What is wrong with Fifth Gear...

Howie696

Car(s)
MGZT 190+
:rolleyes:
Sorry if this has been raised before, but I just joined and wanted to ignite something, perhaps...
For me, one of the problems is it tries too hard to be Top Gear (and fails to be honest). The presenters aren't as funny, cool or charismatic as Clarkson & co, and somehow what they think about the cars just doesn't seem relevant. They also seem to review cars after Top Gear has already done (a more comprehensive & better) review...
No-one seems to have noticed that Jason Plato is a git! (In my humble opinion...) Am I missing the point, is he a god of the wheel? Has he won so many races that his opinion is not to be challenged? When he drove the Mini Convertible the other week, he described it as 'a tart's car', or words to that effect. Its just that, in the way he said it, and with the intonation, he wasn't joking. His tongue was definitely not in his cheek. Buy the Mini and you're buying a car that's only fit for a mere woman to drive... Unreconstructed Man perhaps? Misogynistic sexist twat? you decide...
The only presenter I feel any empathy with (apart from Tiff who has in my opinion more than earned his stripes) is the young fellow who does the cheap alternative segment (and had the misfortune to drive about with Derek Acorah the sickeningly fake medium). Fifth Gear needs to stop trying to be another programme and to find it's own identity. And to stop ripping off Top Gear features (anyone remember the Toyota Pick-Up/how tough is our old Mercedes Estate coincidence?)
Rant over. I watch Fifth Gear when Top gear isn't on. And to be honest I sometimes change to Dave to watch a TG repeat when Fifth Gear gets too smug and annoying... Peace :D

Last edited:
Whats wrong with? You don't like it...pretty simple really.

dude, if you don't like it then don't watch it, I don't give a shit. I don't like oranges, yet you don't see me bitching about them, now do you? I just don't eat them and go about my day. I suggest you do the same and watch whatever you like to watch and don't watch whatever you don't like to watch. We don't really care. Besides, this useless TG vs FG topic has been beated to a pulp already. To each his own, end of discussion.

dude, if you don't like it then don't watch it, I don't give a shit. I don't like oranges, yet you don't see me bitching about them, now do you? I just don't eat them and go about my day. I suggest you do the same and watch whatever you like to watch and don't watch whatever you don't like to watch. We don't really care. Besides, this useless TG vs FG topic has been beated to a pulp already. To each his own, end of discussion.

QFmotherfuckingT :clap:

I tried to get into 5th gear after watching tons of TG, and I just couldn't. So rather than get all worked up about it, I just declined to download any episodes of 5G.

Simple as that. Go watch good eats. It's a good show, and it has food in it.

Last edited:
It has to be said "Too many car reviews". If you want car reviews "Fifth Gear is the place", if you want to see grown men cocking about in cars, "Top Gear is the place".

Simple as that.

Hmmmm... As a matter of fact, my wife asked me exactly the same question - 'why are you watching it then?' In my defence, m'lud, I can only say I have only watched it when TG has been off the air. Living in Blighty, I have the dubious privilege of watching these shows as they are aired... I was unaware that this is an anglo US/Australian forum...
I DO think, however, that TG is funnier than Fifth gear :)btw, LeVeL, nice avatar.
Now if anyone can tell me how to get more than 220bhp out of my MG...

Fifth Gear just has a different approach to reviewing cars, that's all. Instead of complaining, albeit in a hilarious way, about random useless features and options, they race cars and compare the handling and such. Perhaps not as entertaining, but certainly more informative. To each his own, but I like both, with the nod going to TG.

As for your MG question - drop an LS1 in there. That's my solution to all power problems :p

Since when has Fifth Gear actually reviewed any cars recently? They get in, and give some half-assed points and then forget about it. They've been trying to cram soo much into a little time, and we haven't seen a proper review from them in awhile.

One example is the MKVI GTI review. Johnny doesn't say ANYTHING about the car. This was a review, I was looking forward, but all they did was beat a horse. NOTHING about the car...

Ooer a bit of controversy there methinks lol. Is everyone still afraid to say what they really think of Jason Plato? Is he really scary?
While I'm on the subject, what are we doing in Afghanistan? Answers on a postcard please... :(

well, I managed to watch a couple of episodes of 5th gear, not to get the laughs, but to see their tests. and with most of their conclusions I happened to not agree. With Top Gear - the show is entertaining, but also they make valid points about the cars they manage to test from time to time.
also 5th Gear is trying to copy some of the stuff from the master, but ...
so to answer the question that is the title of this thread - it's boring. boring and often wrong... at least they like good BMWs :)

boooooring

With 16 series of Fifth Gear and 13 series of Top Gear, that's a combination of 29 series, of course there is bound to be some overlaps in material, intentional or unintentional. There's only a finite amount of ideas that one can come up with, and a helping hand from something that worked on another show isn't a bad thing. It happens in the film and music industries as well.

Weird fred. But as we are talking about it, doesn't it seem that they try to make it shitter than it needs to be? It makes me embaressed for them.

The older seasons of FG (with only Tiff, Jason, Vicki, and another older presenter, I don't think even Tom was brought in yet) were very infromative. They car reviews are actually reviews. Then after 3-4 seasons ago when they brought in Tim Lovejoy they tried to copy TG, and fails horribly. Now the show is stuck in between. It's not as good as before all the changes, but not as bad as when Tim Lovejoy was brought in.

The older seasons of FG (with only Tiff, Jason, Vicki, and another older presenter, I don't think even Tom was brought in yet) were very infromative. They car reviews are actually reviews. Then after 3-4 seasons ago when they brought in Tim Lovejoy they tried to copy TG, and fails horribly. Now the show is stuck in between. It's not as good as before all the changes, but not as bad as when Tim Lovejoy was brought in.

+1 to that

I actually like Fifth Gear in some cases, like a good car review or something like that. Even though I hate the presenters.. They are just trying too much and really isn't as charismatic as they could be. But I still like to watch it and it just is

What's wrong with Fifth Gear is that everything is so rushed. There are too many segments and they are too short. Especially the challenge bits need a lot more time than they usually get.

Fifth Gear's main problem is that they're trying a little too hard to be Top Gear - not only in the type of challanges they do (which isn't so disastrous), but they're trying to fit just as much content into a slot that is 15 minutes shorter. If they got rid of one segment and expanded on the rest, the result would be far more focused and not seem as rushed. I still like Fifth Gear, they've got a good mix of presenters at the moment, they just need to expand the reviews a bit and focus more on being a car show.

I mean, for instance, who really cares about the Tiff and Jason absurd challenges, especially when they don't even spend enough time on them? Scrap them and maybe work on some more outlandish or epic reviews instead. I mean, Jason's TTRS review would have been far better if it wasn't so short and rushed. It ended up seeming a bit pointless.

Last edited: