What new car could Lincoln introduce to get your attention as a luxury brand?

Mitlov

Car(s)
2011 Civic Si, 2002 SV650
If you're not into luxury marques, feel free to ignore this thread. If you are, what could Lincoln do to be seen in your eyes as a viable competitor to Infiniti, BMW, Lexus, etc? Ford has been a real comeback kid recently, with a bunch of highly-praised models (from the Fiesta to the updated Fusion to the Flex to the updated Mustang), but Lincoln is still solidly in the "also-ran" camp at best.

So here's three options:

I. So is there something Ford could do with an existing platform to get your attention?

Maybe a MkZ (upgraded Ford Fusion) with AWD and the twin-turbo Ecoboost engine from the Taurus SHO?

Lincoln-MKZ_2010_photo_08.jpg

Maybe a C Concept turned into production...a Ford Fiesta or next-generation European Focus with a premium interior and possibly an upgraded engine and rear suicide doors?

Lincoln-C_Concept_2009_photo_05.jpg

Maybe a MKR Concept turned into production...a larger sport sedan based off the Mustang?

Lincoln-MKR_Concept_2007_photo_01.jpg

Maybe a Ford Mondeo with a Lincoln face, AWD, and a premium interior? (The concept behind the Jaguar X-Type, but starting with a better Mondeo and better engines this time and going with a modern look instead of an old-man look).

Ford-Mondeo_2007_photo_01.jpg

II. Or would Lincoln have to design a new car from scratch to get your attention?

III. Or, as a last option, is there literally nothing Lincoln could offer right now that would make you want one?

Have them make the MKR, fit it with a slightly more subtle grille, and some styling tweaks.

Then give it a twin turbo Coyote with ~800hp.

Convert the entire lineup to RWD and RWD-based AWD platforms with real suspension tuning, go racing in ALMS until successful, and generally work to deserve the classic moniker of "Hot Rod Lincoln" again.

Easy. They need to build a car worthy of an assassination.

1961-Lincoln-Continental-B-W.htm.jpg

Personally, I still love the Town Cars. Body on frame, V8, RWD, so amazingly comfy and roomy. If I won the lottery that would be near the top of my list for a daily driver.

But if I had to think of something new, a nice big luxury coupe with lots of power, RWD and all the gizmos you can throw at it. Something in the vein of the old Mark V's.

A real Mark. Two door, coupe, RWD, powerful engine, lots of cutting edge luxury, classy restrained styling. Like they did in the 50s.

Blaro hit the nail on the head. I would love to see Lincoln introduce a car based on/inspired by the 1961/65 Continental.
And it would have to be RWD and powered by at least a V8. Lincoln seems to forgotten what luxury is about with its AWD, EcoBoost V6 powered cars. Luxury is about excess. It's about one-upping your neighbor. It's about never having to make an excuse for your car. Sure, an AWD drivetrain and turbocharged V6 make sense, but who said a luxury car had to make sense? Look at the Phantom. That is a car turned up to 11. No one is ever going to lust after a luxury car that only goes to 6. I remember when my dad picked me up at school in a 1977 Town Car that his car dealer friend let him borrow for a week. That car was 5 years old at the time, and when he pulled up in front of my high school, everyone gasped and said what a nice car that was. Do you think any new Lincoln would have that effect today?

Oh, and one more thing. I know fleet sales are important, but Lincoln should not sell their flagship sedan to rental agencies and fleets. All it does is cheapen the image of the car to any potential customers. Your luxury car owner wants people to know that he made it - and not have onlookers thinking that he's some poseur who rented it to fool everyone. When was the last time you were able to rent an S Class Mercedes or BMW 7 Series?

Big RWD V8. Aim at the 7-series.

And most importantly, there has to be a hot version. They might only sell 2, but that's the version they'll ship to reviewers and thus it'll drive sales of the lower trim lines.

The "C" is horrible.

The MXR looks exactly like the MXS.

I like how the MKT doesn't look anything like the Flex it's based on, but I still don't like it. Although, it's reviewed quite well.

#1) They need to bring back real names.
#2) Big, RWD V8
#3) The interiors...they are a huge step up from what they used to be, but for some reason, the design just doesn't seem as..."design-y" as, say, the 7 or the A8, etc.
#4) I think I'm one of the few who kinda digfs the split-grill maw, but on the MKR and MKT it's a bit much.
#5) Use lincoln to develop engines to trickle down...not the other way around. Lincoln should be an affordable Rolls...not a Ford wearing lipstick.

'tis very easy, A rebirth of the American personal luxury coupe in the form of the continental mark IX (IX right, just making sure i didn't skipped a number) none of that MK<insert letter of your choice>

Well I'm into luxury brands... but what is Lincoln???? No honestly... I just know that name from the movies and would not even bother to check it out before buying a luxury car...

Lincoln should go back to RWD but make drivers' cars. And as Spectre mentioned they need to start kicking ass in motorsport to get a better image.

Make a GT Le Mans and win races.

Well I'm into luxury brands... but what is Lincoln???? No honestly... I just know that name from the movies and would not even bother to check it out before buying a luxury car...

Lincoln is an American luxury brand owned by Ford. In the mid-20th century, a Lincoln was the sign that you had "made it." For example, when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, he was riding in a 1961 Lincoln Continental convertible. Certain Continental models (all of them?) were known for having rear suicide-doors (rear-hinged doors).

http://img19.imageshack.**/img19/3950/1961lincolncontinental4.jpg

In recent years, Lincoln has become a brand that just sells Fords with upgraded interiors. Largely known for their Lincoln Town Car, a tarted-up Crown Victoria which is often used by upscale airport taxi drivers and "limo drivers" taking high school kids to prom. They're generally known as pretty darned unimpressive cars whose main redeeming features are (1) body-on-frame construction (makes stretching them easy), (2) giant trunks and back seats, and (3) low maintenance costs.

Lincoln-Town_Car_2003_photo_04.jpg

Cadillac, GM's equivalent, had a "golden age" in the early-to-mid 20th century, sunk into dark ages for several decades (often selling rebadged Chevys, often not even good cars to begin with), and then had a real renaissance with the CTS. Lincoln has gone through the first of these two phases, but they haven't hit their renaissance yet.

Last edited:
Blaro said it all. If you don't understand the point, well then there is no hope for you.

Convert the entire lineup to RWD and RWD-based AWD platforms with real suspension tuning, go racing in ALMS until successful, and generally work to deserve the classic moniker of "Hot Rod Lincoln" again.

I'm sorry, but you have it all wrong. Thats what Cadillac is doing, there are plenty of "fast, good handling 'luxury" cars" out there. Lincolns need to be something different, and definitely not some 17' car that tries to be a sports car. Why would I care if my driver is having a good time driving the car? If he is that, means he's likely causing me to spill my champagne all over my Armani suit and ruining the leather.

Last edited:
^ Good point. Seeing as Cadillac is becoming more of a 'performance luxury' brand I think it would better suit Lincoln to focus just on luxury. I'd like to see them under the influence of Bentley; unquestionably luxurious but with loads of power at your right foot's disposal.

I'm sorry, but you have it all wrong. Thats what Cadillac is doing, there are plenty of "fast, good handling 'luxury" cars" out there. Lincolns need to be something different, and definitely not some 17' car that tries to be a sports car. Why would I care if my driver is having a good time driving the car? If he is that means he's likely causing me to spill my champagne all over my Armani suit and ruining the leather.

Hell, I'm already disappointed that new Cadillacs aren't moving towards becoming the big, ostentatious boats that they ingrained into the American consciousness for the past 80+ years. Fuel economy and environment be damned, Lincoln needs to take up the mantle and build us 20+ft boats again!

^ Good point. Seeing as Cadillac is becoming more of a 'performance luxury' brand I think it would better suit Lincoln to focus just on luxury. I'd like to see them under the influence of Bentley; unquestionably luxurious but with loads of power at your right foot's disposal.

This. They also need to manage to provide a good mix of high tech with this "old school" luxury flavor. The Town Car is by no means high tech in terms of in cabin goodies. If they can strike a good balance (MKS has several cool features like Sync, parallel park assist, etc.) then it'll have greater appeal besides a geriatric audience. ;)

Build this as a 7 series competitor.

Or for christ sake... just build this because it's SO COOL!!!!!!!!

interceptor_concept2.jpg