What kind of presenters would you like to see?

What kind of presenters would you like to see?

• Total voters
I think the guys from Motoring (a Canadian car show) would actually be pretty good if they were allowed to let lose and just goof off with cars. The British guy knows how to drive, the guy with the glasses knows how to goof off and rant, and the mechanic guy is very knowledgeable, but also very bland. He could be the butt of their jokes :p

And and "Lol, leaf springs" :lol:

I voted for Now-unknown people, but I think having 2 now-unknown people and one semi-known person would give the show credibility in the non-automotive TV watching crowd..

Rounding out the presenters it has to be Jay Leno, Chris Hardwick, and Mike Spinelli

http://img301.imageshack.**/img301/7366/lenocloseuptc9.jpg
http://img165.imageshack.**/img165/1913/chardwickxy3.jpg
http://img165.imageshack.**/img165/74/650mediumwh4.jpg

I like Boris hes a good driver around the curvy stuff which most here would never believe and has a face to be under a helmet.

http://img151.imageshack.**/img151/632/44635borissaidhshn6.jpg

first of all, Boris Said and Jay Leno have full-time schedules and won't have time to do a TV show. Boris Said is still a very successful driver and he's not going to put that aside for a TV show.

now Mike Spinelli on the other hand would be a great candidate seeing as he's the former editor-in-chief of Jalopnik.com.

Both could fit it in their schedules Leno is leaving his show at the end of the year and Boris is getting older than the average on the circuit. Leno puts in 4 hours or so a day and could easily have accommodate filming of an hour show. Think about it he shift his attention from his show and no one could be the wiser. The biggest obstacle is if he would want to do it.

The most important on that list is Chris Hardwick if you watch him on PBS he does a great job fitting in science and jokes to make it enjoyable.

For me one of the cool things about getting started with watching Top Gear was getting to know the presenters. Before I started watching it I had never heard of any of them, not even Clarkson. It was really neat discovering all the other shows they did before and on the side. I would like for the same thing to happen with Gear.

I voted all unknowns. I'm afraid if they do a celebrity host their prescence will either drown out the other hosts and limit the chemistry that could develop or overshadow the theme of the program or both!

In regards to hosts, I saw that there are a few fg members trying out for the Australian version, anyone going to try out for 'Gear'? Or is the selection process too far advanced now?

All of you forget, Jay Leno's a work-aholic (as profiled in Parade Magazine). He works on the Tonight Show and on the weekends does stand-up for his "regular pay" that he lives off of. Plus all the writing he does? Come on! Jay would jump on the chance of being the next Clarkson.

So, Jay Leno is in. Two unknowns would be nice, journalists even better. Many have good suggestions here... as long as we get blokes.

Of course, we all have a ton of retiring race car drivers who love road courses ready to become the Stig.

I vote for unknowns that know exactly what they're on about, but needs to have some wit to them, and know how to review whilst driving.

All the reviews I ever see on shows other than TG & FG are always talking about the car while someone else just putts along a public road..and does a burnout or two.

The role of the Stig should be Mario Andretti.

It would provide instant credibility to the driving section even to the public unfamiliar with cars. And Mario's a serious car nut.

The other presenters should be journalists and not primarily car guys.

Steve

For me one of the cool things about getting started with watching Top Gear was getting to know the presenters. Before I started watching it I had never heard of any of them, not even Clarkson. It was really neat discovering all the other shows they did before and on the side. I would like for the same thing to happen with Gear.
to be fair, you're american. i'm sure brits knew of clarkson before top gear. i understand what you're saying though. it would be fun to discover new auto-fetishists, but i'm worried about nbc fucking it up.

I'd say the best bet would be a celebrity that's a car guy already, probably a comedian (although I'm not a fan of Jay Leno personally, so maybe Tim Allen...), and a couple of unknowns.

It seems like a semi-pro racer and a journalist would be good ways to round out the presenters.

I love the idea of Mario Andretti as the Stig, but I'm sure that'd be too much to hope for.

I think Jay should be on it, I mean I think NBC can give him Monday off every week like the did Conan for the longest time before the writers strike. They give him a Monday off from the Tonight Show every week and there you go you've got the one day a week needed for filming. Also on one of the episode of the Tonight Show this week some one asked him if he thought about what he'll do after the Tonight Show and he said he'll be able to get another job quite confidently.

Also last night on the Tonight Show he had on Lester Holt from the NBC news division, Jay asked him about getting to review one of those Smart Cars just making it's debut here in the US and asked him what he thought of the car. Lester sounded pretty knowledgeable when talking about the car and joked about it's lack of speed on the highway and it's size. He said it'd be good for cities, I was instantly impressed on what he had to say of a car and I instantly thought that if there was a US Top Gear that he should be on it before hearing about this Gear show on the very same channel.

EDIT: It seems I don't have enough posts to make threads yet but I found an interesting news article about this show. I'll post the link here.
http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/jan/28/nbc-keeps-it-real-during-drought-of-scripted/

EDIT2: Never mind, just took a while to show up I guess. Whoops. Sorry.

Last edited:
Normal guy like any of us who knows their stuff and will call out the companies if their shite.

What exactly does that mean? Are you just guessing?

It means that someone that occasionally visits and posts on Final Gear (*cough*me*cough*) has applied for the spot and has been in contact with the producers. So far, it doesn't mean much, since the show is not completely cast as of yet.