What makes you go for a drive ?

Ice_warmer

What makes you suddenly say ... I'm going for a drive.

I do it because it clears my thoughts. Makes me forget my worries/regrets for a few minutes. Though to achieve this I need a stretch of twisty, open bit of road ... it also needs to be sunny and all of this usually happens at the wee hours of a Sunday morning. When usually everybody is at home, asleep, with just a few other drivers usually doing the same thing.

Also loads of petrol are needed, to keep my mind busy I need to drive ... enthusiastically.

Though on lazy days, I usually crawl through town, but that gets boring pretty fast.

For some reason i like my window to be down, kinda makes the engine note sharper.

Last edited:
I really like to take drives for the same reasons you posted. Unfortunately I live in a hell-hole for driving. Getting anywhere via car is miserable and to get out to some good decent roads takes forever. For those who know, I'm talking about Arlington. I'm sure I'll have others from this area agree with me on that.

However, when I get the chance to work/see the Mustang I try and take it out at every opportunity. There are still some bugs I need to work out until I can truly trust it on those kind of drives though.

I drive to drive, to feel the car under and around me, to feel it propelling me and making the scenery whizz by, accompanied by the combined sounds of the engine and the stereo. I want to feel the road in my fingers gripping the wheel, I want to be able to not think of anything that isn't necessary.

When I need to ponder things and have conversations with myself, I do that when cleaning and polishing the car. I clean my mind as I clean the car.

If there's sun and a chance of finding something interesting to photograph, I'm going. I'm less interested in the meditative aspects than the sense of adventure, often taking back roads or just going to places I've never been.

Any excuse to drive is a good one. When my car is running, I always enjoy driving my friends around to do their errands and chores, or drive out far to find new places to eat, or to just explore.

I like looking for interesting roads to drive on, and I love having my windows rolled down and sunroof open. I don't think I can live with a car that doesn't have a sunroof or moonroof.

Sometimes going out for a drive helps me think, sometimes it lets me get away, sometimes it brings me together with other people, but most of the time, it's just out and out fun. Unless I'm absolutely rockingly tired, I rarely find an excuse to not drive. If I don't need to get anywhere, then I don't really mind sitting in stop and go traffic either.

The only place I don't enjoy driving, is downtown. Everyone is in a rush, everyone is in a hurry, the directions are all convoluted, full of one ways. It's more irritating than anything else.

I guess that aligns me to the fact that I enjoy the freedom of driving.

I drive everywhere with my A/C off (although I use it every once in awhile to keep things lubricated) and with the windows down. Sometimes I listen to music (usually on long hauls), but I try to make the A to B trips a bit interesting for myself and the passengers. Exploration is another reason I like to drive, I'm very May-esque when it comes to navigation, so that's how I learn my way around.

Any excuse to drive is a good one.

this!

This is also what got me thinking that regular people just don't understand us car people. Whenever I give my firends or other people rides places, they always seem to insist on acting all thankfull even though I tell them I really don't mind. They don't seem to get that I really don't mind :D

Pretty much every reason I thought of when I saw the thread title has already been posted. but I will say that I think I am the only one out of all my friends, even the ones who are also into cars, who still finds a sense of adventure in just going out and driving places. When i'm driving somewhere I always try and go ways i've never gone before, and if i'm not in a rush, sometimes I even go so far out of my way I get lost. and know what? as long as I have a good general idea where I am, I don't mind that either.

nothing clears your mind better than something you have to dedicate all your attention to like driving. when you have to keep your concentration razor sharp in order to simply avoid causing major financial loss/legal problems/death... nothing else matters.

of course, I enjoyed just going out and driving much more when my Mustang was still living...

^this, but I drive everyone around me nuts with that :p

When we go somewhere I drive, when we go on a holiday together I take my car along, or am the one responsible for renting one at the destination....
I do the maps, I do the satnav, not that I need them because the route (and pretty much the entire map I set it out on) is allready in my head, I know perfectly where I am, I know perfectly what I'm doing, I do more miles in a year most people do in a decade, I'm the professional ............you know writing that out I sorta see why that's annoying <_<

Last edited:
When I go out on the bike it's usually to find something I haven't seen before. I absolutely love getting myself lost on purpose and then having to find my way back. I've come across some fantastic scenery and interesting roads that way. It also helps me put all my worries and cares away for a little while. When I'm on the bike all I'm thinking about is what I'm doing and seeing. It's great.

Whenever I need to eat breakfast, read a book, clip my nails :)o), talk on the phone, and use my notebook.

Since I'm young, I really take up every chance to drive. Who knows for how long I or anyone else for that matter will be able to even afford to just go for a drive...So I just jump in, put on my favourite tunes and go. I hope to ger myself a good bike in the future ( enduro ) to just go on trips, relax, drive. But 'till then, the Fiat will provide the joy of driving =)

Any excuse to drive is a good one. When my car is running, I always enjoy driving my friends around to do their errands and chores, or drive out far to find new places to eat, or to just explore.

I like looking for interesting roads to drive on, and I love having my windows rolled down and sunroof open. I don't think I can live with a car that doesn't have a sunroof or moonroof.

Sometimes going out for a drive helps me think, sometimes it lets me get away, sometimes it brings me together with other people, but most of the time, it's just out and out fun. Unless I'm absolutely rockingly tired, I rarely find an excuse to not drive. If I don't need to get anywhere, then I don't really mind sitting in stop and go traffic either.

The only place I don't enjoy driving, is downtown. Everyone is in a rush, everyone is in a hurry, the directions are all convoluted, full of one ways. It's more irritating than anything else.

I guess that aligns me to the fact that I enjoy the freedom of driving.

this

Good weather, good mood or bad weather at home, bad mood to chear me up.

I guess contrary to many of the above posts, I go out when I don't want to think. I want my mind to be totally occupied with other tasks. I've also found it's impossible to sing and think at the same time so I'll put on some old music I know all the words to and make some squirrels miserable with my awful voice driving out somewhere. I'm a pretty horrible singer so I've only ever sung in the car where no one can hear. I like to go out and randomly turn down some road I've never been down before. Sometimes you end up on an awful country lane with a 30 mph limit for 15 miles (that was AWFUL) but sometimes I find cool places and go back a bunch of times. Since I grew up here, I always end up some place I know but the GPS gives me an added level of security and I explore a lot more now than I ever did in the past. Best of all, no thinking about stuff, only driving and roads and tone deaf singing.

I like driving at night too, it's a different feeling from driving in the day. I don't mind rain, I don't really mind snow when it falls, but I hate what happens after. Salt, slush, all the nasty grey depressing shit on the road. I hate that.

anytime and for any reason even for no reason really, the driving part is the whole point of it. i don't particularily like to drive on the autobahn, though, since its a nuisance with any car that doesn't do 200 kph or at least 160 kph comfortably but ours doesn't. driving much slower is somewhat really exhausting, i can't stand it.i also don't like driving on country roads at night because i like to look far ahead and thats nigh on impossible with our old car's poor headlights. cruising through downtown is really nice at night, though.
empty, tight and wriggling country roads, however, thats heaven. i could do it all day long and i feel slighty bad for having already driven all the tread off my partner's tires this spring. :lol:

This usually has something to do with it:

52.jpg