What music do you drive with?

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
First, I'm sure a thread like this has been posted before. I ran a search and didn't see anything that had been posted in recently, but if I'm wrong I'm sorry.

So what songs/bands/albums ect do you listen to when you go driving and why do you like it?

Before I list mine I'd like to state for the record that I subscribe to the "My car, My music" rule. That being if I'm driving, then I pick the music, especially if it's my car. And if it's still my car but I'm not driving, then I still pick the music. Someone doesn't like it, let them drive their own car next time.

I like a rather eclectic mix of music, but I refuse to listen to rap or whoever MTV is telling everyone to like this week. I'm a classic rock and southern blues fan for the most part with a little old (and I do mean old) folk music and some other stuff I have no right listening to. But I'll leave the latter for later.

One song I will not leave the house without is a copy of Ted Nugent's Stranglehold live. It's just perfect for driving anywhere. Incredible guitar work and enough bass work to shatter windows. Once that is locked and loaded, it's game on.

Other stuff I keep in steady rotation.

AC/DC- Various- Comes in very handy when you pull up to some jerkoff with 10,000watt subwoofer.
KISS Unplugged- Just a good assortment of songs played live, and unless you really suck, you can do a better job singing Beth than Peter Criss is and impress a lucky female in the passenger seat.
Van Halen/Hagar- Few songs from the Hagar era who I personally feel is a far better singer than David Lee Roth.
Joe Satriani- These are great if you're driving fast. I'd love to drive the PCH with Summer Song blasting. I'm convinced some of his stuff would be perfect to score a car chase with.
Metallica: Whisky In the Jar- Same as above, good for driving fast. Perhaps the only decent song they did after they lost their tallent.
Stevie Ray Vaughn- Just more great music perfect for a long highway drive. Inspired me to get back to playing again.
Bob Segar- Ditto
ZZ Top- Need I say more?

Now we get into what I like but shouldn't.

Eric Clapton- I blame my parents for this. I heard Clapton so much growing up I can sing along to almost any of his stuff like it's a natural reflex. I guess Bob Seger falls into this catagory too.
The Kingston Trio- I know what you're thinking. "Who the hell are they?". You need to run a google search to find anything on them, but basically it's old folk music. I blame/thank my dad for this. He was a huge fan of this kind of music and my sister and I have many memmories of being in the car with him playing it. We can both sing these songs like it was a reflex.

I also have various movie themes mixed in there. I don't mean showtunes, I mean like from Terminator 2, Aliens, Batman Begins. That kind of thing.

Coldplay, U2, Kaiser Chiefs are played a lot. I like British music too, so a lot of singles from different artists. I think I have 900 songs on my Ipod that I tune into the radio that I just put on random all the time.

I'm kind of a dork (or just lodged in the 90's) and like driving to techno.
My favorite album for that would have to be Anjunabeats: Vol 1, or Tiesto Elements of life.

Coldplay is pretty awesome when you're somewhere that's scenic (like Snoqualmie pass between here and Seattle), and for around town, I prefer The Killers, Timid Tiger, The Postal Service, and Ted Leo and the Pharmacists.

I've usually just got my iPod on Shuffle, and will go from track to track until I find what I like.

Mostly variations of rock, from Chuck Berry to The Clash and from Bruce Springsteen to Iron Maiden. And like Punisher Bass, I also pack Whiskey in the Jar in my MP3 player, but instead of Metallica's version it's Thin Lizzy's. Metallica is represented by Fuel, Ride the Lightning and the cover they've made of Ennio Morricone's "Ecstasy of Gold" from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" movie.

I ride with Coldplay, U2, Snow Patrol and Travis along with songs from the local top 40charts along with whatever the hells in my Ipod.

@ HondaF1
Our tastes in music are almost exactly the same.

I've set up my iPod to have a couple playlists.

One is my 'driving playlist'. I chose the music on that after I noticed that tunes with a decent beat tended to make me go faster and faster. Not nice in SpeedCameraVille.

So my 'driving music' playlist is full of decent tunes that are more laidback, and easygoing. 'Handbags and Gladrags' by Stereophonics, 'Run' by Snow Patrol, 'No Surprises' by Radiohead, the JCB song by Nizlopi, 'Tumble and Fall' by Feeder...you get the idea.

What I listen to on my Sirius radio:

019 Buzzsaw (classic hard rock, mostly 80's and some 90's)
020 Octane (new hard rock)
023 Hair Nation (80's Hair bands)
024 Lithium (90's Grunge/Alt)
027 Hard Attack (Death Metal/Heavy Metal)
128 Sirius NASCAR radio (broadcasting MRN for the races :) )

Usually I bounce between 19/20. Ocassionally I'll drop over to 23/24. I usually only listen to 27 when a certain friend of mine is in the car. I'm not that much of a fan of the Death Metal, but it's easier to listen to it then him going on and on and on about how the bands I listen to are older than me (I know damnit, I don't care!)

I listen to channel 128 when there's a race and I'm in my car at the time. Better quality radio than the local AM station that broadcasts MRN, though Sirius is delayed by like 10 seconds compared to the local broadcast (and MRN is based here in Daytona).

I depends:

In traffic: something like smooth jazz - so I don't go postal and kill someone in a Prius as he's flying down the carpool lane
Open Road: I have a selection of classic rock in an "Open Road" mix on my iPod. (Europeans, unless you have driven across the American West, you have no idea what it's about)
Road Trip in The West: I have a selection of classical music including themes from the great westerns and Copland.
Driving fast or in the twists: That would be my "Go Fast" mix - anything with a fast tempo that makes me want to go fast. There is Garbage, Nightwish, even some Motley Crue and some Blue Man Group.
General Driving: I usually play my "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" mix. Lots of hair bands from the 80s, a few groups from the 90s and a bit of classic rock for flavor.

Whatever is on the radio.

I really don't like listening to music while I drive. I'm not against it or anything - I just never seem to turn on the radio when I'm in the car. Generally I like to listen to the car. It helps me concentrate and it helps me know what gear the car's in and how fast i'm going. I also like to listen out for any little squeaks and rumbles that might get expensive if left unchecked. Of course there are exceptions like on very long journeys on the freeway for example.

But when I do listen to music in the car it's usually jazz. There's a sweet little radio station here in town that plays jazz from 10am till 2pm on Sundays and i'm usually in the car at that time so I often tune in. There's something about the rhythms that suit my car, my driving style and the pace of driving about town on a Sunday arvo and all that that entails.

I also have the CD soundtrack to 'Taking Of The Pelham 123' which I put on a tape to listen to in the car. I thought it would be absolutely perfect for driving to but the cassette player shat itself and ate the tape. lousy, stinkin' piece of crap...

After that I became deeply cynical.

I've thought about buying a CD player for the car but I can't justify the financial outlay.

I listen to KA24DE :D

Similar story hear, my MR2 isn't really load on the outside, but theirs so little insulation that its pretty noisy inside, so mainly i listen to the engine. As far as music goes, usually whatever is on one of the classic rocks stations, although i do like techno when im on my computer, i can't get any of the songs to sound that good inside my car, plus i like the randomness of the radio

I have a weird habbit of listening to a mild Rap when i drive through Detroit, but i feel out of place listening to it anywhere else, so i don't

I drive with no music because my radio is busted and half my speakers blown out.

I ride with Coldplay, U2, Snow Patrol and Travis along with songs from the local top 40charts along with whatever the hells in my Ipod.

@ HondaF1
Our tastes in music are almost exactly the same.

Yep, only difference is that I can actually drive :p

Hmmmmm... Similar tastes to Mr. Buick Park Avenue :D though I'm not a fan of Satriani or Seager...Seager sounds like he's singing on the toilet trying to force a shit ("Like a Rock" never sounds the same to a lot of people after I make that comment).

Led Zeppelin's Accoustic stuff is great for road trips... Going to California, Ramble on, Gallows Pole... With LZ I can just set the iPod to "Led Zeppelin" and let it play the entire collection (and I've got most of their stuff).

ZZ-Top, The opening to La Grange is a great way to start a day off right. It's kind of like a balanced breakfast :thumbs up:

Guns 'N Roses Appettite for Destruction...enough said.

Faith No more I'm just a huge fan of their music, it's nothing special to drive to though.

On occasional, when the mood is right, I'll throw on some Dr. Dre or Ice Cube. When it's about 73 out, humidity is low and it just feels right to cruise, "Today was a good day" and "Nuthin' But a G' Thang" just feel right. This coming from someone that can't take much rap at all.

War : These are the guys that wrote "low rider." A lot of their music is good to just cruise to. If you like music with a lot going on, but manages to not sound to "busy" give them a listen.

If I'm doing any "spirited driving" i'll usually turn the radio down, or off. I like to hear what the engine is doing, kind of gets me more in tune with what's going on, and allows me to hear the moment something goes awry.

Seger is another one to pin on my dad. I've never liked low rider, the instruments they use for the song just get on my nerves.

Another great song is a copy of Sweet Home Chicago I have. It's from 1990 with Stevie Ray Vaughn, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray and Jimmy Vaughn. It's like 14 minutes of pure godlyness. There is also Six Strings Down which is a tribute song to SRV. It's Jimmy Vaughn, BB King, Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitte, Robert Cray.

For me it's mostly about the music itself being played and why. Maybe it's different for me because I play guitar/bass myself.

Sometimes I will let my passenger put one of their CD's in, so long as it isn't one of the following.

Rap- This will instantly get the CD ejected, snapped in half, and thrown out the window. No exceptions.
Electro/Rave/Techno/DJ Fuckhead- This is not music, just simply noise put in random order.
The Beatles or Queen- I loath these bands. I had to listen to both of them for about 3 years nonstop when my sister discovered them. Fuck Waynes World. This will also get the CD snapped in half and thrown out the window. No exceptions.

I am in very good sync with my Buick, I can tell if there is a problem just by feel or noise even with music playing. If I get the slightest hint that something is out of whack, then the music goes off and I listen intently.

The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand

Sometimes Rammstein, DJ Tiesto and his trance weirdo friends, everything else

Eurobeat, Soundtracks, Classical Music....whatever floats my boat.

Right now, i'm playing the soundtrack to Enthusia in my car. Just i gotta be careful when i'm playing Theme to Enthusia.

[YOUTUBE]37NisYhyl4M[/YOUTUBE]

Kindly ignore the crap-tastic AMV and listen to the partial song clip.

Last edited:
U2, Coldplay, Red Hot Chiili Peppers, Boston, Supergrass, Travis, Garbage, Snow Patrol and a few more.