What languages you can understand?

English.(fluent)
Broad Scots. (fluent)
French (fluent)
Japanese (know a bit, want to learn to speak it fully)

I am fluent in English and Cantonese, and can understand though not necessarily speak mandarin, vietnamese, spanish, french, german, russian, and some arabic.

I'm surprised how many of you have studied German at some point. :)

And you would be surprised how little I remember :lol:

^^ Air & mgkdk

What, please tell, is Egnlsih ? :lol:
It said english first but then I edited and typed really fast and came up with an epic spelling.

I'm surprised how many of you have studied German at some point. :)
It's because of your habit of invading everybody industrial might and trade importance, Germany has always been the biggest trade partner for us. Currently (2009/12) two times larger than second biggest trade partner Norway according to Statistics Sweden. I believe Germany is the biggest trade partner for most of it's neighbours since you guys are so damn many.

Last edited:
In junior high, I got to choose between German and Russian. Chose German.

I believe Germany is the biggest trade partner for most of it's neighbours since you guys are so damn many.
Yeah we try to shrink our numbers as best we can. ;)
My remark was more targeted at the US and, to some degree, the UK people.

Well, quite a considerable number of Americans have immediate relatives still alive who immigrated from Germany. It's also supposed to be one of the easier languages for a native English speaker to learn. I learned Spanish though, which I don't really remember too much of. I know a few words in German, Yiddish, and Hebrew (spoken only) and can figure out some bits in Italian and Portugese from the Spanish learnings, but I can't say I'm fluent in any of them.

... German is my native language. I won?t go into details what dialects I can or can?t understand since this is prob rather boring for the international crowd here ...
English I can master quite well too. Speaking english is always a bit painful (for listeners) since I?m not used to actually speak it (read, write, listen only) ... and therefore produce a lot of long pauses with "ehhhhhhhhh"s and stuff ... so if you would hear me, you?d prob never guess that I?ve got a near perfect toefl score for english :)
My French used to be quite good too, but that was a long time ago and I?m afraid I?ve lost quite a lot of that over time ... unlike english I don?t read or hear anything in french.
Dutch, I?d go as far as to say that I understand most of it, but I can?t speak any more than is nessacary to order in a Pub or Restaurant ...

English, naturally
German, fluently; was a required class in Defense Schools when I lived in Germany, 8 years.
French, took for 2 years in middle/high school.

Learning Japanese and Spanish.

I took French through middle and high school with the other option being Spanish. But when I got to college, my options were Spanish or German, and I figured, why start Spanish now after avoiding it for 5 years? :p

That lasted only about a year though, I am now in school part-time.