What is your absolute fav. piece of film

^ - well said

Of course you are welcome to find it immature and your opinion is as valid as anyone else's but I humbly submit you may not really understand. It's already been explained to me here at final gear that explaining humour is rarely interesting and even less likely to be educational, but just for the heck of it I'll try.

The jokes about "we won the war" touch something way down in the British pysche, and these days it is (usually) intended to be more in the nature of good naturedly ribbing the Germans than taunting or insulting them. You see, as a brit, I know the influence and primacy of my country on the world stage has been in constant decline over the past 150 years and nothing me or my generation will do in our lifetimes will reverse or restore that. This gives as somewhat black-humour view of patriotism and our national standing. I see Americans proud to be Americans and full of the idea of their potential and the potential of their nation to do good on the world stage. From the little I have seen the Aussies also have an onward and upward view of their nation and its future (though not sure that applies to the Kiwis). Even the French seem to take pride in being very French and the unique value of their culture. As for the brits we know we're a bit crap and we used to be better, but what can you do?

In the same way in your group of close friends you may know someone who 20 years ago when wet behind the ears made a fool of himself when trying to impress a guy/girl, and once in a while you bring it up to tease him when you feel he's getting a bit overconfident or a bit overproud of something he has done, we tease the Germans with "we won the war" and the 1966 football world cup.

It's not that we're trying to prove our superiority, or be offensive. We have enormous respect for the Germans and the German economy, the BMW 3 series started outselling it's highly regarded and cheaper Ford Mondeo competitor here a while back. It's sort of a "Yes - I know you have a stronger economy, better manufacturing base, higher quality products, you're proud (rightly) of the reunification of your nation, in the last 60 years you've rebuilt your nation in an impressive fashion whilst we the brits have watched ours decline, but before you get too big for your boots, don't forget - we won the war".

It's a bit of good natured teasing against cliche and stereotype. We don't really think all Americans are fat and all Aussies are bar staff or Steve Irwin style outdoorsman. And the recent sterotype the Yanks have invented about all the brits having bad teeth or Aussies calling us whinging poms is just as nuts but you give a bit of grief in fun then you take it when it comes back. If it was more than that we wouldn't do it on a light entertainment programme like top gear. All of this is not to say we don't have our own fair share of extremist nutters who use the same lines but clearly mean it seriously, but I refuse to have my culture defined by the extremists.

My view (and only mine) but I wanted to show that's it's not just arbitrary, unpleasant racism. My apologies for diving off topic - I'll say the Ford Fiesta review and the Aerial Atom.

Cheers

Crash

|
It's a bit of good natured teasing against cliche and stereotype. We don't really think all Americans are fat and all Aussies are bar staff or Steve Irwin style outdoorsman. And the recent sterotype the Yanks have invented about all the brits having bad teeth or Aussies calling us whinging poms is just as nuts but you give a bit of grief in fun then you take it when it comes back. If it was more than that we wouldn't do it on a light entertainment programme like top gear. All of this is not to say we don't have our own fair share of extremist nutters who use the same lines but clearly mean it seriously, but I refuse to have my culture defined by the extremists.

Well said (and we don't really hate the French either)

Hello, Crash Biker. Nice to see another one of your literate and considered posts on here after quite a while.

Been thinking for some time about my favourite piece of film - which I take to be different from my favourite challenge or review. There are hundreds - the quality of film making on Top Gear is as good as anything anywhere, but there's a tiny bit in the Botswana film, when they're reaching the end of the Makgadikgadi, where two ostriches are seen running through the heat haze, and Jeremy's Lancia appears from the other direction. It's beautiful. So is the aerial view of Halong Bay, but that's a bit of a no-brainer.

Other odds and sods - the first shot of the Peel 50, standing next to the "enormous" bubble car; a bit in the British sports car film when they're bombing around the track at the Lotus works, when it cuts to Jeremy saying "A bit of history for you..." Don't know why I like that; the slow collapse of the pine tree which Clarkson has shot at in the Winter Olympics; the Rolls Royce Phantom driving through London at night; I could go on, but I'll spare you.

Every Special and Every race are simply stunning but I just couldn't get enough of the amphibious vehicles episode

The Lancia film.
It epitomizes everything I love about cars.

The Polar Special is easily the best film. In terms of shorter segments, I still love the "Favourite British Car" segment thing they did where Jeremy chose the Noble, Richard the Morgan, and James the Rover 75. Totally low budget but filled with joyous good humor. A more recent favorite of mine is the time on the island in Majorca.

Every Special and Every race are simply stunning but I just couldn't get enough of the amphibious vehicles episode

Which one? There were two.

Sorry, I am not the one who said it but am interested in ^.
The only one I know is the one with the Toyboata which was hilarious.
You say there is another Amphibious vehicles? Which episode?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the rather brilliant level crossing PSA yet. It might not be brilliant in technical terms, but it displays the special "top gear" blend of humour at it's best.

Sorry, I am not the one who said it but am interested in ^.
The only one I know is the one with the Toyboata which was hilarious.
You say there is another Amphibious vehicles? Which episode?

10x02.

I quite enjoyed the bit on the Corvette z06. I also enjoyed the muscle car special in San Fransisco. However, every episode has amazing cinematography. It's mindblowing. Theres never been a more bittersweet moment on this show when Jeremy was closing the season in that Aston Martin bouncing off the rev limiter with soft music playing in the background and him driving into the distance. I get chills thinking about it.

Favorite...
Tributes: Aryton Senna, Lancia, BTTC
Roadtrips: Bolivia, US southeast, US west, Vietnam, North Pole
Comparos: Brera vs RX8 vs TT, Driving Road 2 (Romania), Driving Road 1 (Stellvio), Ford GT vs F430 vs Zonda (Paris)
Roadtests: Viper, GT-R, Peel P50, FCX Clarity, Apollo, fourtwo
Races: vs bullet train, vs Plane, across London, vs boat
Challenges: Hammerhead-I Eagle Thrust, amph vehicles 1 & 2, S-Class cottage, modding an Avantime, Britcar race

Last edited:
My favorite eps are the polar spl, the African spl, and the Japan spl. But it's like picking which of your kids are your favorite.

But the favorite segments are certain portions within the Japanese special and the ep where they went to the bridge. The original BBC edits had music / filming that were simply epic. For me, when the music and filmwork are so over the top and mesh so perfectly - that is what makes for an epic work.

That being said, I have noticed that the original BBC scores often don't match either the DVD release or overseas release. Probably copyright? Either way, the revised scores just don't cut it.

I loved the Jaguar XKR review in Season 9x01. Best review of all for me. The light weight supercars was also my favorite, the cinematography was epic (10x01), it just gave me goose bumps watching those cars on those roads, the Romanian trip was just as good with the last part on that road. @_@

That being said, I have noticed that the original BBC scores often don't match either the DVD release or overseas release. Probably copyright? Either way, the revised scores just don't cut it.

You answered your own question. :nod:

My faves would have to be the Focus ST clip, i don't know why, i guess i just love that certain chaviness it has lol :D, the old touring race cars film, with the Jags and the Camaros and the Minis, the one where Hammond got hypnotized, Is a Toyota Hilux indestructible? and the Vietnam special.

I'm an Aussie, I fully understand it.

I find (not sure about others, however) that the constant repetition about LOL WWII WE WON, LOL GERMANS AND WAR LOLOLOL WAAAAAAAAAAAR is a bit tiring, and a touch immature.
We have nothing else! It's all gone down the toilet. ... BBC is probably the one exception and someone somewhere (Looking at you Murdoch) is trying to sod that up now.

How ever I agree - just too much - about time this country pulled its bloody finger out and did something it could be really proud of.

Fairlady
I loved that Focus ST review of Clarksons - the Orange ST driving about like a Chav. ...

Last edited:
Many, and for very different reasons. Vietnam was great - not as funny as some, but the scenery was breathtaking at times. The British sports cars of the last series brought a lump to my throat :(

Edit: And I'd quite forgotten the ski jumping mini! If pushed I'd have to say that was my favourite.

Last edited: