What laptop? Windows, Chrome OS, new cheap and weak or older and more powerful?

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
I'm typing this now because if I don't, I won't.

I use my desktop computer for 99% of my "computing" tasks. The rest I do on my phone. However, my phone is inconvenient to use as a car repair "youtube, PDF manual reading and forum research" device when I'm out working on my car. - the screen is small and not good in sunlight due to being glossy glass, it's finicky to hold/balance on shit, rewinding a video is frustrating, and the battery life tanks like a lead balloon when it's used heavily in direct sunlight.

I also want a portable machine for any family and friends tech support tasks I'm called upon.

I sold my Dell Venue 8 Pro because it gathered dust - the standby battery life was abysmal + I found my phone more convenient due to higher quality apps and a easier to use virtual keyboard. I considered a keyboard dock but even then, I wanted a mouse, it's one more thing to charge/manage....I may as well buy a regular laptop at that point.

Now, I should mention, I do have a laptop. It's an ancient Dell Latitude D630 (14 inch, Intel Core 2 Duo) laptop running CloudReady (essentially Chromium OS). It's seen better days though:

• The screen is ridiculously dim - a combination of age and being spoiled by LED backlit devices.
  • Needs a replacement battery and a new keyboard
  • It's 14 inches and heavy AF

It has had a internal cleaning and repasting that solved the "throttling and heating enough to fry an egg" issues but I dunno if I should put money into installing a new display, battery and keyboard.

My options:
  • Super cheap 10 to 13 inch Windows Laptop (HP Stream 11/13, Acer CloudBooks, ASUS E200 HA, ASUS X205, etc...) - Pros: Runs Windows so I can easily do tech support tasks that require windows. (reviving the BIOS on my brothers computer couldn't be done from my Chromium OS laptop, for example). I can keep stuff offline for viewing outside of wi-fi range as it's a bit flaky in my yard sometimes (car repair youtube vids, manuals, etc). Cons: Not a ton of free space, are slower overall than equivalent Chrome OS systems. Probably drains battery a bit faster.
  • Chromebook: Pros: Cheap as fuck, Simple and fast, can run select Android apps now and will have access to entire Play Store later this year, some look really upscale for the price. Cons: limited offline abilities but it's getting better and I could probably get away with it as long as it'd let me playback downloaded youtube videos and open PDF's offline. If I need a Windows app for whatever reason I'm hosed.
  • Used laptop off eBay: Pros: may be more powerful and better built than a brand new ultra cheap laptop. Cons: Could be picking up someone else's problems
  • Keep and fix up existing laptop: Pros: Machine I already know. Sticker covered lid like a boss. Cons: Add up the repair costs and maybe I could afford a newer, potentially faster computer. Still will be heavy with a dim screen in comparison to a newer or smaller computer. May start to get slower and slower on the web/video playback due to aged internals compared to new computers.

What do you guys think? Common sense says to just buy the Windows laptop but the newer Chromebooks like this all aluminum Acer: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebo...id=1463720405&sr=8-4&keywords=acer+chromebook are appealing. I have plenty of experience with them at work but in an "always connected" scenario.

Pick a Lenovo X220 off eBay.

ebay laptops

ebay laptops

I'm typing this now because if I don't, I won't.

I use my desktop computer for 99% of my "computing" tasks. The rest I do on my phone. However, my phone is inconvenient to use as a car repair "youtube, PDF manual reading and forum research" device when I'm out working on my car. - the screen is small and not good in sunlight due to being glossy glass, it's finicky to hold/balance on shit, rewinding a video is frustrating, and the battery life tanks like a lead balloon when it's used heavily in direct sunlight.

I also want a portable machine for any family and friends tech support tasks I'm called upon.

I sold my Dell Venue 8 Pro because it gathered dust - the standby battery life was abysmal + I found my phone more convenient due to higher quality apps and a easier to use virtual keyboard. I considered a keyboard dock but even then, I wanted a mouse, it's one more thing to charge/manage....I may as well buy a regular laptop at that point.

Now, I should mention, I do have a laptop. It's an ancient Dell Latitude D630 (14 inch, Intel Core 2 Duo) laptop running CloudReady (essentially Chromium OS). It's seen better days though:

• The screen is ridiculously dim - a combination of age and being spoiled by LED backlit devices.
  • Needs a replacement battery and a new keyboard
  • It's 14 inches and heavy AF

It has had a internal cleaning and repasting that solved the "throttling and heating enough to fry an egg" issues but I dunno if I should put money into installing a new display, battery and keyboard.

My options:
  • Super cheap 10 to 13 inch Windows Laptop (HP Stream 11/13, Acer CloudBooks, ASUS E200 HA, ASUS X205, etc...) - Pros: Runs Windows so I can easily do tech support tasks that require windows. (reviving the BIOS on my brothers computer couldn't be done from my Chromium OS laptop, for example). I can keep stuff offline for viewing outside of wi-fi range as it's a bit flaky in my yard sometimes (car repair youtube vids, manuals, etc). Cons: Not a ton of free space, are slower overall than equivalent Chrome OS systems. Probably drains battery a bit faster.
  • Chromebook: Pros: Cheap as fuck, Simple and fast, can run select Android apps now and will have access to entire Play Store later this year, some look really upscale for the price. Cons: limited offline abilities but it's getting better and I could probably get away with it as long as it'd let me playback downloaded youtube videos and open PDF's offline. If I need a Windows app for whatever reason I'm hosed.
  • Used laptop off eBay: Pros: may be more powerful and better built than a brand new ultra cheap laptop. Cons: Could be picking up someone else's problems
  • Keep and fix up existing laptop: Pros: Machine I already know. Sticker covered lid like a boss. Cons: Add up the repair costs and maybe I could afford a newer, potentially faster computer. Still will be heavy with a dim screen in comparison to a newer or smaller computer. May start to get slower and slower on the web/video playback due to aged internals compared to new computers.

What do you guys think? Common sense says to just buy the Windows laptop but the newer Chromebooks like this all aluminum Acer: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebo...id=1463720405&sr=8-4&keywords=acer+chromebook are appealing. I have plenty of experience with them at work but in an "always connected" scenario.

• Been selling laptops on EBay for 10 years and stand behind them all. Most under $300 and have them low end and higher end with I3 I5 processors and all sizes. Being us both gearheads If you see something you like just send me a message on ebay and will knock off another 5% http://www.computersexpress.net/
    Michael

Been selling laptops on EBay for 10 years and stand behind them all. Most under $300 and have them low end and higher end with I3 I5 processors and all sizes. Being us both gearheads If you see something you like just send me a message on ebay and will knock off another 5% http://www.computersexpress.net/
Michael

jcP2TjF.gif

Seriously dude, I'll take a look and let ya know. Anything to support a fellow FG'er.

digital sex news corporation? :D

URL

URL

digital sex news corporation? :D

Yea wish i would have thought that one out better years ago. When i first started selling on Ebay and they paid with a credit card guess what it said on their statement.

.....ComputerSex

I had to call Paypal to have them change it

Yea wish i would have thought that one out better years ago. When i first started selling on Ebay and they paid with a credit card guess what it said on their statement.

.....ComputerSex

I had to call Paypal to have them change it

I did check your listings btw, I'd order one if you had a <14 inch model with a i-series processor...I know those latitudes are tanks (in a good way) having had the pleasure of owning a E6420 in the past.

If I ever need a bigger system though, I'll be headed your way dude!