornsilk beige interior?

You better pony up for a 24k TDI model then.

A lot of other car makers do this and the same question applies: Why on earth should the base car buyer be stuck in a coal bin black interior? I honestly don't get it.

/rant

Black doesn't show dirt anywhere near as much and beige looks like ass after about three weeks of use unless you are obsessively cleaning it after anyone sits in it after every trip.

That and people are dull, lets face it, 80%, maybe 90% of car buyers have no idea what they are buying, they just want something to get themselves and their stuff around, and they want the most value for their buck, they do not want the hassle of a beige interior that gets dirty all the time and costs extra, they see no point to it, just like they have no clue what we are on about when we say we prefer RWD, or power, or styling, or that their car from their beloved brand (even if they have no idea why they stick to said brand) is actually something else entirely underneath.

They just want practical, cheap and sensible, and an interior that gets dirty from looking at it ain't it.

Last edited:
Eeeehrmm.....I would rather set the money on fire that buy any BMW and become one of you people, so no :p

What do you prefer inter? Grey? :D A car with grey interior instantly disqualifies itself when I am looking for one. Almost everything else that is out there is fine with me, but grey.

That and people are dull, lets face it, 80%, maybe 90% of car buyers have no idea what they are buying, they just want something to get themselves and their stuff around, and they want the most value for their buck, they do not want the hassle of a beige interior that gets dirty all the time and costs extra, they see no point to it, just like they have no clue what we are on about when we say we prefer RWD, or power, or styling, or that their car from their beloved brand (even if they have no idea why they stick to said brand) is actually something else entirely underneath.

Whoa, are you saying that because Rick likes beige interiors that a majority of people don't care about he's inadvertently making himself a car enthusiast? I never thought that would happen.

Personally I do like beige (or more specifically, cream) leather seats myself, usually. The reason I have a dull grey interior in my Discovery is because I think the beige version looks crap. :p

Whoa, are you saying that because Rick likes beige interiors that a majority of people don't care about he's inadvertently making himself a car enthusiast? I never thought that would happen.

Personally I do like beige (or more specifically, cream) leather seats myself, usually. The reason I have a dull grey interior in my Discovery is because I think the beige version looks crap. :p

Oh he is a car enthusiast......just one with really, REALLY bad taste in cars :p

I don't mind beige interiors either as long as they are properly done and indeed in leather, would not want one though because my car permanently has several cubic feet of mud and dirt in it gets used in fields and construction sites.

Last edited:
I like beige interiors. My Saab had one and it was so much nicer than my parents' Volvo's black interior. Both leather and the biggest notable difference was the temperature. In the winter the black leather is cold and summer hot but the beige stuff was fine.

And my hatred of this sort of stuff is hatred of boring - and in my view a fully black interior is dull. The interiors posted above I would consider much nicer in every way than their all-black equivilents. :) And grey is if anything more dull than beige.

Also; Beige should never appear on the outside of a car.

Last edited:
My mothers's Lincoln is beige with a two-tone interior, beige and beige. I feel weirdly exposed sitting in it. Everything is too bright and shiny. It just feels wrong.

My last two cars have been black and light gray which is fine with me. I like colored accents too.

It's the war against beige, join now and end this threat to our way of life! oh hang on I am over 50. ? Ooooo errrr.

This is why I prefer the blue interior of my truck, it's not my first choice(nor would red from that time frame) but it's so much better than beige or gray.

Fuck yeah blue interiors.

disco_03.jpg

I called up about one with a blue interior before buying mine, sadly it was already sold.

Somebody mention green interiors?
anglia2.jpg

Oh, you didn't? Well.. you should have...

Seriously though, I don't have too much of a problem with beige, in other people's cars. Not for me, but I'm all for choice.

I'm a fan of tan-colored interiors personally, A grey interior always strikes me as cheap regardless of the materials used, it's even worse on high end luxury cars with Gray interiors and aluminium inserts instead of wood.

Beige doesn't go with my wardrobe color choices. Black, blue, and grey do (that's pretty much the entire color pallete of my closet). If I won't wear a color, I won't drive in a car whose interior has it.

At least my reasoning is more sensible than Rick's.