What new car could Lincoln introduce to get your attention as a luxury brand?

Maybe I just don't get Lincoln's history, I think their current line up is fine. Ford doesn't have a unibody RWD chassis for Lincoln to use, and making one just for Lincoln would probably be cost prohibitive. The only problem I see with Lincoln right now is that Mercury is taking a lot of it's potential customers.

Maybe I just don't get Lincoln's history, I think their current line up is fine. Ford doesn't have a unibody RWD chassis for Lincoln to use, and making one just for Lincoln would probably be cost prohibitive. The only problem I see with Lincoln right now is that Mercury is taking a lot of it's potential customers.

Isn't the Mustang unibody? The MKR concept took a Mustang, added independent rear suspension, and stretched the wheelbase to make a sedan. I don't see why they couldn't do that with a production model.

No one buys Mercuries. The brand only exists because Ford can't afford the billions to close it down. It doesn't cost much to change a couple badges.

What Ford should do is make the Falcon a global platform. They can use it as a base for these Lincolns and the Mustang.

Isn't the Mustang unibody? The MKR concept took a Mustang, added independent rear suspension, and stretched the wheelbase to make a sedan. I don't see why they couldn't do that with a production model.

Yes it is. And it is designed to fit an IRS. I still think the Falcon is a better platform though.

Last edited:
Maybe I just don't get Lincoln's history, I think their current line up is fine. Ford doesn't have a unibody RWD chassis for Lincoln to use, and making one just for Lincoln would probably be cost prohibitive.

What's the Falcon and Mustang, chopped liver?

The LS was a good car. From what I've heard it was better than the S-Type.

This. Probably the only Lincoln I ever looked at and thought, "Wow, I really would like to have one of those," with it not being a compromise (not that I could afford one, being a starving college student ATM).

If they bring it back with a slightly more sleek design to go with their newer stuff, and maybe work suicide doors into it, then put it in the "Major Tom" commercial, I'm sure a large segment in the US would start to drool.

Yes it is. And it is designed to fit an IRS. I still think the Falcon is a better platform though.

Wouldn't the Falcon platform require major modification to meet US safety requirements? The same bureaucratic nightmare that kept the current Euro Focus out of the States. It's not an unsafe car by real-world measurements, but it doesn't meet certain standards.

That's a big reason why I was thinking Mustang over Falcon. You get to skip all the bureaucracy to sell it in the States.

Well, Lincoln already has my attention, but here's my answer anyway:

I think what they need more than anything is a replacement for the aging Town Car. The rest of the Lincoln line is far more modern and they really need a flagship vehicle to capture people's imagination and attention. Right now I'm more impressed by their smaller offerings - which is good as people are scaling down the size of their car purchases.

As a consumer, I just think it's odd that the largest sedan in the Lincoln line is also based on the oldest chassis. I understand that due to the body-on-frame construction it makes a great stretch limo, but it doesn't appeal much to me as a retail customer. For full size luxury lines, I think that Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, and Lexus are all superior to the Town Car. Even Cadillac is more appealing simply from an aesthetic point of view.

I think Ford needs to build a showcase car, something that is available with every feature and bit of tech they can cram into it. It needs to be stylish, clever, and not handle like a battleship. They need something that will draw attention away from Cadillac, but also give Lexus and Jaguar something to think about. Right now the development is going from the bottom up, and that has worked well for Ford so far. The Town Car is much like the HMS Hood or the USS Utah, a tried and true veteran, but past her prime and in need of a refit.

I'd also like to see a shift for the midsize and large cars to a primarily RWD platform with more AWD options (hey, I live in the snow belt, I like AWD).

Wouldn't the Falcon platform require major modification to meet US safety requirements? The same bureaucratic nightmare that kept the current Euro Focus out of the States. It's not an unsafe car by real-world measurements, but it doesn't meet certain standards.

That's a big reason why I was thinking Mustang over Falcon. You get to skip all the bureaucracy to sell it in the States.

They can make the Falcon compliant when they refresh it. Make the next platform a global one.

Yes build that! Get the sodding interior right though - why do American car manufacturers get luxury so wrong so often? I agree that is an awesome looking car and like Spectre says should be RWD with a very very smooth engine with urge - if you know what I mean. Does not HAVE to be a 7 series competitor yet it would go a bomb in the US but they need to get up there with the 7 series because they should be a worldwide brand!

They do need to go RWD. Last I heard Mullay was driving a RWD Lexus.

I think Ford needs to build a showcase car, something that is available with every feature and bit of tech they can cram into it. It needs to be stylish, clever, and not handle like a battleship. They need something that will draw attention away from Cadillac, but also give Lexus and Jaguar something to think about. Right now the development is going from the bottom up, and that has worked well for Ford so far. The Town Car is much like the HMS Hood or the USS Utah, a tried and true veteran, but past her prime and in need of a refit.

I'd also like to see a shift for the midsize and large cars to a primarily RWD platform with more AWD options (hey, I live in the snow belt, I like AWD).

Y'know, that's pretty much what Chrysler did with the 300: RWD platform, bit of style, AWD option, and everything they knew shoved in, in their case a Hemi, cylinder deactivation, and entertainment system. Ford being bigger and more stable, they could actually make it work for longer than just the flash in the pan that the 300 was, and actually keep updating it as time went on. It's not like the concept of yoinking ideas from the competition is either frowned upon or new in the industry. Ford, get your asses in top gear and get your RWD on!

300 was nearly a great car but for some stupid cost saving it would have been - breakes that worked very well would have been nice for instance. B;oody thing looks awesome as a saloon but the wagon is just bloody amazing.

No one buys Mercuries. The brand only exists because Ford can't afford the billions to close it down. It doesn't cost much to change a couple badges.

Mercury's sales are poor, but even with that Mercury will still sell ~85,000 vehicles this year. Not bad for re-badged Ford.

Get rid of the fucking lame 3 letter acronym naming. Bring back the Continental, Zephyr, and Town Car but as reincarnations of the embodiment they used to have.

Old Zephyr:
20040326_LincolnZephyr.JPG

Continental:
1956LincolnContinentalMarkIICoupe.JPG

As cool as the later model Conti's were, I think they need to bring it back as a personal luxury coupe, something conspicuously lacking from their current lineup. It needs to have distinctly Lincoln styling, and a good engine. The last part would be easy as the new ford power plants are pretty damn good.

Basically, they need a Halo car to beat all of these:

bentley-gt-speed.jpg

9848-2006-bmw-m6.jpg

Cadillac-XLR1.jpg

(is this even being made still?)
lexus_sc430.jpg

audi-s5-3-big.jpg

Last edited:
Starfox, none of those are even remotely similar. If they tried to do that Lincoln would lose it's identity and fall apart.

Starfox, none of those are even remotely similar. If they tried to do that Lincoln would lose it's identity and fall apart.

They are all premium 2 door personal coupes. How are they not similar?

Bently != BMW != terrible hairdresser's Lexus.

Can I get a totted up Lincoln version of a Thunderbird?