What kind of presenters would you like to see?

What kind of presenters would you like to see?

• Total voters
I voted Journalists- *cough*, I mean, Now-unknowns. I don't know if there is a certain chemistry between the three journalists that make TG so great, but I would like to think that it is a factor.

But now that a few people have mentioned the idea of journalists, are there any American journalists that might work together well?

(In other words, does Dave Barry have a secret passion for cars that he would be willing to share on TV? :lol:)

I voted Celebrities because I think Jay Leno would be a great host for the show.

I don't think a US Stig would work. They'll need a pro driver somewhere, but a 'Stig', ie, a master driver, doesn't have the same mystique in the US. NASCAR drivers get their face shown and have their radio comms monitored. A pro driver turned jurno might be enough.

Leno would be great for the interview segments and his ability to attract celebs to drive a lap. He could also be great in a segment that features normal people's ridiculous cars, ala jay walking, or something of the sort. He would certainly be a good lead, but you would then need to find some co-hosts that are able to energize and needle Leno. Whenever he does guest spots on car shows he's very low key. He would need an automotive version of Kevin Eubanks.

You guys forget how busy a host of Gear will be. You don't just give Leno a day off to do another show. You think he'll fly to Watkins Glen, test a car, and be back in LA for dinner? In order for the show to be successful it will need full time dedication and effort.

I think that whoever is used they should be cast ensemble. An established TV face and 2 relative unknows. Doesn't have to stay the same forever, they need to try things out and see what works.

I vote Jodie Kidd (as usual) as I really think that a coke snorting, Lambo surfing, supermodel must find a home on some motoring programme somewhere. I think the posh English accent will add comedy potential to an American show too. You'd just need to pursuade her to stop racing cars and pissing about with her Gumball chums for the duration of a filming season.

Add me as a vote for Tim Allen. He's funny, boisterous, and known, qualities that, say, Clarkson had even before the new Top Gear began. This opinion is based solely on reruns of Home Improvement, but that's good enough for an internet opinion.

i just thought of someone who'd be fantastic: tom ford! yes, him! his stories are what i look forward to the most when watching fifth gear or reading his top gear articles online. i find his child-like enthusiasm for automobiles to be greatly identifiable. he also has a knack for finding the more silly stories to present or write about. the man has a great wit about him.

as most of may already know, tom ford is a tv presenter on fifth gear, but he also works for top gear. therefore, i can't imagine there'd be a conflict of interest. i'd be a little sad if he left fifth gear altogether. how could such a dire show replace such a great personality as ford's? then again, it'd be great to see him in a bigger role. also, i think his uniquely british slant would be a great addition to top gear usa, contrasting nicely with whomever is cast alongside him.

They *MUST* get Automobile Magazine's Ezra Dyer. That guy is an American Jeremy Clarkson in his own right. He'd be perfect!

what is needed for one host in my view is someone who is able to rip people and cars and look good doing it so mike rowe (the guy who hosts 'dirty jobs ' on discovery channel ) . jay leno would be good , but not inventive of crazy ideas like jeremy et al. so we would need someone like that . i expect that maybe tim allen could fit that role after all . whatever happens , this may not pick up stride until the the 2nd or 3rd season , after all , look how long it has taken top gear .
i expect that this show will either be really good or suck really bad .

One of the many reasons that everyone loves and hates Clarkson is that he doesn't care if he pisses off the auto companies and neither do Hammond and May to a lesser extent. They give their honest opinions.

When was the last time you heard anyone on Motorweek say that a car was trash? Hell, I think they liked the Yugo! All of the car magazines are the same too. They love everything because it pays their bills. If Car & Driver said that the new Chevy Malibu was a the collection of 50 engineers bowel movements then shaped into a car, Chevy wouldn't let the janitors of the C&D offices drive and review another car for as long as GM was in business. I haven't driven the Malibu but with a electronically limited top speed of 115 that it can reach in 4th gear out of the 6 that it has. If the car is so unsafe at that speed it should never have the ability to go that fast. The only good thing is that you'll get 20 mpg at 115mph because you are only motivating the motor to 3100 rpm. But I digress . . .

Another reason we like TG so much is that we know it's not all real and they put a celeb in a cheep car and give them a track day (something that most of us have done or want to do.) Moreover, Clarkson, Hammond and May are (or at least seem to be) good friends and enjoy each other and what they do.

Their personalities really sell the show and that is what will hold up the American Top Gear show the most, especially if it is to be on network TV and hold a prim time slot, writers strike or not, which by the way ended and more than likely canned the Gear show and all of this is for not.

Not sure if anyone here is familiar with him, but Ezra Dryer. If you haven't read his stuff, it's very witty commentary on cars and hippies.

i yield the floor:bow:

i take the floor back !

i have it ! in part , maybe use steve-o and a couple of them like johnny knoxville and do stunts that destroy cars , and freak random people out .maybe have them as guests , anyway .

someone mentioned david spade . that would work perfect .

if i were in charge of production , i would be looking on this site . which they may be ... hopefully they are . there are some good ideas here on these forums :thumbsup:

now here it comes ...:p

i take the floor back !

i have it ! in part , maybe use steve-o and a couple of them like johnny knoxville and do stunts that destroy cars , and freak random people out .maybe have them as guests , anyway .

someone mentioned david spade . that would work perfect .

if i were in charge of production , i would be looking on this site . which they may be ... hopefully they are . there are some good ideas here on these forums :thumbsup:

now here it comes ...:p

You've seriously got to be kidding. I would vow never to watch that show no matter what. I really hope your kidding, please be kidding. :(

I was thinking Tim Allen or Jay Leno...at least I wasn't the only one.

Jay is getting kind of old though, and as far as I know, he doesn't drive his cars hard...hes more of a cruising along in this amazingly fast car, because I can kind of guy, I thought.

Dear God...no wonder Europeans think we're stupid.

;)